Monday, October 24, 2005

Karma

Well, the karma bug is getting ready to bite me in my Texas-sized ass. I'm feeling not quite fabulously – in fact, a whole lot less than fabulously – to the point where I am oh so certain that I'm fighting the bronchitis bug. Now, normally, although I don't love bronchitis, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, except that I leave Sunday for Mexico. And that's where Karma is coming in to play. She's pissed that I've been bitching about having to share my vacation with my Mom (who is spending today in airplanes and airports coming home from a long weekend in LA – for all those people who think that Mom needs a break/vacation, etc. She doesn't. She spent Labor Day weekend and week in LA, as well.), so she's decided (that's Karma who has decided, not Mom) that I need to get bronchitis. Now, if I get it today or tomorrow, I'll be relatively happy because I can get to the doctor and get my antibiotics, but I have a sneaking suspicion that ol' Karma's going to lay off on full-blown bronchitis until Sunday morning.

Now, in my defense, I can't imagine there are too many people in the known universe who would voluntarily plan a ten-day vacation with their mother to a foreign country and look forward to it. And if you are one of those few people – I don't really want to hear about it because that would just make me feel like even less of a good daughter than I already do. I'm Catholic, I can do guilt without help, thank you very much!

Shit, I know my Mom would HATE going on vacation with her Mom, whereas I'd prefer going on vacation with Grandma – at least, in theory.

It's a really really really good thing I got the rosary done for the Quinceañera on Saturday because the Flake who made such a big deal about wanting to buy a rosary for the Quinceañera (the word is the same for the event and the girl) never even showed up or called or anything. And her name got in the program. Not that I'm bitter, but the poor mother said she had worried over that and in the end went with Flake's name (which is actually fine, except that she's such a bloody freak – The Flake – not the mother). Example: On my mom's b-day, Flake came up to Mom and said, "My b-day is in December. What are you going to get me?" My Mom was taken aback and said, "Well, today's my b-day, what did you get me?" not really expecting anything, of course. "Nothing, but since my b-day is in December, you can just combine my Christmas and Birthday gift into one." And she's serious! This is a 30-year-old woman, not a four-year-old.

The Quinceañera did not go off without a hitch. It started an hour late and there was complete panic because the person making the dress had fallen asleep the night before and spent the day finishing up the dress and then when she got there (almost an hour late), she was very upset because she was late and didn't get everything done. I had to go to the car and tell her that nobody was upset with her and that there hasn't been a Quinceañera in the world that started on time and it was no big deal. Turns out that she was sicker than a dog, but we got her into the church and the mother of the Quinceañera went over and gave her a hug and was just glad to see her – as was the girl herself because she hated the substitute dress. In the end it was all good and I got thanked for my rosary as I stepped into the fray (as it were) and presented it at the Mass.

I made three more rosaries this weekend (rosaries that were supposed to have been Christmas presents last year), so I feel I got some stuff accomplished. I need to get back to the knitting though as I know that Dec. 3 (or 10th) will be here before we know it! And I want to have a lot to sell at the craft show (although God only knows how many people will be there to buy stuff). Ah well, if people need handknitted Christmas presents this year, I might have some to sell. They're very pretty – if I do say so myself!

Time to go home…so, should I go to the gym when I feel like I'm fighting bronchitis or do I stay home and rest? Bearing in mind that Mexico is calling my name come Sunday!

2 Comments:

At Monday, 24 October, 2005, Blogger Jason said...

A friend of mine has bronchitis right now. Not fun, but she's enjoying all the drugs. Two weeks with my mother in Europe was pretty close to Purgatory. How was the symphony? I have that gift for you again at the store if you want to stop by. (You've probably already left work.)

 
At Monday, 24 October, 2005, Blogger Dave said...

Skip the gym! Rest, relax...maybe try some Ny-Quil. Oops..no, don't do that. But don't knock yourself out especially when you're already feeling like crap.
The Flake sounds like a real piece of work. I find the phrase "Bite Me" works quite nicely with people like that. Really, if someone is going to be a thorn in my ass (Texas sized or otherwise), I don't give them the time of day. Damn emotional vampires.
OK, so I finally have a spare moment, I'm off to reply to your last e-mail (two weeks later. sheesh).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home