Thursday, August 03, 2006

Song for the Dumped

I love my couch, I really do, but it's not really designed for sleeping. Igor spent a good 15 minutes trying to get comfortable with me, but gave up when I had trouble getting myself comfortable. I think I got a whopping four hours of sleep. I'm really hoping to sleep in my bed tonight.

I just checked the forecast for today and the lovely 81˚F that they were saying yesterday we were going to get tonight seems to have dropped off the map. High today looks to be 89˚F. If Martha thinks we're sitting outside for drinks this evening when it's 90˚F (God only knowing what the RealFeel is going to be), she's crazy. Yahoo! Is still saying it's going to be 81˚F, but I think I'll trust the Freep since they're actually here. DAMN!!!

Last night I did something I've been threatening to do for the past year – started a locked diary at my old diaryland site. There are things I want to write/discuss but don't want all and sundry to know about, especially since I know there are people from my real life who discovered this place without me telling them and that doesn't make me happy, especially when they leave snarky anonymous comments. So, if you are interested, please send me an e-mail or leave a comment and I'll e-mail you (if I have your e-mail address) with the password.

Trina did a whole entry on food yesterday and since it made me hungry, I decided to borrow from her shamelessly and do the same. I hope I make you all hungry, too.

The Food Meme

How do you like your eggs?

I have to go with Trina's answer on this one: Medium. I want the yolk runny, but the white hard. If the white is runny, it grosses me out. Although I don't mind if the yolk is a little hard.

How do you take your coffee/tea?

When I drank coffee, I drank it black, but I never drink it anymore. I figured out after college that I didn't really like it. I only drink decaf/herbal teas now, but I take them straight.

Favorite breakfast foods:

IHOP used to have a Breakfast Burrito (they still might but the one by me closed) and that was quite yummy. I can eat breakfast food any time of the day or night. I love omelets with hash browns (well-done), as well.

Peanut butter: smooth or crunchy?

Crunchy, of course. Smooth is boring.

What kind of dressing on your salad?

I never used to use salad dressing on my salad, always got lemon wedges, but then one day my taste buds changed and I discovered that I liked bleu cheese. Lemon wedges were so much better for me, but I don't care.

Coke or Pepsi?

Neither, generally. I can taste the difference between the two, but I can't say I prefer one over the other. If I pick one up, it just has to be caffeine-free and NOT diet. Other than that, whatever.

You're feeling lazy. What do you make?

If I'm feeling lazy, I make nothing.

You're feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order?
Either Marco's or Pizza Hut (Pan, of course) with Mushrooms & Onions. If there were a Papa John's near me (within delivery range), I'd get theirs since I think it's the best of the chains.

You feel like cooking.

Soup, generally, in the winter. I rarely feel like cooking. My specialty is grilled cheese, however. I rock on the Grilled Cheese.

Do any foods bring back good memories?

Tacos – my mom's specifically. I loved it when we got tacos. And even though I was a skinny kid, I could eat them as if they were going out of style. I remember eating 12 once. I was in charge of grating the cheese and dicing the tomatoes. I'm still trying to figure out what the OS did to help get dinner ready. We seemed to get tacos when people came over, and I loved it when people would come over.

Carrots – not because I like them, but because the LB hates them and Mom seemed to serve them all the time, cooked. Now, I'm not overly fond of cooked carrots myself, but I can eat them. When Uncle Chuck would come over for dinner, he would always sit next to the LB and sneak carrots onto the LB's plate which of course once it was on his plate, he had to eat them.

Dunkin' Donuts Crème filled donuts – Again this is an LB & Uncle Chuck memory (LB sat across from me at the dinner table – assigned seats - so I had a front row seat). Uncle Chuck used to come over every Sunday for brunch and bring a dozen doughnuts from Dunkin' Donuts. Somebody would hide them (the FF or maybe UC) and then after brunch the LB and YS would go looking for them. The crème-filled were the LB's favorite, particularly the crème-flower that decorated the hole where they pumped the crème into it. He would take it off and save it on his plate for after he was finished with the doughnut. And Uncle Chuck would do one of two things (or both): wait for the perfect moment and then smash the doughnut into the LB's face or try to swipe the crème flower. LB was very defensive of his flower. UC would wait for that split second when LB's attention wasn't on him and go in for the kill.

Those were fun times.

Do any foods bring back bad memories?

Creamed corn – enough to make me gag – and Campbell's Tomato Soup. It's the only time I did NOT finish my dinner before everybody else. I had to sit there until I ate it and let's just say that as bad as I thought hot tomato soup was, cold tomato soup was so much more vile and disgusting. I only remember Mom serving it the one time.

Do any foods remind you of someone?

