Friday, May 19, 2006

Hate The Sound of Rain

Mr. Schprock participated in wordnerd's Alphabet Soup game. Premise: wordnerd gave Schprockie a letter and Schprockie had to come up with ten words from that letter and a brief description of that word. I decided to play along and the Keeper of the Schprock Report gave me "L." If you want to play along, let me know in the comments and I'll give you your very own letter.

Lollipop – For some reason this is the word that pops into my head when I go to spell my last name. My last name is enough of a pain that when asked for it, I don't say it first, I just start to spell, because people get an idea in their head and they start writing it down and invariably they'll get it wrong. One day when I was living in SF I had called my doctor's office for some reason and had to spell my last name for the brain trust on the other end. I was doing the whole N is for Nancy, etc. and got to L and said "L is for Lollipop." The woman on the other end of the phone said, "O is for Lollipop." ??????? That was the most painful spelling of my last name ever!!! Besides the fact that O wouldn't fit into my last name there anyway, since when does Lollipop start with an "O?"

Londo - This is for my newest obsession, Babylon 5. Londo (SPOILER! First paragraph is safe as is pic, but if you don't want to ruin B5, just in case, you decide it's interesting enough to put in your Netflix queue, don't go further.) is the first name of the Centauri ambassador to Babylon 5 who is not necessarily how he appears in the first season. (Why do all the B5 websites have to use frames??? What a PITA! I'm trying to link to a pic of Londo. Thank God for wikipedia.) I despair of Londo in the third season which I'm going to finish watching this weekend. Oh, maybe I should explain more about B5. Although it's technically a sci-fi show, it's more character driven than sci-fi driven, but there's enough technology crap to excite the biggest sci-fi techno-geek, which, trust me, is not me. MW harassed me for months before I finally agreed to try it out, and I have to admit that he was right about it. There's social commentary about our world now and in the past included and it is fascinating to see the WWII references, as well as things that are happening today in our country.

Lupul - Joffrey Lupul was a rookie in the NHL 2003-2004 season. He was fairly highly touted in the pre-season fantasy magazines and he was one of those surprise picks for which GtG and DWD are famous in our hockey pool. He plays for the Mighty Ducks who will be playing in the Western Conference Finals against Edmonton. I will not say for whom I am rooting since every team I've wanted so far is done. I shall not jinx the team!

Lorax - For me, any book like The Lorax which attempts to teach children the idea of protecting the environment is all good. Too bad people lose that message as they get older and think they're smarter.

Lap - One of my greatest joys is having my cat or cats sitting on my lap. Igor is the premier lap sitter of all cats, but Boris is finally catching on to the joy of sitting on The Woman Who Feeds Me's lap. Igor isn't very good about sharing, however, so occasionally I have to teach him that if Boris is there first, deal with it, sitting next to me is almost as good. On a really good day, both of them sit on my lap purring away. One of these days I'm going to take some digital pics of them and make you all suffer. In fact, today is the day 3 years ago that I picked up my darlings from the Dearborn Animal Shelter. I was still broken-hearted over losing my Tikal the week before, but whereas some people need to take a break from having animals to get over the loss, I found it extremely hard going home as I knew there was no little furry butt awaiting me on the other side of the door. I was also pushed by a woman at work who volunteered at the animal shelter, because there were two cats (siblings) there to whom she had become attached and really wanted to find a home for them. I ended up not taking them home (well, I took one, but it was an accident because I didn’t want to split siblings up). Anyway, they made coming home much more enjoyable and still do, the big sillies.

Lariat - Nothing special comes to mind re: this word, it's just one of the first ten that popped into my head. And it's fun to say!

Lindy - There are a variety of things that come to mind when I hear this word. One: dance from the 20s. Two: Lindy Ruff, coach for the Buffalo Sabres, who are in the Eastern Conference Finals against the Carolina Hurricanes. I'm ambivalent about this match-up as I have a player from each on my playoff pool team. Lindy was also the name of one of my managers when I worked at Burger King 75 years ago.

Lackadaisical - Another word that is just fun to say, but rarely used in everyday conversation. I think we should all attempt to be less lackadaisical in our vocabulary and try to insert this word whenever possible, be it blogs, diaries or conversations with the boss.

Life - I could get all esoteric and try to define the meaning of life, but as I don’t have a clue what it is, I'll just that it's not fair or easy, but can be fun, exciting, boring, etc. I think to a certain point, it is what you make it. There are times when it takes over and seems completely out of your control, but in the end I think it happens the way it's supposed.

Lambaste - Let it roll off your tongue, and then tell me it's not better than "scold sharply."

There ya go, my ten "L" words. Don't forget to let me know if you want to play along!

10 Comments:

At Friday, 19 May, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

Just wait until you finally decide to trust my instincts on all those other movies and shows I've recommended. You will probably start thinking of me as a "one-hit wonder." ;-)

Other trivia: The "Lindy Hop," as you may know, was named after that famous world-famous, solo-ocean-crossing pilot, Charles Lindbergh.

 
At Friday, 19 May, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

Now those were some imaginative responses. I loved the old Lorax book, which was quite effective, leaving my child soul in turmoil.

 
At Friday, 19 May, 2006, Blogger mr. schprock said...

"One of my greatest joys is having my cat or cats sitting on my lap."

Kathleen, whenever I sit down to watch TV, I always call Cleo to see if she wants to sit on my lap (which she always does). I love having a purring kitty sitting on my lap. Which doesn't make me any less of a man, so anyone who thinks it does, they're wrong — I'm all man and don't forget it.

 
At Friday, 19 May, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

I love my dictionary. My mother bought me this gigantic Webster's when I was 15. We didn't have one in our home before that. No, not kidding. It's now my prized book and I use it often ... okay, daily.

 
At Friday, 19 May, 2006, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

I love the word “lackadaisical” it perfectly describes my attitude at work. 1 week left!! Can I join the cool kids and play the letter game?

 
At Sunday, 21 May, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

MW - Yup, knew where the name came from.

Scott - Why haven't you played?

Schprockie - One of life's greatest joys, IMHO.

Beth - My uncle used to give us these booklets for Christmas from which we could order a present. I chose the dictionary one year and I still have it.

Sal - I'd be honored if you played the Alphabet Game. I give you "C"!

 
At Monday, 22 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'll do the alphabet game eventually.

I'm glad mw was persistent enough - I could have told you the series was worth your time, but I wouldn't have kept at it enough.

Oh, when I think of the word "Lindy" -- it's from "Back to School" as in triple Lindy, the dive Rodney Dangerfield does at the end.

 
At Tuesday, 23 May, 2006, Blogger GoingLoopy said...

L is for Loopy...so I guess that means I want a letter. So much easier than actually thinking of stuff to write...hehehe. :)

 
At Tuesday, 23 May, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Woof - I'll give you a letter, but you need to have a blog to play properly.

Loopy - Yay! I give you "H."

 
At Wednesday, 24 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, the only thing about me doing a blog is that it would be SEVERLY underupdated. ;-) Perhaps I should get one though, just as long as people understand that fact.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home