Wednesday, November 08, 2006

This Heaven

Yesterday was a pretty good day considering how much it freaking rained here in Southeastern Michigan. I woke up early (7:30 is early for me when I have no plans for the day) and got to my polling place before 8:30 a.m. I was officially voter #70 at the old folks' home. I was smart and dressed for it. Two years ago I dressed too warmly and was dying as I waited in line. I didn't have a line this time (not worth mentioning) and was still glad that I had on a short-sleeved T-shirt. Bloody hell! But it was HOT in there. It's nice that apparently people who can barely hold jobs at Hardee's are allowed to vote. I saw someone while voting yesterday who worked at the Hardee's on campus. I'm not sure he was allowed to make sandwiches or anything other than drinks, I think he just cleaned tables and such as he's what might be called "slow." Yup, he was there voting yesterday. He told the guy that he couldn't read the ballot because he forgot his glasses, I'm questioning if he can actually read, but he got to vote. I had the little voting "booth" next to him, so I got to overhear everything as the poll worker (there were only three at a precinct that was supposed to have four) read everything to him. "I don't care about that. When do we get to the judges?" I was trying not to listen, but Fred was never very quiet. I accomplished my civic duty and walked home in the rain.

I was so excited yesterday morning when I turned on the TV to accompany my knitting and found that The Equalizer was on SpikeTV. I LOVE The Equalizer and used to tape it when it was on A&E ten years ago or so. It was one I hadn't seen, so it was even better! And it had Jennifer Grey in it. The excitement of my life!!! I was actually productive as well, besides finishing one scarf and starting another, I did three loads of laundry, cleaned up the kitchen and even cooked!!! All before I had to leave for a doctor's appt. scheduled for 1:00 p.m.

The highlight of the day was after my dr's appointment when I walked into my favorite record store to find someone had brought in a bunch of used CDs that were totally up my alley – so much so in fact, I began to question whether or not someone had broken into my apt and stolen my CDs. I mean, really, how many people own Plight & Premonition by David Sylvian and Holger Czukay? I picked up some great CDs:

1) a Tones on Tail I didn't have and definitely needed (been listening to it all morning);

2) Adolescent Sex by Japan – which was a surprise to me because I thought I had bought all of Japan's CDs when I got into them slightly less than 10 years ago. I'm so caught up in the Tones on Tail CD that I haven't listened to this yet, but soon. Okay, I took out the Tones on Tail and have now listened to this one and a half times. Not my favorite Japan CD, but some of the songs that I didn't really care for the first time around grew on me the second time, so it has potential;

3) Solitude by The The - This seems to be a compilation album, but there were a few songs I didn't have, so I went for it. The main reason I bought it is the first song which I think might have been my first The The song 20-something years ago and I didn't have on any of my other The The CDs.;

4) The Singles Collection by Spandau Ballet - I probably have everything I need now by them. If you're a fan of Highlander: The Series, then you know Martin Kemp from Spandau Ballet. He was in the first season and played the guy who became immortal but thought he had been saved by God and became this crazy-ass proselytizer. It's not my favorite episode because he's so good that he creeps me out. He's done a lot more television in England which we can't get here, darn it.

5) This Heaven EP by Love & Rockets - It's Love & Rockets, I know I'm going to love it!

6) Beers, Steers & Queers by the Revolting Cocks - I've danced to a number of these songs over the years and they still make me want to dance. They are completely irreverent and probably more than a little offensive, but I love any song that induces me to dance.

7) The Barenaked Ladies brand new album, Barenaked Ladies Are Me was a major find in the Used CD bin, as it just came out last week. I don't have that one with me and haven't listened to it yet, but I was laughing at the song title, "Peterborough and the Kawarthas," as when I was able to listen to cbc.ca Radio Two on the computer, the announcers would always give me the weather report for Peterborough and the Kawarthas. I had no clue what the bloody Kawarthas were, so I had to do a search.

8) Symphony No. 1 by Joe Jackson - I had no idea this existed which is sad since it came out in 1999. I wasn't in the mood yesterday for classical, so I didn't listen to it, but will soon and let you know. I was going to mention how Joe Jackson joins Billy Joel in the classical music arena, but it's obvious that Joe was there first, so it's Billy who followed in Joe's footsteps.

9) Flowers Become Screens EP by Delerium. I essentially picked this up for the Libertarian since Delerium is his favorite band and I don't remember him having this one when he lent me his entire collection. I'm not a huge fan of dance remixes, but if he doesn't like it, I'll keep it as I find that the Delerium's remixes don't bother me as much as others.

10) Heartbeat by Ryuichi Sakamoto - Holy cow, check out this guy's discography! I picked this one up basically because I've seen his name on my various David Sylvian albums and figured I'd give him a chance. I'll let you know how it all ends up.

And thus ends my shopping spree from yesterday. From there I went home and watched a little TV and knitted. The craft show I'm in is next Thursday so I have a lot to do before next Wednesday when I turn all of my knitted goods over to the co-worker who will be running the table. Today's big excitement will be going for sushi with Ursa! YUM!!! Now to post this and see how many broken tags I have with all the blasted links!

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, 08 November, 2006, Blogger JulieU. said...

Does Fred know that 'Jerry' lives close by? That'd be a great way to threaten our little polish friend!!!

 
At Wednesday, 08 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, always liked the Equalizer. The Sleuth Channel shows a fair number of episodes. (I get it through DirecTV, YMMV.)

 
At Wednesday, 08 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops. Link not valid. Let's try that again.

The Sleuth Channel

That one should work. Sorry about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home