Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Bauhaus Review

Sorry for no update yesterday. After thinking about it all weekend I just didn't get around to writing it.

The Bauhaus concert sucked completely. Okay, Jason, time to click the little boxed X in the upper right hand corner.


Okay, do you think he's gone?


I think it's safe now.



Now on to the real review. BAUHAUS was unbelievably awesome! Usually after attending a concert I'm over the music of the band and I put it away and listen to something else. Not this time. I've been listening to it non-stop since Friday night (to say nothing of the two months before it). Okay, that's a slight lie, yesterday I broke out Love & Rockets and Tones on Tail. And it's all good!!!

I normally am not all that enthralled with guitar solos, but can I just tell you that Daniel Ash is the coolest guitarist ever? I declared him my Favorite Guitarist Ever after the concert. I never realised before Friday night how his guitar playing is mostly responsible for Bauhaus' distinctive sound (along with Peter Murphy's vocals, of course). And holy cow, is Daniel Ash short!!! He was wearing these funky platform shoe/sandals dealies which were at least 3 – 4 inches high. Craziness!!!

Peter started off the show looking like a bad lounge singer in a bad velvet jacket, but he lost the jacket by the third song and that helped. The only time he looked truly goth was for Bela Lugosi is Dead which was the very last song (and 2nd encore) and he came out in a long coat. Very cool.

They didn't do St. Vitus Dance, Spy in a Cab or Third Uncle, but they did do Terror Couple Kill Colonel which I love and a fabulous version of Ziggy Stardust. They're near the end of their tour, but if they come to a venue near you, do your best to see them. It was brilliant!

I have a new person to add to my List of Five. I had to remove Peter Wingfield because I found out that he's married and just had a baby. I know, but it's my rule. I still swoon a little when I see him and since I'm in Season Five of my Highlander: The Series DVDs I'm seeing him daily, but I have to do the right thing and replace him with David J, bassist for Bauhaus. Yeah, I told you that I was NOT over the whole Bauhaus thing. Here's the new listing:

1. Gary Sinise
2. Edward Norton
3. Ed Harris
4. Jason Statham
5. David J

And aren't I nice? I included links to pics this time.

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, 22 November, 2005, Blogger Dave said...

Ahh...Daniel Ash. Has music ever been so sweet? The man plays a huge part in the soundtrack of my youth. TonT's GO!,L&R's Ball of Confusion,Yin and Yang, Haunted WTMD, but the one that has a special place in my heart is Saudade. Many years ago I stole it for a video report of a young boy who died of cancer. The music was just perfect for it.
Glad you had a good time at Bauhaus!

 
At Tuesday, 22 November, 2005, Blogger Scott said...

Well you lost me. I have no idea who Bauhaus is, but it sounds like I missed a great show.

 
At Tuesday, 22 November, 2005, Blogger fakies said...

I hadn't heard of Bauhaus either, but I'm with you on the Jason Statham making your list. He is fine all day long.

 
At Tuesday, 22 November, 2005, Blogger Glen said...

What Miss Kathleen failed to mention in her review was the fact that she was so far down in the front of the hall that she could touch the band. Also, while they were on stage the rest of the world melted away for a couple of hours and Kathleen would not have noticed if the back half of the builing crumbled away in an earthquake...in other words she was WAY into it.

 
At Wednesday, 23 November, 2005, Blogger Jason said...

I clicked on the "X" like you said and I got kicked offline. I don't get it... ;) Glad you had a great time. I'll just have to do with my memories of the '99 reunion. Does Randy Mantooth not fall into your List of Five? Did you know that he was in one of my favorite episodes of "Battlestar Galactica"? Edward Norton is an obvious choice. Yum! (And I'm straight...) I think you're the only female friend of mine who doesn't have John Cusack on their list.

 
At Wednesday, 23 November, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! Ciaryland. It's amazing you knew how to find me. No wait - surely the drunken email would've given it away anyway!! Did they play 'Bela Lugosi's Dead'? That is one of my top teenage tunes of all time ever. I think I'm going to have to dig that out...

 
At Thursday, 24 November, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a little note to say..

Happy Thanksgiving, Kathleen!

You're in my thoughts today.

Love, Clarity

 

Post a Comment

<< Home