Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I See The Rain

The oppressive heat continues. The low temp for the past two nights has been 79˚F which IMHO is not an adequate low. I gave in last night and slept on the couch in the living room with the AC on pretty low. I love my new air conditioner! Of course, now my neck feels funky and I need a good massage, but I'm sure a couple of stretches will be sufficient (although I'd prefer the massage). It's 7:57 a.m. and the temp is 89˚F with a RealFeel of 94˚F. It's not even freaking 8 o'clock in the bloody morning!

Tomorrow, however, the high is supposed to be 80˚F! Woohoo!!!! So exciting! COME ON, COLD FRONT!!! Be my bestest friend in the world!!

I was good and went to the gym yesterday afternoon. I ellipticalled for a full hour, but my knees didn't like the idea of Trail Blazer, so I went for a nice Forest Walk to keep the knees happy. On Monday I went for X-rays of the knees (and the regular – I guess – annual physical chest X-ray). Two of the positions I had to get in for the knees caused me pain for the rest of the day. Damn knees. I hate my knees. When I walk up stairs, I feel like I'm 90 and my knees crackle with every step. I don't know if I want the X-rays to show that the knees have deteriorated since the last X-rays (2-3 years ago) and that they need surgery or if I want there to be no change. I really don’t want surgery, but bloody hell, I'm tired of my freaking knees hurting all the friggin' time. It's bad enough that my feet give me trouble. *sigh* I'm not even 42 and I'm falling apart.

Yesterday's highlight was dinner with Ursamajor at our favorite Indian restaurant. We were joined by a friend of hers and OOMA's. The food was yummy and even better, I have lunch!!! We hadn't been in FOREVER, so I went with my usual, but was so stuffed after the appetizers that I didn't even taste my entrée (palak paneer). I did have a bit of dal with one piece of naan, but the rest came home with me.

Oh, and I forgot a movie that I watched in July.

The Muppet Movie at the midnight show. I think I discussed it after I went, but to me this is a classic and always will be. There's a reason I have it on video and DVD! I did think the print we watched was a little washed out, so I hope someone decides to restore it to its original glory like they have done with other classics like My Fair Lady and Rear Window.

Oh yeah, last night on the way to the restaurant, we saw a pack of bicyclists (mostly kids) out and about. Bloody hell, who thought, "Hey, let's round up the kids and go for a bike ride on the hottest freaking day of the year in the middle of a Heat Advisory!"?

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, 02 August, 2006, Blogger Clarity25 said...

The heat right now is killing me too. I went outside on the deck for fresh air and was instantly drenched in sweat. I quickly ran back inside and turned up the air conditioner. I can't take this humidity and sweltering weather. I'm hoping for some cool days ahead.

MuppetShow is the best movie..EVER! That was the film that caused me to fall in love with Kermit. A love that has endured for 20 years. lol. It's a true classic.

Thank you for sharing your advice and perspective on the Texas situation:)

 
At Wednesday, 02 August, 2006, Blogger Clarity25 said...

Muppet movie.. not show. Although the show was great too.

I'm telling you.. this heat is frying my brain cells

 
At Wednesday, 02 August, 2006, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

I'm such a whiner, San Francisco in the 90's really sucked and is so not natural. I was writing poems to the fog after our weeklong heat wave. I read an article on SFGate saying next summer is gonna be at least 10 degrees warmer. Coy and I resorted to buying ceiling fans.

How could you not love the Muppet Movie or the Muppet Show, those were some talented puppets, err muppets I suppose...

 
At Wednesday, 02 August, 2006, Blogger Glen said...

Knees are funny things....the one I tore up playng football 20 years ago barely makes a crackle but the so called good knee sounds like someone is walking on bubble wrap every time I climb stairs. Arthroscopic knee surgery is a breeze, so don't fret if you have to have that done. Maybe we can get a 2 for 1 deal from a generous surgeon!

 
At Wednesday, 02 August, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Clarity - I knew what you meant. You think your brain is fried, I gave the woman at Target six $20s the other day for a $60 bill. She just looked at me funny and handed three of them back to me. I thanked her profusely.

Sal - That's because there's no air conditioners in that city!!! Find a Walgreen's and hang out!

Glen - Knees sucks.

 
At Wednesday, 02 August, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

Come on coldfront indeed! This crap is like one of Dante's circles of hell. A really vile and moist circle. I can recommend a few good knee docs if necessary, but arthroscopic doesn't always help. Are the "kids" laying in front of the AC? You should see Minnie the Malamute lying in front of the AC. Won't even budge...

 
At Thursday, 03 August, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

Kat wrote: "The oppressive heat continues... It's 7:57 a.m. and the temp is 89˚F with a RealFeel of 94˚F. It's not even freaking 8 o'clock in the bloody morning!"

Me: You're getting the heat wave that we in the far western midwest have had for much of July. Take a quick look at this short list of temps: July Heat Wave Sets Records in the High Plains. Transient that I am, I have lived in five of those twelve towns and visited a sixth, Usta, quite a bit in the early 1980s. It's not really a town, just a ranch house that used to have post office until about the 1960s. My dad had a ranch five miles east of Usta from 1979 to 1982.

Kat wrote: "Damn knees. I hate my knees."

Me: Try those darned magnets!

Kat wrote: "Yesterday's highlight was dinner with Ursamajor at our favorite Indian restaurant... I...was so stuffed after the appetizers that I didn't even taste my entrée (palak paneer)."

Me: Would I be correct in assuming they don't serve hamburgers there? ;-)

 
At Thursday, 03 August, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

Please, read the following brief quote about knees, which comes from The Sports Injury Bulletin:

"Another study provided decent evidence to support the use of magnets for knee pain. In research carried out at the Institute of Theoretical Physics and Advanced Studies for Biophysical Research in Jupiter, Florida, individuals with osteoarthritic, painful knees received magnetic-field treatments eight times during a two-week period...

"And the result?

"Somewhat surprisingly for those who believe that magnetotherapy is a bit of a hoax, magnetic-field exposure significantly reduced knee pain. In fact, knee pain was down by 46% in the magnet-therapy group, versus just 8% among the placebo subjects. The researchers concluded that low-amplitude, extremely low frequency magnetic fields are 'safe and effective for treating patients with chronic knee pain due to osteoarthritis.'"

 
At Friday, 04 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you! Yeah the heat was a killer. I'm really glad that my new car has A/C, cause I think I would have died if I still had my truck (that had no A/C).

If you ever decide to look into knee surgery, I know a great doctor who is wonderful.

Bike ride on the hottest day of the year? HA! You couldn't get me to go on a bike ride in 70 degree weather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home