Friday, July 15, 2005

Willy Wonka, Food, Stealing Jesus, Tour de France, Harry Potter and whatever else

I don't know, I'm just so torn. I love the original Willy Wonka movie and anybody who doesn't absolutely adore Gene Wilder should not come near me, and if anybody other than Tim Burton and Johnny Depp had made the re-make, I wouldn't go near it with a ten-foot-pole, but it's Tim Burton and Johnny Depp!!!!! The reviewer dissed "Candy Man!" If you're going to diss any song from the original, you gotta go with "Cheer up, Charlie" which was just an incredibly suck-ass song! "Candy Man" was the best song!!!

This is hilarious, particularly if you think Tom Cruise is a complete nutjob and you appreciate it when people make complete and total fun of Scientology. Thanks to Mopey Chick for finding the link.

The Indian food with Ursa Wednesday night was quite yummy and it'll be quite yummy tonight when I get my leftovers. I got my sushi last night and completely spoiled myself by ordering two additional orders of tempura asparagus to go (lunch today). It's going to be hard waiting for 11:00 a.m. knowing there's sushi waiting for me.

The reading discussion group met last night and it was a good discussion, I thought. Only a few of us had actually finished the book, but we made it sound interesting enough that the others said they were now planning on finishing reading it as well. And they all got their copies of the book from the library. I'm so used to buying books, that it never even occurred to me!!! Not that I'm sorry because I really liked the book, Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity. Ursa wants to borrow it now that I’m done with it. We had a nice discussion about it Wednesday night at dinner.

I have to be careful today and do my best to avoid all news of yesterday's Tour de France as I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I had to finish the book for the discussion group so that took precedence. For the record I want Lance to win his 7th, but I'm really pulling for Levi Leipheimer to have a fabulous race (he's in sixth right now). I literally finished the book sitting outside the house as I waited for 7:00 p.m. Not having met any of these people beforehand I didn't want to be rude and be late or early.

I did not go to the gym on Wednesday as I was disgusted with the whole pound and a half that I've lost in two months, but went back yesterday and did another hour on the treadmill while reading the book (really damn hard to underline while on a treadmill, I have to say). I'll be back at the gym again today *sigh* because even if I'm not losing weight, "it's good for my heart." As everybody is telling me. *double sigh* Whatever.

Tonight is the Big Night! Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince comes out tonight at midnight, and yes, I'll be at Borders to get it. Tomorrow my grand plan is to sit outside in the stifling heat (with my SPF 50) and read the book. I'm losing my tan from Toronto and I can't have that!!! I look better with a little color in my pasty white face.

I heard that yet another major character gets killed off in this book and of course, there's the Big Rumor that J.K. kills Harry off in the seventh and last one. Man, oh man, that will just piss me off, if she does that. I have enough trouble re-reading the fifth book because she killed off one of my favorite characters (see how nice I am that I'm not giving it away just in case there are people out there who for some reason or another has not yet read it). If she kills off Dumbledore or McGonagall I'll be most displeased. And if she kills off Dumbledore (in HP6) and Harry (in HP7), then Voldemort and Evil wins…so, I choose to think she won't do that. Harry has to win the battle against He Must Not Be Named (aka Voldemort). But then I think that she's said all along that there are only 7 books and I think that people would clamor for more books with Harry as an Auror, and the way to get out of that would be to kill Harry off in the last book – maybe with him and Voldemort killing in each other so that Evil is Conquered by Good, but she's not stuck having to come up with more ideas. I just don't know. I plan on having HP6 done by tomorrow night, especially since I have a very full Sunday – and it's full not doing what I want to do at all. ;-( I was supposed to go to my friend Jim's house on Sunday to watch the race from Edmonton (3:00 p.m. on Speed – it should be a great race, so tune in), and instead I'll be at Grandma's for my incredibly bratty cousin's b-day. I'm not completely upset because I do love getting together with my huge extended family and seeing Grandma, but I hate having to miss a race live! I have to get my butt to Target and buy some blank tapes. I'm taping over copies of The Pretender just to get the Tour de France yesterday and today. Yes, I know, I'm a geek, but I loved that show.

I am hoping to get my DVD from Ursa sometime soon of the races so far this year. She DVRd them and said she'd burn them to a DVD for me, so I can have them forever and always unlike tapes which degrade quickly. I'm so excited!!! I still need to see Cleveland and Toronto (I completely messed up the taping of Cleveland and missed the last half hour of the race). I'm so outta practice since I didn't tape any hockey games this past Winter. But I will be next season! We're getting hockey back!!! Yay!!! Thank God I live in Detroit and can get every single Wings games, as well as Hockey Night in Canada on Saturdays. I will miss the ESPN coverage where I could catch other teams, but at least I don't live in Chicago where all the Blackhawks' games are not televised because the owner is a dumbass loser.

Well, it's time to post this and fill out the spreadsheet for Finance so I can see what's left and who I need to harass with these open orders.

Have a fabulously brilliant weekend!!!

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, 19 July, 2005, Blogger Erica said...

I confess that I AM actually reading HP when my husband is not looking... I just couldn't say that on the blog since my husband reads it. :-) I CAN discuss the first five chapters, though. Email me if you want: mopeychick (AT) yahoo (DOT) com.

And I admit I started reading your post yesterday but I saw something about "rumors that JK Rowling kills Harry off" and I stopped reading immediately. I am just sick to think that I might get a major spoiler (though I totally doubt Harry would die since he IS the subject of the stories, after all) anywhere before I am ready. I WANT to enjoy this book but don't want to devour it all in one gulp like I did the last one.

So. Email me! We'll talk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home