Friday, December 09, 2005

All In My Mind

It's hard to write an update when pretty much nothing is going on in my life. I've been working and then going home and watching DVDs while knitting up my scarf orders. I've finished three of them. I'm not really sure how many more I have to make. I should probably figure that out at some point, eh?

The big excitement here is that we actually got the amount of snow predicted by the meteorologists! How often does that happen? They said 2-6" (4-12 cm) and we supposedly got 5 inches of the shitty white stuff. I planned accordingly this morning and wore my big clown boots for the trudge into work. There wasn't a plowed sidewalk in sight. In fact, even better, some bloody dumbfuck plowed the entranceway at work and put all the snow onto the sidewalk. I had to climb over a five foot pile of snow sinking in up to my knees. I was pleased. By the time I got to my desk (it's a five minute walk outside, seven minutes inside) I was hot and sweaty with wet cold feet. I had the heater going to dry out my jeans and socks and the fan.

I actually finished watching my Highlander DVD box set and watched a few movies before getting into the Highlander: Raven series (it only lasted one season). The movies I've seen:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – I actually liked it. It will not replace the original in my heart, but it was good. I should read the book and then I'll probably like it more, but then I might not like my original as well.

Garden State - I really liked this movie, and I didn't really expect to. I'd really like to see the director's cut (if it ever happens) because he cut a lot of stuff out because the American public supposedly can't handle a movie that's longer than 100 minutes.

Memento - My friend Adam had recommended this movie many times but we were supposed to watch it together. It never happened and he moved to California earlier this year. I borrowed it from a friend at work and found it very interesting. In a good way. Of course, the fact the Guy Pearce is extremely good-looking did NOT hurt its cause at all. ;-) I did not find it confusing to follow at all and even figured out the little twist before it officially happened. I realise that everybody else has seen this already, but what can I say I'm a little behind on my movie watching.

Over the Rainbow - This is a Korean film kind of boy meet girl but with the twist that he was in a car accident and can't remember who the girl is that he liked. It was a sweet film. I would recommend it, if you like foreign films.

The Fog of War - This is a documentary on Robert S. McNamara, the Secretary of Defense under JFK and LBJ. I found this to be a fascinating account of his life and the Vietnam War. I highly highly recommend this!

I ♥ Huckabees - Another interesting movie. I didn't dislike it, but I wouldn't say that I loved it. It was a good movie, but different. I have no clue how to describe this movie that would make you want to see it, but I think it's worth a watch. And since I suck so badly at this, go and click above on the title and find out what Rotten Tomatoes has to say about this movie. I think it's worth the click, since I made it sound so blah!

Tonight Martha and I are going to hang out and catch the Capote film at the Royal Oak Main Art Theatre. It seems like it focuses mainly on his writing of In Cold Blood which I had read in college. We also saw the original version of the movie one rainy December night near the end of the term. It was a tad freaky, as (if I remember correctly), the killers were executed on a rainy night.

Go to the About Page at Rotten Tomatoes – at the bottom are fascinating Notes on this movie. If you want to see a movie about this, see the original, not the remake with Dr. Green from ER.

To end on a very happy note, my cousin returns today from Iraq where he's spent the last year. Knowing how things are going over there, he might have to go back, but at least he's home for Grandma's b-day (tomorrow) and Christmas! It'll be nice to have him back, even if he does make purple mashed potatoes.

6 Comments:

At Friday, 09 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was out at 6:30 in the damn AM clearing off my driveway and sidewalks. Argh!

 
At Friday, 09 December, 2005, Blogger fakies said...

I've been battling the snow too. Disgusting stuff, that.

I loved the original WW&TCF, but I think I even like the new C&TCF better. There's no replacing Gene Wilder, but this one kept the Oompa-Loompas more accurate. (I can't believe I just wrote that. I'm such a geek.)

I LOVED Memento! I think Guy Pierce is a great actor (have you seen The Time Machine?)But I couldn't sit through I Heart Huckabees. I was bored to tears in about 1/2 hr, despite my love for Mark Wahlberg. Even he couldn't save it for me.

 
At Friday, 09 December, 2005, Blogger mr. schprock said...

If it makes you feel better, Kathleen, we are getting hit pretty hard here in Boston right now. We had to cast lots to see which poor soul would go to the Au Bon Pain for coffee and pastries (I won).

The only movies on your list I'm familiar with are Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Memento. I LOVED Memento. I thought it was very clever and it stopped me from spelling memento "momento".

Glad to hear the good news about your cousin.

 
At Friday, 09 December, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Don't feel bad - I didn't see Memento until about six months ago and that was only because Collin made me watch it. But I really liked it. And I think C&TCF is one of my favorite movies ever now!! I love Johnny Depp as Willie Wonka - he's so crazy-creepy!

 
At Saturday, 10 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! You're REALLY going to makemea scarf? Truly? I didn't think you were serious. Well, I like soft scarfs that aren't too tight and I like them long and not too wide. Kind of Dr. Who length & width. I need to do something in return. What can I do?!

 
At Saturday, 10 December, 2005, Blogger Beth said...

Please, give your cousin a hug for me!

Also, I've been a knitting fool myself. Tons of scarves and now I'm trying to do stockings. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home