Friday, September 16, 2005

Rain, Umbrellas, Sunglasses and RedHots

It's raining here in MI and boy, did we need it. It made the walk in a touch damp, but it was raining hard enough that I actually used my umbrella, and I am not a fan of umbrellas, in general. I've never much liked umbrellas but grew to hate them in San Francisco where everybody would pull one out for the piddliest rain ever, which made walking down any street in the Financial District detrimental to your eyes. I actually stayed pretty dry and made pretty good progress w/o one because umbrellas cause a certain amount of space to be available, so I would just dodge between people but would be covered by their umbrellas. Worked really well, I have to say. It was frustrating though because it would slow me down and I have this problem of needing to be somewhere/anywhere as quickly as possible – whether I'm walking or driving.

I'm having a San Francisco day here in Detroit. It's raining and I bought RedHots last night. I was completely addicted to RedHots when I was in SF. If I didn't have any at my desk one of the consultants downstairs did and he told me I could help myself whenever. I would even buy bags and keep them at his desk to control my consumption of them. And the ridiculous thing? If I eat too many they set my asthma off. Yeah, you'd think I'd be smart enough not to indulge in something that affects my health adversely, but no.

August was a bad month for my sunglasses – specifically Tigers games attended during the month of August were bad for my sunglasses. I lost one pair at the first game I went to and they were my favorite pair (got them for $1 at the dollar store) and then the second pair broke on my birthday at the game when my sister hugged me Hello. That was the pair that I found in New Orleans back in January for $5 and had been so so so excited about. Yeah, gone. So, last week or the week before I tried on sunglasses at Target and found two pairs for more than I usually pay ($10 and $12), but I figured if they fit and I like them then they are worth it. Yeah, I was wrong. They were so not worth it. The one pair that I thought I liked best? All of a sudden are not fitting my head and are ridiculously uncomfortable. The other pair? I picked up off the desk in my hallway where I keep such things for handy out the door grabbing and one of the nosepieces fell off because the teeny tiny miniscule nut is gone. I might try to fix the 2nd pair by stealing a nut off the first pair (since I'm hating them so completely), but it looks like the type of job that's just going to frustrate me and piss me off.

Yesterday instead of going to the gym (common theme, eh?) I went to Target and was going to try on sunglasses once again, but got sidetracked with their $1 yarn. Yup, $1 yarn. Julieu had called me a day or so before and left a message (I forget to take the phone out of my purse and off vibrate all the time) about the $1 yarn. I had seen it but never had had time to stop before, but did yesterday and I have to say that it's not bad stuff for $1. In fact, it's pretty damn good. After my way too successful visit to Target, I was heading back home when I spotted TWO dollar stores in the same strip mall, so stopped and picked up three pairs of sunglasses for $1 each (the way I'm going through them I figured what the heck), and so far they haven't fall apart or become hideously uncomfortable. We will not discuss the whole rain and lack of sun issue. I really must get to dollar stores more often. They have great stuff! (Like RedHots)

Have a great weekend all.

5 Comments:

At Saturday, 17 September, 2005, Blogger Beth said...

1 dollar yarn. Rub it in, why don't ya? =0

Thanks for stopping by with your condolences!

 
At Saturday, 17 September, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Mmm...Red Hots! I haven't any of those in a long time! Now I have to run to 7-11! :)

Your sunglasses story is so sad. I always have bad luck with mine...I always shove them into my hair when I'm inside and then they stretch and fall off my face!

 
At Sunday, 18 September, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problems with both sunglasses and Umbrellas

Sunglasses I lose all the time and they break on me constantly. Usually because I'm stupid. I put them on my seat and then when I return I sit on them. I hear that familiar "crunch" sound and sigh.

Also I rarely use umbrellas and it's annoying trying to navigate through the streets of Germany during a rainstorm. I keep getting poked in the head, eye, and cheeks. People never look where they're going..especially the old folks.:)

Thanks for your last note, I read it to Eric. He understands, but still desires a child in the next 3 years. But he's willing to wait. He's very patient.

Our boss said we could use his car on Tuesday or Monday to pick up the package. Can't wait! Hope you had a good weekend!

 
At Monday, 19 September, 2005, Blogger fakies said...

My grandmother used to have a glass chicken on her kitchen table filled with Red Hots. We spent all day trying to sneak into them before dinner without getting our hands swatted.

My sister breaks every pair of sunglasses she owns. The frames fall off, the lenses pop out, or the nose piece disappears. I've had the same cheapo pair for about 5 years. Sure, they're dilapidated, but if I twist them a little, they fit fine.

 
At Tuesday, 20 September, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel ya about the sunglasses. I was in Florida and at Buell's Outlet (think T.J. Max) I got this great pair for two or three bucks, but then the lenses got too scratched (damn). I went to Claire's and found they had sunglasses for half off (about $4), but I've since misplaced them. Next time, check Claire's/Icing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home