Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Return of Electricity!

Thank you, Canada, for having the guts to do the right thing.

I find it absolutely amazing that so many people still drink and drive. No, really, I'm not that naïve, I know people drink and drive, but most people I know who still do it have maybe two beers and that's it. The people in this article aren't blowing just the new lower legal limit (here in Michigan) of .08, but they're way over the old limit (0.10). And on their way to pick up their child at daycare? Or with their baby in the car? What on earth is wrong with these people???? I remember when I worked the door at the bar that I was amazed that people didn't have designated drivers and this was at the height of the Designated Driver push. Do people even think about designated drivers anymore? If I'm driving I limit myself to one beer (or none at all) and I have to be somewhere for a good 2-3 hours and eat some food. I don't want to be responsible for killing or injuring an innocent person nor do I care to lose my license or end up in jail.

The power was back on in my apartment when I got home yesterday. Yay!!! But since I don't really have air conditioning (I have one small window unit in the dining room which just keeps the humidity down in that room), I went to Borders for the book Stealing Jesus by Bruce Bawer which is this month's choice for Ypsi-Arbor Progressive Reading Club set up by Mark Maynard. I don't live in Ypsi or Ann Arbor, but that doesn't matter. While there I remembered that the new (eleventh) Janet Evanovich book had come out the week before, so I picked that up as well. I had an eye doctor's appt. at 4:30 and went straight there and got there around 3:30. When I walked in the receptionist just looked at me and said, "Kathleen, your appointment isn't until 4:30." "Yes, I know, but you have air conditioning and I don't." She just laughed and said, "That's smart of you." So, I sat and read the latest Stephanie Plum novel and when I got home I finished it. If you haven't read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books you should do yourself a favor and do so. Just ask, I'll lend mine out. They've been mailed to North Carolina and Illinois. They're nice and light and will make you laugh out loud. After finishing that latest book, I crawled into bed with Stealing Jesus and so far it's very interesting, and I'm only on page 14.

I slept like a rock last night, which I so needed, as I was just brain dead. I went to bed at 7:30 and was dead asleep by 8:00 p.m. When I was a kid I would have killed to stay up past 8:00 p.m. and now I'm voluntarily going to bed while it's still light out. A tad pathetic, but I like to think that as an adult I am aware of the need of a good night's sleep. That's my reasoning and I'm sticking with it!!!

I'm going to be gone next week on vacation. I'm leaving Saturday and heading Up North with BST (he's getting close on the mileage on his lease car) and going to a cottage with a bunch of friends. BST and I will come home on Wednesday, so that I can drive to Toronto the next day for the race with Mom and my friend Jim. I think I'll be tired of driving long distances for a while after that. Growing up, we never went Up North, so this is a new experience for me (I went up for a couple of days last year). I remember we went to a friend's cottage once and I caught a blue gill, but I think that was just for the day or maybe two days and most definitely wasn't very far away. I'm really looking forward to a few days of just lazing around and doing whatever!!!

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, 29 June, 2005, Blogger Jason said...

"lazing around and doing whatever"...sounds lovely. I can't wait myself.

 
At Thursday, 30 June, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

I promised myself I wouldn't buy any books until the new Harry Potter book came out - then I saw the new Janet Evanovich and that promise got thrown right out the window!! Haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, though. Glad to hear it's just as good as the others, although I had no doubt! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home