Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Down on the Street

Yesterday I felt like death and my nose wouldn't stop running. Now, you might be thinking, "Geez, sounds like Kathleen has a cold," but you'd be wrong. No cold, just Michigan friggin' sinuses/allergies. I mean, I'd rather have a damned cold, because those you know are going away at some point and if you're suffering badly enough, work sends you home so you don't infect everybody. Instead I get to feel like death for however long my sinuses feel like it. And I can either suffer by blowing my nose every other second until my poor nose feels like it's going to fall off or I can take sinus pills and then fall asleep at my desk. Ah, the options.

The big craft show is tomorrow. I have to take my scarves up to my work friend because she's having a back treatment today and not coming into work after all. No biggie except that I told her I'd be there at the height of rush hour. What on earth was I thinking? My left hand has been bothering me since Sunday so I'm glad it's here so I can take a break from knitting for a few days (not too long as I have to get Mom's Christmas present done and an afghan for my cousin). So much knitting, so little time.

The symphony this past Friday was FABULOUS!!! Maestro Järvi was back and all it did was remind me how much I love him! He has such rapport with the orchestra and the audience. The William Tell Overture was incredible and there were lots of kids there to enjoy it. I love seeing youngsters and 20-somethings at the symphony. Eduardo Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole was quite beautiful and the solo violinist, Vadim Gluzman, played exquisitely. After the intermission, the DSO performed Dmitry Shostakovich's Symphony #15. I try to make it a point to listen to the music that the DSO is going to play before I go, and I knew I had all of Shostakovich's symphonies (the 7th is brilliant – I highly recommend it), so I pulled it off the shelf two weeks beforehand because I knew I hadn't listened to it a whole lot. The first movement "samples" the William Tell Overture. According to the program notes, the symphony discusses the composer's life with the first movement dealing with his childhood. Unlike many of my favorite symphonies it does not end on a bombastic note (that's reserved for the second movement) and if I hadn't listened to it before going I would have been surprised by it, as it ended very quietly, especially if you're familiar with #7 the Leningrad at all.

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, 15 November, 2006, Blogger LL said...

You know what I just learned? Classical music makes you gay. :P

I feel for you on the allergies, and you've come to the exact same conclusion I did.

 
At Wednesday, 15 November, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

I am SOOOOO feeling your pain. I've had this sinus thing for over a year now. I FINALLY got a prescription for antibiotics which seemed to help a fair bit, but I'm still gagging and hacking up crud in the morning (nice picture, eh?). I've been doing sinus salt water rinses with a netti pot for the past week or so every night and using a saline spray followed by Flonase in the morning. We'll see how that goes.
On a happy note, this weekend I'm off to the Philharmonic to hear Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 23 and Beethoven's Symphony #3 "Eroica" featuring Sara Davis Buechner conducted by Timothy Vernon. I'll rinse first. :o)

 
At Wednesday, 15 November, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Lord Loser - Yes, I read that somewhere too. But I think that only works with men. Women can listen to classical music and not be gay.

Dave - You actually bought a Neti pot!!! Oh, I can't wait to hear how that works for you! Can't go wrong with Mozart or Beethoven, although I predict the Beethoven will be better. You better be careful though, I hear classical music makes you gay. ;-)

 
At Wednesday, 15 November, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

See? Aren't all glad you've read my words of wisdom? I thought so.

My allergies have been wreaking havoc too. But everyone around me has been trying to infect me with that nasty crud lately. Don't they know I don't have time to be sick?

 
At Wednesday, 15 November, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

The neti (aka netti, netty, who knows?) pot seems to do its thing. It's my sinuses that are screwed. The water is supposed to flow in one nostril and out the other, but quite often it's like beavers have built a dam in there and nothing moves. Occasionally the salt water flows into my throat which entirely grosses me out. That's the funny thing about water. It's like it always tries to find a place to flow down into! Some nights it works no problem (sorry people) and pulls a pile of mucous with it. (I said I'm sorry!) I just await the time I no longer need to use it.
As for classical music making you gay...I guess that explains all the scantily clad people in the audience wearing body glitter and gyrating to the music while blowing whistles and waving pride flags. It's all clear now!

 
At Thursday, 16 November, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Trina - Your nephew is just so smart.

Dave - Charming. ;-) It was a 16-year-old who came up with Classical music makes you gay. Gotta love teenagers.

 
At Thursday, 16 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The house is sick, except for me, right now. Ick.

 
At Friday, 17 November, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

Man, you are sophisticated and cultured. I couldn't sit through any of that.

 
At Friday, 17 November, 2006, Blogger Ben O. said...

Good luck at the Craft Show - have to hear all about it later.

Ben O.

 
At Saturday, 18 November, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I'm sorry about your allergies. I have a cold and actually went home Tuesday night and was looked at with disbelief & disdain! My nose feels like it's going to fall off as well. Bleh. Hope you're all better soon!

 
At Monday, 20 November, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

Classical music/opera is hubby's thing. Go figure.

I'd love to see some of your scarves!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home