Thursday, December 07, 2006

La Mer (Debussy)

I have absolutely nothing with which to bore you today (or this week for that matter). Oh wait, yes, I do.

Last Friday I did another craft show, this time up in Royal Oak, instead of Birmingham, but I have determined that the problem with church craft shows is that all the people there are from the church (regardless of how many signs you post on street corners), so they're all more inclined to buy from their friends. I sold five or six scarves, though, so that was better than the first one. I sold a second one to my friend's mother (the only scarf I sold at the Birmingham show), one to my friend's Aunt (Aunt Agnes was 80 years old and great company, to say nothing of the help she gave breaking down tables after the show), and then four to various people. I was pretty happy with that showing, considering the first one.

But since I still had about 30 scarves left, I signed up Sunday for my own church's craft show which is this Saturday. I'm dreading it a little bit because last year they did a terrible job of advertising and nobody freaking showed up until around noon and the damn thing starts at 9:00. I think 9:00-4:00 is a bit much. At the very least 10:00-4:00!!! I am NOT getting there early to set up, I can guaran-damn-tee that! And I'm not just selling scarves on Saturday (good thing since I sold at least 8 yesterday at work), I'm also selling rosaries. I've been beading all week and my hands were killing me last night as I made my second one of the evening. I want to make at least another two tonight (if not three) since I won't have time tomorrow as I'm going to see The Brian Setzer Orchestra tomorrow night with Martha. We'll be dining oh so pleasantly beforehand at Union Street. We will be sharing an order of their French Fries which are just so yummy. I know, I know, they're French fries, how can they be bad? But you know how some are just better than others? I discovered them when I was there for Pamela's b-day back in April and even though I was stuffed, I had to order some after tasting Pamela's. Not that we needed three orders of the damned things, but oh so delicious. It's not as veggie friendly as my favorite restaurant, but Martha doesn't like my favorite restaurant. So sad.

Martha and I went to see BSO two years ago for their Christmas show and loved it, but with last year's budget cuts coming in January and neither of certain we'd have a job after that, we decided to behave ourselves. This year though? Hell with budget cuts and job cuts, we're going anyway. I think that's the way most of us are around here now. We've had this crap hanging over us for the past two years at least (Job cuts next month. Oh wait, those weren't enough, so we'll be making more cuts in four months.), so nobody is stressing too outwardly anymore. It's kind of a "What will be, will be." attitude around these parts, mostly. Even though I hate Christmas music except on Dec. 24 & 25th, I can handle Brian Setzer's brand. If you have never seen him and he's coming to your town this Christmas, do yourself a favor and go to the concert. It's a lot of fun.

Saturday, as previously mentioned, I'll be sitting in the school across from my church hoping that people buy my wares and quickly, so I can get the hell out of there. I have symphony tix for that night (I exchanged my normal Friday night tix for Saturday so I could go to the BSO). The DSO will be performing Respighi's Pines of Rome & Fountains of Rome. My aunt, uncle and cousin are going as it's my cousin's favorite piece of music (Pines, I think) and my uncle quite enjoys it as well. If any of you saw Fantasia 2000, the whale piece was done to Pines of Rome, I think, or Fountains. One of them anyway. Ah, I looked it up, it's was Pines.

Mom and I were supposed to go to a concert on Sunday but when I went to make reservations today it was sold out. Oops. I had no clue until Mom told me this past Sunday at church that we needed to do that. A friend of mine is playing and all his previous concerts that I've attended, I've just shown up and that was that. Mom told me on Sunday that we needed reservations and that when she went last year, she had just shown up, but they let her in anyway. Ah well, I think I might need a day at home this weekend anyway, so it'll be fine. I was telling one of my bosses about my rosary making and how it's killing my hands and she made noises like she was interested, so I asked her if she wanted me to bring in any that I don't sell tomorrow. Yes, she's interested in one for herself and one for her mother-in-law, so I mentioned that I have these pink pearls and her ears perked up, so Sunday I'll finally be making the pink pearls I bought two years ago into a rosary (which had been the plan all along, I just hadn't gotten that far). I'd make it tonight and bring it in tomorrow, except that I really need to make more to sell on Saturday, and it's not like my co-worker can't wait as it'll be a Christmas present.

How's everybody's Christmas shopping going? I have completed the nephews, but haven't even started the nieces yet. Mom's Christmas present is almost done. I just need to bind off. The problem here is that it's a picot bind off purlwise and I can't get it to make sense. I'm completely illiterate when it comes to making sense of knitting patterns. The Terror Children niece wants her poncho back fixed. I gave it to her a couple of years ago, but it wasn't fabulous and looked more like a cape than a poncho. She loved it anyway, but the SIL wouldn't let her wear it, for some reason. I’m sure it's in the Bible or something. So, I've been taking her old one apart and trying to figure out what kind of poncho I can make out of Bernat Boa (pink and purple, of course) that's easy and quick enough to get done in time for Christmas. Any ideas, any of you knitters out there? Beth? Grandma's b-day is Sunday and her present is done. And I think for Christmas I'm going to get her a Rosemary Tree/Plant. My friend Dan got one for his parents and they loved it. I think it's a great idea, since then I don't have to knit anything else this Christmas unless I really really really want to (or it's for me). ;-)

And even though most of weren't around for it, don't forget to pray for those poor souls killed at Pearl Harbor oh so many years ago.

6 Comments:

At Friday, 08 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Christmas shopping so far consists mainly of a large pile of guilt, a sense of impending panic, and a few random gifts I managed to buy so far. I am having a lot of trouble coming up with fresh ideas for people.

 
At Friday, 08 December, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

I'd buy a black or grey scarf if you have one available. 95% done with Christmas shopping.

 
At Friday, 08 December, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

You might like the fries at our steakhouse. They are big, salty, and beer-battered. Simply excellent.

 
At Saturday, 09 December, 2006, Blogger LL said...

Maybe you'd ought to try peddling your wares at the local Afghanistan Afghan Stand... ;)

 
At Saturday, 09 December, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I love Brian Setzer and have never had the opportunity to see him live. I'm so jealous! I am, however, going to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra on Wednesday! It'll be my 3rd time seeing them. Mom bought us all tix as part of our Christmas gift! I'm so excited!

I hope you sell tons of scarves!! How much are they? Do you ship? I'll buy one! I love scarves!

 
At Monday, 11 December, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Fermicat - Guilt? You Catholic? ;-)

Jason - Sold the grey one. Woohoo!!! If you want a scarf, I can make one for you, no problem.

Trina - Hmmm, except for the salt. I hate salt.

LL - I have had the best luck at work.

Heather - Heck yes, I'll take pics and post them for you to peruse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home