Tuesday, May 16, 2006

It's A Small World After All

I had a It's A Small World episode this weekend which I feel the need to share with you. Saturday night, as you know if you read yesterday's entry, was the Farmington Community Chorus Spring Concert. I got there before Mom and YS, so sat and read my book (Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys which I'm loving) until I saw YS walking past. Mom was in line already so I went and found her. YS joined us a few moments later and Mom decided that she should use the Ladies before the 2 hour concert. Minutes later the doors to the auditorium opened to allow the crowd in, and that's when I realised that Mom hadn't given me my ticket. YS went in to save seats while I waited for Mom to come back. She said she remembered she had my ticket as she walked away. No biggie. Mom hands me my ticket and I went to enter the Performing Arts Center and saw a woman I knew from YS's friend who is in the chorus and who is usually in the chorus herself. I even said to her, "Hey, why aren't you singing?" Graduate school was the response.

We watched the concert and enjoyed our usual criticisms of the hair and make-up (there are clowns who wear less make-up), as well as the singing (we didn't criticize the singing, we simply enjoyed the singing). Afterwards we hung around chatting with people we see once or twice a year. The woman from before walked up at one point and I asked her, "Did you knit that sweater?" She was wearing a very fabulous purple cardigan type sweater. She looked surprised and said, "Yes, how did you know?" "I knit, too." She then looked at me and said, "Do I know you?" I was taken aback and said, "Karen, I'm YS's sister. She's a friend of Chris." And gestured to YS standing a few feet away. "Oh, I'm sorry! Of course. My brain is so fried from graduate school." We laughed and then continued our knitting conversation, me mostly telling her about The Greatest Yarn Store In The World and her telling me how this was actually her second sweater and she gets compliments all the time. She said the sweater was incredibly easy to knit and that she would send me the pattern. After more discussion, we exchanged e-mail addresses. She said, "Mine's kjones@yahoo.com." I looked at her quizzically and finally asked, "Are you related to John Jones?" "Yeah, he's my brother." "The John Jones that went to U of M-Dearborn?" "Yes." The funny thing is that I've heard her last name before (and for the record, it's not Jones) and it just never clicked with me. I had jury duty a number of years ago in my city and had run into John there where we caught up on 15+ years of life.

When I got home, the first thing I did was send her the latest newsletter from The Greatest Yarn Store In The World. I'm still waiting on the pattern, but have high hopes that I do this. YS had asked Karen to make her one, and Karen said, "Your sister will make you one." I saw the look on YS's face which said, "Yeah, right." And I said, "She doesn't think I can do it." And the thing is? She didn't deny it. So, I'm bound and determined to make one – for myself. And if it's easy enough, one for Mom. And there ya go, my small world story.

And no, I'm not actually listening to "It's a Small World After All," I'm listening to The Stooges.

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, 16 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to hear a Stooges version of it...well...on second thought...

 
At Tuesday, 16 May, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Smed - I think you're on to something there. Kind of like Bigod 20's version of Like A Prayer, I bet it works!!!

 
At Tuesday, 16 May, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

I seems to have those types of moments all the time. I can't go anywhere that someone doesn't know my family or friends or my fourth grade teacher.

 
At Wednesday, 17 May, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

I moved from New York to San Francisco, and went to a music store at Haight-Ashbury, and ran smack into a guy I knew in New York. That stuff used to happen to me all the time, but lately I haven't had much to report.

Loved Anansi Boys. Wonderful story. Excellent, excellent writer.

 
At Wednesday, 17 May, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Great story! It really is a small world.

And now I have that song stuck in my head. Time to turn on iTunes! :)

 
At Wednesday, 17 May, 2006, Blogger GoingLoopy said...

Actually, what that made stick in my head was the version of "Kyle's Mom is a Big Fat Bitch" from the South Park movie, where they did a spoof of "It's a Small World". But we all knew I was nuts. ;)

 
At Thursday, 18 May, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Trina - I used to run into people I knew all the time, not so much these days.

Scott - What music store in the Haight? Amoeba?

Sorry, Heather. ;-)

Loopy - It's nice when we live up to our names. ;-)

 
At Thursday, 18 May, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

Actually it was called the Haight Ashbury something or other. You buy guitars, amps--music equipment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home