Monday, November 28, 2005

Be smart! Warm up before dancing!

I finally got the CDs of Mexico pictures from Mom and managed to forget them at home, so no pics today.

I went dancing Tuesday night for the first time in a couple of years and even though I showed my age by not knowing any of the newer music, I danced my fool ass off to some good old goth/industrial! Boy, are Tuesdays different from back in my dancing heyday when the bar would be PACKED by 10:30 with more people waiting in line to get in. Last Tuesday was nice because I never had to fight for a spot on the stage. The first song DJ Darren played after the Garbage/GoldFrapp Video Appreciation was Sisters of Mercy's This Corrosion. Oh, it was incredibly satisfying to have room to dance. I was a little bummed that it was my first song as I was not really warmed up, but I will never miss a chance to dance to the Sisters. I somehow managed to hurt my shoulder during This Corrosion, but I didn't let it stop me from dancing to everything else that I knew and/or appealed to me. My friends and I have discussed going on a Saturday when it's all goth/industrial (vs. newer music), so we'll see. I went a few times a couple of years ago mostly by myself and it was just not as much fun.

I spent Tuesday night after dancing completely unable to sleep as I had taken a Vicodin leftover from my bout with Shingles back in March so that I could dance (stupid knee). And it turned out that my right shoulder was just killing me. I took another vicodin when I got home, but it didn't even touch the debilitating pain in my shoulder – and just kept me awake. I wish I were a bit more normal when it comes to painkillers. I called the doctor first thing in the morning (since I was awake) and made an appt. for later that day. I couldn't even lift my arm to brush my teeth without being in excruciating pain. And I had stuff to prepare for Thanksgiving. It hurt to cut bread! How lame is that? The doctor gave me a new painkiller, Percocet. Let's just add that to the list of painkillers which do not kill my pain. In fact, not only did the pain remain, but I also got to deal with an itchiness all over my body. There is simply no danger of me becoming addicted to painkillers because I don't get whatever effect other people get from them. The doctor also prescribed X-rays, now to see if anything showed up. My shoulder no longer hurts but when I lift it above my head I can feel and hear a click like something isn't quite right. The lesson here is "Always warm up before dancing." Including arm exercises. Who knew?

The rest of the weekend was uneventful. Thanksgiving went well – I even got to eat dessert as YS made a caramel-chocolate truffle pie and it was quite yummy. Friday I went to the symphony with YS and although it was a nice concert, there was nothing unbelievably fabulous that brought me to my feet. Saturday my goal was not to leave the house at all and I accomplished that goal – I love setting achievable goals for my life. I knitted and watched Highlander: The Series (finished Season Five). Sunday was the opening mass for my new church and it went very well – although Mass did run a titch long at 2 hours and 17 minutes. Egads!!! You'd think we were Baptist or something!!!

The weather has been simply screwy! Friday of the Bauhaus concert was FREEZING! The following Sunday was beautiful. Monday and Tuesday were basic November days. Wednesday was shitty-ass snow. Thursday and Friday were cold (of course, it's always crappy when I have symphony tickets). Yesterday was 50-something and rainy. Today I heard it's supposed to get up to 60F. Expect the entire Detroit population to come down with colds by the end of this week.

And now you've been brought up to speed on the past week in my ever scintillating life!

7 Comments:

At Monday, 28 November, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, sweetie - hope you feel better soon! I think dancing is pretty much the only fun form of cardio. Other than shopping, of course!

 
At Monday, 28 November, 2005, Blogger Jason said...

Re: Thanksgiving volunteering.
Very true, but it would also give me an excuse not to be with family on Thanksgiving. Point taken.
Glad you had a good Thanksgiving. Sorry about the pain. I can sympathize right now and I'll I've got is Motrin. Ouch!

 
At Monday, 28 November, 2005, Blogger Beth said...

Holy crap, you couldn't pay me to dance ... let alone to goth industrial, which sounds like an oxymoron. =) I hope your shoulder is feeling better. I'll take the leftover painkillers. Haha.

 
At Monday, 28 November, 2005, Blogger Dave said...

Every time you mention a great band like SofM I get some kind of jolt that takes me back ahem-teen years or so. Always great to be reminded.
I can't believe Percocet didn't touch the pain. Man, I was on those with back pain a few years back and they were a GODSEND! The first time I took them I made the mistake of taking two. It knocked me out for about 18 hours. It was amazing! :o)

 
At Tuesday, 29 November, 2005, Blogger mr. schprock said...

I feel your pain. I've got something going on with my right knee that prevents me from running, but I can bike with no pain at all. Weird…

The last time I danced was 1986, BTW. I don't want to say I was bad, but afterward every nightclub in Boston posted conspicuous pictures of me with this message: Refuse Admittance!

 
At Tuesday, 29 November, 2005, Blogger Scott said...

I tore my knee a couple years ago and never fixed it, so I'm an old cripple when it comes to running. I like getting old in some ways, but physically it sucks.

 
At Tuesday, 29 November, 2005, Blogger Kathleen said...

Suzy - Dancing is the most fun cardio ever!!! I miss it.

Jason - Gotcha on avoiding family - especially with a 2.5 hour drive!!!

Beth - You don't dance?

Dave - I like making you feel old! Ah, you're one of those, the ones painkillers work on...must be nice.

Mr. Schprock - I found my stationary bike hurt my knee more than the elliptical. And walking yesterday definitely bothered it. *sigh*

Scott - Why don't you get it fixed?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home