Wednesday, October 05, 2005

More Nobel Prize Winners!

I missed a Nobel Prize that was announced on Monday. The Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine went to two Australians who discovered that stomach ULCERS* were not the result of stress or spicy food, but bacteria. I found this to be interesting because my mother has always suffered from ulcers and, in fact, they kept her from attending college because the doctor made her quit. My aunt always attested that it was the stress of dating my father that gave Mom ulcers. She won't be happy that that theory was debunked. ;-)

And here's the Nobel Prize for Chemistry awarded to people who discovered a more environmentally way to create plastics and drugs by reducing the amount of hazardous materials released by the chemical process.

The Nobel Peace Price will be announced Friday, while the one for Economics won't be announced until Monday.

I drove to work today because I've lost my obsession with the gym and if I go home first I don't have the wherewithal to get my butt into workout clothes. So, this morning I packed my gym bag and it's in the car awaiting my fat ass. And I'm trying a new tactic at the gym. I'm no longer going to do two hours of cardio, but instead am going to try to do more intense but shorter cardio. It won't work, just like nothing else has worked, but I feel I have to try at least. I'm so tired of being fat. Not enough to give up beer, but enough to try something a little different at the gym.

Tonight is the Opening Night for the NHL! WOOHOO!!! Life is good. There will be men on skates with sticks passing a round black object around an ice surface on my TV! It's not Champ Car racing, but it's the next best thing!

There is so not much going on in my life right now. I'm diligently watching Netflix DVDs although with hockey season starting that'll slow down. I'm knitting with my $1 yarn to make scarves to sell at the church craft fair and messing up regularly on the shawl/oversized scarf I'm making the SIL for Christmas. I knitted an extra row the other day and then realised it, so now I have to take one whole row out and even though it's doable I have to be in the right frame of mind to do it. And so far I haven't been in that frame of mind where I accept that I'm an idiot and just made everything that little bit harder for myself.

I checked my bank balance yesterday and even though it's only four days after payday, I have next to no money in my checking account. I don't even know how that happened, since I deliberately paid less to my credit card than I had been paying so that I would have some money for the next two weeks. I transferred some money from my savings account to cover any random checks that I might have forgotten about. I hate doing that!

I'm supposed to go to a friend's political fundraiser this evening and I just can't afford the cost. I know people will be pissed that I'm not there, but I'm having trouble justifying paying $35 when I simply don't have any money. And I don't get paid for another ten days. It'll be PB&J for breakfast and lunch for the next two weeks and grilled cheese or Boca burgers for dinner. Ooh, I do have Ramen noodles in the house, so I can go on Clarity's Ramen Noodle Diet.



*I capitalised Ulcers because when I first read the article I saw it as cancer. So, basically, because I'm an idiot, I assume everybody else will do the same thing. It's my attempt to be helpful.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, 05 October, 2005, Blogger mr. schprock said...

I used to do the gym thing and then the weights in the basement thing. Now it's push-ups and sit-ups every weekday morning mixed with running and biking. That's all I can do and I'm comfortable with that. I'll just have to let someone else be Mr. Universe.

 
At Thursday, 06 October, 2005, Blogger Jason said...

Have fun with the skating men and their sticks. I´ll have to take some pics of my grandmother´s knitting. I can´t figure out this dang European keyboard...

 
At Thursday, 06 October, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Your Red Wings are looking good!! You know that's hard for me to say, right? ;)

 
At Thursday, 06 October, 2005, Blogger Kathleen said...

Mr. Schprock - The problem is that I know I'll use it as an excuse to give up.

Jason - Have a great time in Switzerland!

Heather - Thanks. And yes, I kow how hard it was for you to say that. And I appreciate it that much more. It's difficult when our hated rivals because human by meeting someone who loves them as much as we love our own teams.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home