Thursday, November 10, 2005

I have returned unscathed from Mexico (as has Mom)

I'm back! I got back Tuesday night but yesterday was a busy day at work and I didn't have time to read any blogs (save one - I figure I'm going to have to catch up a blog a day having been gone ten days), much less update my own.

And even though Mom was along for the ride I still had an incredibly fabulous time in Mexico. I can't believe I went more than 20 years between visits. I simply love that country, that city and the people! I practically had more warnings than well-wishes on my trip as Mexico City has quite the reputation for being dangerous and my Mexican family corroborated the dangerousness.

One story I heard from a co-worker (the Libertarian, for regular readers) was that a man from my company was down in C d M (Ciudad de Mexico) for work and that he took a "green taxi" and they found him in a bad neighborhood shot dead and robbed. And let me tell you, those green taxis are EVERYWHERE!!! Even my Mexican family won't take one or any taxi off the street. There are private taxi companies that you call and they come to your house. Mom and I had occasion to take one on Saturday morning to the race track because my friend Jo. didn't show up to take us to the race track. The man was very nice and got us to the racetrack in perfect time. And when we couldn't find Jo. at the track that afternoon, I used my cell phone (I can't wait to see my bill for this month with Mexico roaming charges) to call the house (that's a whole 'nother entry) and they called the taxi company for us and we waited on the street corner waiting for Cab #245 to pick us up.

I had asked Jo. about the taxis and he said that even he shouldn't take them although sometimes he's stupid (his word) and does. I think if you look like you have even a little bit of money that you shouldn't take the off the street taxis.

I don't have pictures yet, so I'm hesitant to write anything about the trip because I want to include pics. I don't have a camera, so I have to wait for Mom to develop her pictures. I asked her to get CDs, but Mom isn't all that efficient about things as I gave her a disposable camera more than a month ago to develop (she has the Costco membership) and I still don't have the pics. I wish I had thought beforehand to have her get a CD of that one. I took many pics of the kids and I know you're all dying to see my very cute felines!

I didn't get to see everything I wanted to see but that's because there is so much to see there! We missed the Castillo de Chapultepec and the Basilica of Guadalupe and the Plaza de Tres Culturas (which has a Nauhautl name of something like Tlatlalenco). Other than that we got to the Pyramids at Teotihuacán, the Museo Nacional de Antropologia, Museo Frida Kahlo, the Museo Casa Leon Trotsky, El Zocalo (which includes the National Cathedral, the Palacio Nacional, and a hotel where my uncle liked to sit on the balcony and have a cup of coffee and look out over his favorite city in the world), and the Palacio de Bellas Artes. I will give details later once I get the CDs of pictures from Mom. You don't want to read about it all twice! Suffice it to say that I had an incredibly fabulously lovely time and can't wait to go back next year – even if Mom will be going as well. *sigh*

5 Comments:

At Thursday, 10 November, 2005, Blogger Erica said...

And mine was the lucky blog - thank you :-)

I am so glad you are back! And unscathed! And unmurdered! Etc. Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

 
At Thursday, 10 November, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home!

 
At Thursday, 10 November, 2005, Blogger fakies said...

Glad you had fun and made it back safe. I've always wanted to go to Mexico. One of these days...

 
At Friday, 11 November, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, sweetie!

I've been to Mexico several times, and love it. Not one bad thing has ever happened to me there, it's beautiful, has a fabulous culture and history, and the people are wonderful.

 
At Friday, 11 November, 2005, Blogger Dave said...

Welcome back!
Glad it all went well and you made it home safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home