Monday, June 27, 2005

CHUNKY???????!!!!!!

I should have slept in this morning. I am so blasted tired from my weekend it's not even funny. I was so tired last night that it never occurred to me that I don't actually have to get to work at 6:00 a.m. Although last night I was still operating under the delusion that I was going to the gym today. Now I'm thinking "Not so much." But then I'll remember that my friend DHJr, whom I hadn't seen in three years, told me, "You've gotten chunky. You look good." Now, I don't know what world DHJr lives in, but in my world "chunky" is NOT a compliment (Sorry, Urs, yes, I know you heard about it all weekend, but you know how obsessed I am). He tried to back off from his comment and told my Mom that he had called me "thick," not "chunky," but I'm still not sure that "thick" is complimentary. Anybody? When I told DH1 about DHJr's comment, he just shook his head. I guess the rest of the guys (they're known as DH1 and The Boys, even though they're all in their late 50s/early 60s) gave DHJr a hard time the rest of the weekend and we all started calling DHJr "Chunky." We all laughed, including DHJr., although he kept protesting that he didn't mean it in a bad way.

The weekend itself was fabulous fun, but then again, I was at the races!!! I ALWAYS have fun at the races, as there are fast cars turning right and left right there in front of me with the beautiful sound of the turbocharged 750 horsepower engines washing over me. Ah, heaven!!!! I got to see a bunch of people I hadn't seen in anywhere from 3 years to just a couple of weeks, and it was ALL GOOD!!! I got to tell Max Papis, "We miss you." And he responded with more than a hint of sadness in his voice, "Me too." You are loved, Max. I would gladly give up Ryan Hunter-Reay to get Max into a Champ Car. I'm sorry, I know I'm supposed to be all about wanting more Americans in the series, but I'd rather have drivers who have a personality and can drive the hell out of a race car. The first time I ever saw Max drive a race car was the 1996 Daytona 24 Hours. He was in a Ferrari 333SP (God, I loved that car!!!! It was so beautiful). I forget exactly what happened to cause him to run full out in the dying moments of the race (remember this is a 24 HOUR race), but he had that car flying! He was catching the leader after taking over the car down a lap, and as the checkered flag fell he was just seconds behind the leader in the closest finish in Daytona 24 History. I, for one, remember it as one of the most thrilling moments of my racing spectating life. Hereis a much better recollection of the race and how Max earned his nickname, Mad Max.

That drive got him the attention of American racing series, including Champ Car and Cal Wells (the only links I could find to Cal were related to his NASCAR ventures and I'm just not inclined to link to NASCAR crap). Later that year after we lost Jeff Krosnoff in a hideous accident in Toronto, Cal called Max and Max took over the Panasonic car. He quickly became a fan favorite due to his vibrant personality and passion for racing. He's now racing in the Speed World Challenge GT Series, and he's doing well, but he's an open wheel racer and he belongs in Champ Car.

Oh yeah, back to my weekend. It was a great time and I'm bloody tired and can barely keep my eyes open and I am having trouble caring (and spelling) about my usual Monday reports. One down, three to go.

I'll tell you all about it tomorrow. I should really try to finish another report before my limited 8 hour day is up. I have a fun-filled dentist's appt. at 4:00 today. She told me six months ago that I should floss every day and then rinse afterwards with a water and hydrogen peroxide mix. Needless to say I have not done it every day and when I did do the water/hydrogen peroxide mix I felt like I was blowing bubbles for a while afterwards, so I did not do that as often as I should have. I will do it before heading over today, of course. Do dentists really expect everybody to floss every day? I know we should, but do they really think we will???

2 Comments:

At Monday, 27 June, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How clueless do you have to be to think "chunky" is a compliment?!!! Say something like "voluptuous" instead. We should give guys a manual!

 
At Wednesday, 29 June, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AGREE with the drinking and driving thing!!! A friend of mine, not a week ago, just casually dropped into the conversation he lost his liscense because of DUI.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??
Bunch of dorks.
Oh, and THANKS! For the comment awhile back about Bill. You rock!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home