If anyone were ever to make a dinner of fried chicken skins, it would remind me of my Great Grandma. She made them one night (when she was 80-something or in her late 70s) for Uncle Chuck (her son) because he had said once that he liked the skin on the chicken. He wasn't overly excited about it. Not sure it's a food, but if you say chicken skins to most people in my family, everybody will chuckle.

Is there a food you refuse to eat?

Being a vegetarian, obviously anything meat-related. Other than that, there was the dessert served to us at the Indian restaurant the other day. None of us liked it. One small bite was enough for me to grab the spoon out of my entrée (already transferred to the styrofoam container) and lick it clean. My Indian co-worker told me what it was and I was relieved when she said she hated it too.

What was your favorite food as a child?

Ham. I chose ham damn near every birthday.

Is there a food that you hated as a child but now love?

Fried eggs. The runny yolk grossed me out. When we had fried eggs, the yolk had to be rock hard and even then it was all I could do to eat it.

Is there a food that you loved as a child but now hate?

Chicken hearts. Definite full body shiver on that one now.

Favorite fruit?

Blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. YUM!

Favorite vegetable?

It's a tie between asparagus and artichokes.

Favorite junk food?

Cheetoh's, good dark chocolate, good ice cream

Favorite between meal snack?

Popcorn with my Valentina salsa from Mexico.

Do you have any weird food habits?

Probably, but I don't think they're weird. The only one I can think of is that I have to have butter on my sandwiches, especially PB&J. Oh, yeah, my favorite sandwich is actually Peanut Butter & Lettuce.

You're on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on?

Diet? Popcorn.

You're off your diet. Now what would you like?

Reese's Pieces Sundae from Friendly's.

How spicy do you order Indian/Thai?

Medium or Medium plus

Can I get you a drink?

Regular margarita over ice, absolutely no salt

Red wine or white?

White, but could I just have a beer?

We only have beer:

Guinness or a lovely India Pale Ale

Favorite dessert?

Double Berry Crisp from The Traffic Jam & Snug

The perfect nightcap?

Crackers, ibuprofen and water to take care of the pain in my knees & feet so I can sleep.

8 Comments:

At Thursday, 03 August, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

Meat is pretty much a staple in my every meal, so I would have a hard time doing without that. Unless, of course, I lived on Cheetos. That's entirely possible.

My grandpa won't eat creamed corn. He worked in a place once where it was made and they dropped everything in the pot - cobs, shucks, worms and all. After he told me that, now I can't eat it either.

 
At Thursday, 03 August, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

Eggs, huh? So you're saying it's OK to eat meat before it is born? Good to know if I ever become a vegetarian. ;-)

I must say that mealtime in your childhood home sounds like it was a sadistic affair. And you actually enjoyed it because of the sadism! Go figure. Now I know one of the sources of your endearing obnoxiousness. LOL. ;-)

 
At Thursday, 03 August, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

My turn to steal the food meme. Thanks for giving me something to do. E-mail me your password if you don't mind. I know what you mean. I figured that my parents would never find my blog (they don't even have a computer). But they do have a public library. They don't even know how to use a computer, but they still managed. I'll blog about pretty much anything, but of course there are certain things I don't want my parents to know. Anyone else on the planet is fine, just not my parents. It sucks filtering myself even if it is just a little bit...

 
At Friday, 04 August, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Trina - Now I'm really really glad I don't eat creamed corn.

MW - Look up vegetarian and then look up vegan. Vegans eat NOTHING that even comes from an animal, i.e., honey, butter, milk, etc. Or wear, like silk. Vegetarians, generally, won't eat whatever if the animal died to give it to us. Most eggs were never going to be chicks because they're not fertilised. Veges who eat/drink eggs/milk are called lacto-ovo.

Jason - At least your parents told you they found it. My family member pretends she didn't.

 
At Friday, 04 August, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

OK, you got me, sort of; however, in a recent blog entry, you wrote that your original reason for cutting meat out of your diet was because of the "Eww!" (i.e. "Yuck!") factor, not because of the death-of-an-animal factor. Later on, it became the latter. You mean you've gotten over the "Eww!" factor? ;-)

 
At Saturday, 05 August, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

MW - As I already explained to you, the Eww Factor comes from the whole Death of An Animal factor....kind of the same thing.

 
At Sunday, 06 August, 2006, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

I too will be steaing your food meme and also need the password to the Diary when you have a minute.

You make the same mistake I do, never believe the weatherperson. Just two days ago I was yelling at Sandia Patel, I said Sandia go outside and see for yourself there's no fog out there! It was closer to 75 than the 64 she was claiming and I was dying after my climb up the hill. Okay, okay you're talking 90's; I'm complaining about 70's, but you know what I mean.

 
At Tuesday, 08 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool meme...I'm going to steal it too! I would like your password to your new diary, por favor...my email is frogstar14ATyahoodotcom! Thank you..thank you very much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home