Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Worthy Cause

I just got done reading an article by Rick Reilly at Sports Illustrated about the need for bed nets in Africa to help stop malaria. Normally, I find Rick Reilly to be a bit of an asshole, but not this time. My friend gave me the heads up on this and he's already donated. He also wrote to Rick to find out how much had already been donated to this very worthy cause. SI wrote this back to my friend:

Thank you for your email to Rick Reilly. Please allow us to reply on Rick's behalf since he is on assignment.

As of July 31st, the UN Foundation has indicated that there have been 17,334 donations, with $1,159,061.08 total raised.

We hope this information is helpful, and appreciate your interest in this worthy cause.

Sincerely,
SI LETTERS

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, 15 August, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

Wow, that is amazing. Apparently this is a known problem that so many would donate. Interesting.

 
At Tuesday, 15 August, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

Isn't it interesting that such a simple thing can make such a difference? Just like the shots given to children for diarrhea that cost 67 cents apiece, yet millions die each year from it in third world countries.

 
At Wednesday, 16 August, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

Thanks for linking the article. I wouldn't have known about it since I don't read too many sports publications. ;) It's a very worthy cause. I feel blessed that all I have to worry about is West Nile Virus. Mosquitos suck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home