Tuesday, August 08, 2006

That's the way I like it

Here is a lovely article about Cristiano da Matta from one of the best racing writers in the world. Please check it out.

I'm trying to remember the weekend. Friday I had an 8-hour mandatory meeting during which I was hungover and knitting. The knitting was the only thing that kept me awake as I had gotten very little good sleep (if any) the night before. Why, oh why, do I drink four Guinnesses when I know I'm a lightweight??? Yeah, and I was really stupid in that I didn't eat any dinner either. I'm a dumbass.

Friday night I was so bloody tired that I went to bed shortly after 7:30. I tried to stay up until 8:00 p.m., but it was NOT happening. I got more than 12 hours of sleep that night and it was utterly fabulous!!! I got up and walked to the fruit market and bought stuff for the soup recipe I got when I was in Mexico and since there was fresh basil there I decided to make this really yummy tomato-basil-mozzarella pie thingy that I got from my dear friend Railroad.

I then went to Michael's to get blue beads for a rosary I was planning on making for a friend at church who has breast cancer. From there it was on to Kroger to stock on veggie hot dogs, Boca burgers and the other necessary ingredients for the soup (which I still haven't made). It was still hot so I didn't cook that day, but found that TCM was having a Humphrey Bogart day and that was just too exciting for words. Yeah, I live a scintillating life. I watched High Sierra and then went outside to get some sun while they showed To Have & Have Not again. I missed most of The Maltese Falcon, but I caught the end which is too cool - "The stuff dreams are made of."

The highlight of TCM's day was The Treasure of Sierra Madre that night. That was my first Bogart movie and I totally didn't appreciate it the first time I saw it. This is the movie that brought us the famous phrase "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges." which is not completely accurate, but we'll go with it.

Sunday brought me Mass in a freaking hot as heck church which had me feeling as if I were going to pass out and also brought me nauseau from which I'm still suffering. I seem to do better when I don't eat, so tomorrow I'm going to ignore food, if I still feel so crappy, and just drink my mint tea, because I was feeling not too horribly until I ate lunch today.

Since I felt so crappy on Sunday I cranked the AC and crashed on the couch under a blanket and semi-listened to the Tigers game. I don't think my head ever stopped sweating. I wonder if it was a mild form of heat stroke.

Yesterday's excitement was that Pamela came over and gave me a haircut. YAY!!! I was DESPERATE for a haircut. My hair hasn't been that long in years and I was HATING it. I'm so much happier when my hair is short. Then I did laundry and I know you're all exceptionally jealous.

Today I got a very exciting budget project at work with a deadline of tomorrow. Not generally a problem if I didn't have to rely on others to get information to me. I have faith in one of them, the other? Not so much. I gave them a deadline of tomorrow morning to get me the info - we shall see. And then I have another very fun project (no stated deadline as of yet) which might drive me to drink...at the office. Good thing it's illegal to have alcohol at work.

I think I've caught you up on everything that's happened since my last update.

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, 08 August, 2006, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

Is it really illegal to have alcohol at work? One of the first things I got at the place I'm at now was a full wine cabinet, granted it's only for special events, but they have wine parties every Thursday. As a rule I try to not drink while at work, even for parties.

I hear it cooled down in Chicago had hoped it was cooler for you too.

 
At Wednesday, 09 August, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

I have more times of being sick from the heat this summer than ever before. I'm guessing that's what's been doing you in for sure. It's hard to do anything when it's as hot as it has been this year.

No drinking at our office either. Otherwise, I'd have probably been hammered every day for the last year.

 
At Wednesday, 09 August, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Sal - Big sign on all the gates coming on to campus saying it's illegal to have alcohol and firearms on company property.

Trina - If I were you, I'd have been drinking for the past year as well. Hmm, that's an idea...can you sneak a bottle of vodka in to a certain WEB's desk drawer? ;-)

 
At Wednesday, 09 August, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

Back in the early 1990s, I was on a three-man crew building a giant basement foundation 12 miles north of Draper, South Dakota. When I say giant, I mean it was a foundation for a mansion. The farmer for whom we were building it is a millionaire. That's a lot of work for just three guys. I don't know if you know this, but the heat is way more intense in holes in the ground than it is outside of holes in the ground, especially on 90-plus-degree days, which it was that day. I had been spraying diesel fuel on several dozen wooden panels for the basement wall moldings with a garden sprayer (so the wet concrete wouldn't stick to them). At one point, I got pretty light headed in a negative way. I just dropped everything I was doing, regardless of what the boss thought, and walked about 100 yards down to a dirty, moss-filled stock pond. I walked straight into it with my clothes on and let myself fall over backward. I think I prevented some minor heat stroke by doing that. I lay there for a short while and felt like a new person when I got out. The boss (a best friend and classmate of mine from high school, but a slave driver nonetheless) never said a word. I think he knew I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't needed to.

By the way, did those two coworkers of yours meet your deadline?

 
At Thursday, 10 August, 2006, Blogger GoingLoopy said...

Summer needs to be OVER. Or I need to get 12 hours of sleep...

 
At Thursday, 10 August, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Loopy - I love summer, so I say get the sleep!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home