Thursday, July 13, 2006

Overlook

I was a good girl yesterday and went to the gym. It was weird, because there was no thought process involved. I got home from work and put on gym clothes and went to the gym. I did my usual hour on the elliptical, although at times my knees were absolutely no cooperating and causing me some decent amount of pain. I guess I should get serious and get the X-rays of them taken again and then make an appt. with the orthopedic surgeon, just to see what's going on. I found out that the cyst in my right knee is IN the bone. For the past 2-3 years I thought it was on the knee (yeah, I don't know exactly what I thought, but IN the bone is a little freaky to me).

My problem is that I'm just too darn busy to do these things, especially when the X-ray place is a good 30 minutes away. Not something I can do in the middle of my lunch hour or anything. Oh, and I'm lazy. That might have something to do with it too.

I did laundry last night and we got another new used washing machine. This one looks exactly like the second machine (which as you might remember sucked ass in the spinning dry department), but works oh so much more efficiently. My clothes dried in less than the hour my four quarters buy me. So exciting! I was even feeling kindly and put The Basement Dwellers two t-shirts into the dryer when I was done to use up my remaining time. The chick really needs to learn the art of WRINGING her clothes out. I just hope she doesn't freak out when they're not on the line and thinks to look in the dryers as I wasn't feeling so kindly as to go back down and take them out and fold them. My niceness only goes so far.

All this means (along with a 30 minute phone call with Martha) that I didn't even start watching the tape of the Tour until 7:00 p.m. (I couldn't miss Stargate SG-1) which wasn't the best move since it was a four hour tape. I didn't get to bed until 11:00 p.m., and if you know me, you know my bedtime usually starts with a 9. I'm in big trouble today because coverage started at 6:30 a.m. today which means FIVE hours of coverage to watch at some point, but not tonight, as tonight is the baseball game with Glen. He's picking me up at 5:00, so I have to decide between going to the gym and napping. I asked one of the secretaries here and she said, "Gym." I know she's right, but that's not what I wanted to hear. ;-) We're playing the Royals tonight which kind of sucks because right now the Royals are in a fierce battle with the Pirates for Suckiest Team in the Entire League. Of course, if the Tigers are anything like the Wings, they'll play down to the level of the Royals and end up losing. I'm praying they're not like the Wings.

For the record, the Red Wings are going to suck next year. The GM said this week "We hope to make the playoffs." WHAT!!! ARE YOU FRIGGIN' KIDDING ME??? HOPE TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS?! Well, then, here's a suggestion, how about you don't sign a completely washed-up hack of a goalie with a bad back? I read that Toskala of the Sharks thinks the Sharks should trade a goalie as he doesn't want to fight it out with his good friend Evgeny Nabokov for the starting position. Unfortunately, I don't think the Wings have anything to trade (maybe they should have signed the cherry-picker and then traded him for a bloody goalie), but I'd take either one, especially over Belfour or Hasek. *sigh* Looks like I'll be throttled by Netflix again next winter.

Sorry about the inundation of sports-related posts of late, but it is July and things are a'happening there, which is good since there's a nothing happening in my life, but what else is new?

I did "dare to suck" again this past weekend. And boy, did I accomplish that! The manual transmission and I are not friends when it comes to hills. It didn't help that we were out there driving during rush hour. I'm all worried about the cars stuck behind me while I was stalled at the damn light, and the Libertarian is saying, "Don't worry about him. He can wait." Not my style, since I know how annoyed I get when I'm stuck behind someone who doesn't "go" when the light turns green. There aren’t a lot of hills in southeastern Michigan, but he found a second one for me to suck at, when I refused to go back to the first one. He finally figured out that I was too nervous about people hitting us in the back end to concentrate on what I needed to be doing, so we went back to our trusty parking lot where I practiced shifting and accelerating smoothly and properly. I'm still not very good at it, and I know that's normal and it takes lots of practice, etc., but I don't like doing things at which I'm not good, so it's hard for me. But I will persevere because what Democrat wants to fail in front of a Libertarian??? ;-)

9 Comments:

At Thursday, 13 July, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

What can they do for your knee? That would freak me right out as well.

 
At Thursday, 13 July, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

Kathleen said: "My knees were absolutely not cooperating and causing me some decent amount of pain."

Me: I kindly refer you back to this entry: Do "Health Magnets" Really Work?. Someone you know may already own some of these magnets, and they might gladly loan them to you, so you can test them before spending money on them. No, this won't cure the cyst on your knee, but it might very well get rid of the pain.

Kathleen said: "He finally figured out that I was too nervous about people hitting us in the back end to concentrate on what I needed to be doing..."

Me: That's exactly what I was thinking the moment I read that he had you driving on a busy road. The next time he tries to move you to a "higher level," you should suggest to him that it be an extremely quiet residential neighborhood. That way, you can get the feel of real streets for a while without the traffic distracting you. Once you are comfortable on real streets, then you may start worrying about dealing with other drivers.

 
At Thursday, 13 July, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

One hour on the elliptical. Where do you find the patience? My dryer just broke and I now have to hang everything on the line. Only one more week and I'll have enough for a new one. Whoopee!

 
At Thursday, 13 July, 2006, Blogger mr. schprock said...

I hurt my knee running last year and it took forever to heal. As a result, I don't run — I just ride my bike more.

So now my other knee hurts!

 
At Friday, 14 July, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

I did arm curls for the first time in years and I can't straighten my arms today!

 
At Friday, 14 July, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Trina - I'm scared nothing, but I'm also scared of the "s" word. I don't think there is anything they can do for the cyst, but if the arthritis is bad in the right one, there's the possibility of surgery where they go in and scrape it out. Isn't that fun?

MW - You're a weirdo. It's a hill issue. I need to know how not to stall on hills, but there's a definite lack in the Detroit area. We were making do.

Beth - I read a book. Otherwise, I'd be done in 15 minutes.

Schprockie - I found the bike hurt my knees worse, how strange is that?

Scott - If you only use 5 lb weights, it's not that bad. ;-)

 
At Friday, 14 July, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

Kathleen said; "MW - You're a weirdo."

Funny, that's exactly what my mom said..., shortly before the magnet cured all pain in her mangled ankle. ;-)

 
At Saturday, 15 July, 2006, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

I've realized I'm car phobic and I've seen cars slide backwards down hills here in SF; I only wish you best on your endeavors. Now, on the usage of "suck", it took me a minute to figure out you were talking about driving…
Add me to the weirdo list, I think you should see an acupuncturist. If anything will help your arthritis and possibly the cist in your knee acupuncture will, and (at least here in California) it's covered by insurance.

 
At Tuesday, 18 July, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Sal - Hmm, acupuncture...that's a thought. I'll talk to SK, I know she knows one. Of course, this being Michigan, it won't be covered, but if it works, it'll be worth it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home