Sunday, May 07, 2006

Zombie Birdhouse

Life sucks so badly sometimes. At church this morning, I thought about Hattie. Hattie was an 86-year-old woman with blue hair (literally). Just before we merged last year we all found out that Hattie had mouth cancer. Since then she's been staying with her son in BFE going to treatment. I was going to ask Fr. after Mass what news he had of Hattie. Then at the Prayers of the Faithful, Cherrell prayed for "Hattie who had died Tuesday." And then Joi prayed for Javon who had died of natural causes at the age of 23. And then Bill prayed for Hattie again. At the Kiss of Peace, I hugged everybody who means so much to me that much more closer as I cried for Hattie. I cried all my mascara away as I thought about how at the end of every Kiss of Peace at the old church she would attack Lee (4 years old) and say, "Gotcha" and tickle him. It always made everybody smile because Hattie was so deaf that she couldn't hear that the Lamb of God had started. The whole church could hear Lee giggling and Hattie giggling with him as she "got him."

I guess I feel so devastated for a couple of reasons. One because I haven't asked Fr. about Hattie in some months. I just kept expecting her to be back one day and I thought she'd back in the house in Detroit cutting her grass and the neighbor's who were too lazy to do it themselves. Two because she was so special. She bowled with the church league up until last year and did readings and was just a cool woman.

So, tomorrow, I'll leave work at 8:30, pick up Cherrell and then John and then head up to friggin' Keego Harbor to say good-bye to an extra special woman. And then on Saturday morning I'll drive to Highland Park and say good-bye to a young man who didn't get to make his mark on the world.

Live each day to the fullest. Or as Clarity would say, Carpe diem.

5 Comments:

At Sunday, 07 May, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

I'm sorry to hear the news. There were several older congregation friends of mine that have passed on. They were some wonderful people. I haven't been to my church in over 10 years and don't really intend to go back. I do feel guilty though that I didn't say goodbye to some very dear people who most likely have passed on since. Believe it or not I actually used to be quite active in my church. I don't really miss the church, but I sure miss the choir...

 
At Monday, 08 May, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

It's natural to think someone who is sick is going to get better. That's how we cope. I think back to the trip my mom made to see me. I didn't spend the time I should have with her. She had a bad cough and decided to go home early. She found out about the lung cancer when she got back.

 
At Monday, 08 May, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

I'm always afraid to ask about older ones that I haven't seen in awhile for fear they've died without me knowing. So I was thrilled to see an old friend the last time I went to Gillette. She was doing well, and it was such a relief.

What happened to your 23 yo friend?

 
At Monday, 08 May, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

I've had this happened to loved ones a lot lately and it sucks.

 
At Tuesday, 09 May, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Jason - I would miss my church, but most definitely not the choir.

Scott - Hope springs eternal, doesn't it?

Trina - No clue. He woke up last Sunday morning, drew a breath and dropped dead. I'm hoping to find out more at the funeral.

Beth - I'm planning on not having to go to a family funeral for a very long time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home