Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I am intimidating! Ha ha ha ha!

Pet peeve – veggie burgers at restaurants coming with "seasonal fruit" instead of French Fries. WTF is up with that!?! I'm a vegetarian not some silly health freak. I want French Fries, dammit! And that's the beauty of Red Robin, no matter if you get the beef burger, turkey burger, Gardenburger or Boca burger, you get unlimited fries. Yay, Red Robin!!!!

People have what I consider to be a huge misconception about me. And by people, I mean, mostly, my own family. Over the years, my OB would say, "There's a single guy here at work. He's such-and-such age and I was wondering if you think YS would be interested." The guy wasn't necessarily YS's age, but between the two of us and I would question why he was thinking of YS and not me. "Oh, you'd eat him alive, Kathleen." What is up with that? I don't eat nails or babies for breakfast with a follow-up of men for lunch. I guess I find it disconcerting that so many people view me this way – I know I only mentioned my brother, but I have had other family members have said the same thing over the years. Yes, I know that I have a public façade of being tough, but wouldn't you think your own family would know you better than that? Shit! I know strangers/acquaintances/co-workers who have seen through it. I get a little discouraged when I hear that all too familiar "Oh, you'd eat this poor guy alive." No, I probably wouldn't.

And way back when in my bar days I had various friends who would tell me that this or that guy was interested in me, but were too intimidated to come up and talk to me. I never understood this. I remember one example when Big Dan told me that he had been talking to some guys who had been very impressed that he talked to me and was my friend. "You know HER? Wow. I would love to meet her." He would offer to introduce and they would demur, for whatever reason. I honestly don't understand this. Who knew my façade was so perfect?

My therapist used to tell me that my problem there was that I was TOO COMFORTABLE at that bar and that's why men wouldn't approach me. I just don't understand men. In high school, guys hated me because I had no self-esteem and now in adulthood, men don't approach me because I have "too much self-esteem?" (Which is a complete crock of shit because I do not have any where near too much self-esteem) Go here to read what GoingLoopy has to say about this issue.

The CBC is back!!! Woohoo!!! This morning I got the 5:00 a.m. news for the first time in about two months. I was flipping past when I heard the familiar CBC News theme music. I went back and heard my favorite morning news guy, Bob MacGregor! And then at 5:05 there was Andrea Ratuski with her morning show (4:00-6:00 a.m.) Northern Lights' theme music! It was a beautiful moment! It was so nice to hear her again (although I think it was a repeat). I didn't care though! The CBC IS BACK!!!! And that means I don't have to suffer through my alarm going off with JAZZ!!! I HATE JAZZ, particularly as wake-up music! And 90.9 does not play the type of jazz that I would think is appropriate for the 4:00 a.m. hour. It literally would JAR me awake. Such a horrible way to wake up! Cacophonous!!! But tomorrow morning I will awaken to the lovely sounds of the CBC and all will be right with the world. At least my tiny little corner of the world.

A dear friend of mine (only a year older than me) is having open heart surgery on Friday, so please, please, please, please, pretty please with sugar on top, keep him in your thoughts or prayers (if you're so inclined) or send him good vibes. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

I hope you all have a brilliant Wednesday!

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger GoingLoopy said...

Thanks for the linkage, sister. And dear god, I have had the same bullshit happen to me...I actually had some fucker contact ME through the personals, set up a date, and then totally diss me. The moron emails me like three months later and said he canceled the date because he was "intimidated"...and then had the BALLS to ask me out again. I sent him an email back that said "don't see that anything has changed, so buh-bye." Hoser.

 
At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger Erica said...

Thanks for sharing the link to Clarity's blog - I have bookmarked it for future browsing. I always like new worthy reading material. Hey, have you ever thought of posting a list of links to blogs you read?

Anyway - on "over"confidence. I also get that whole "you're so sarcastic" thing - when really, I'm just subtly ironic. Or something. My friend Dahli (also saddled with this description, though not as frequently) and I once tried to sort out just what we were, if not exactly sarcastic. We're sarcastic, but that's really a vague term considering the many many other things that also describe us. And you, obviously. And most people! You just can't be pigeonholed by ONE adjective. "ASSHOLE" might be the bulk of a person's character but they might also be "NARCOLEPTIC."

Anyway. I have a lot of confidence that comes from not outwardly caring what most people think. Sure, I don't want to look stupid but I don't really worry about it, either. I can't remember the movie/TV show, but one person was telling another, "Just remember, you're never going to see any of these people again so go for it." Kind of how I go about my day, even though I do see the same people in the building over and over.

Long-winded comment! Just sayin, I understand the way people get intimidated by others who (to the naked eye) have their shit together. We need more people like us!

And I will keep your friend in my prayers.

 
At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger fakies said...

People always say stuff like that about me. But I tell them I'm not on the hunt anyway, so I wouldn't need their help. ;P

And no fries? Blasphemy!

 
At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger Stellar said...

We used to have a Red Robin in the mall. I liked it, but there must be some kind of Egyptian curse on that space in the mall because no less than 4 resturants have set up shop there and failed within 6 months.

I hope your OB had the decency to mention his co-worker either before or after the exam. Well... before would be more apropriate. I'd hate to believe he would exclude you from the running and only tell you afterwards. Then you'd have to go through the rest of your day more paranoid than you would've been otherwise.

Anywho... nice blog.

 
At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger Sherri said...

Hhmmm??? Are all blogging women "tough as nails" and "intimidating"? I have people, especially guys, tell me that all the time (although more in my single days). I don't think I'm intimidating, just confident.

And I LOVE Red Robin. Haven't been there in years. Thanks for the reminder. :)

 
At Thursday, 13 October, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Oh, God, I love Red Robin's fries...put that seasoning on them and drown them in Ranch dressing...I wish I wasn't on this diet, I'd be rushing to RR right now! :)

I've heard that, too...guys are too intimidated by me...what the hell?? Men are just scared!

 
At Monday, 17 October, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red Robin rules. My fave is the chix ceasar wrap with FRIES!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home