Monday, July 25, 2005

Friday and Saturday and more of my thoughts on the Tour

First things first. Everybody go to Ursamajor's site and wish her a Happy Birthday! I won't give away her age, that's up to her to do! I’m going out to dinner with her and her Mom this evening. Yay! Yummy Arabic food will be eaten!

Bloody hell!!! WTF is up with this weather???? I was listening to the radio at 4:58 a.m. today and the temp was 84˚F and they didn't even tell me the humidity level, but I'm pretty sure it was at least 95% (or 3 billion per cent) And my brother just told me that the humidex (which combines the temp with the humidity) at 11:00 p.m. last night was 100˚F. Are you fucking kidding me???? 100˚F at 11:00 p.m.???? Needless to say I got very little sleep last night and was outta the house this morning before 5:15 since I was sweating so badly that I couldn't even contemplate putting my make-up on at home. I grabbed my make-up bag, took out what I knew I wouldn't need and threw it in my bag and bailed! I'm looking forward to Wednesday when it's supposed to be 78˚F. That will feel like heaven, I'm sure.

Friday I went to the gym and did an hour on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the elliptical and then 15 minutes on the Stairmaster. You'd think that would be enough to lose weight, wouldn't you? Yeah, well, whatever. I also watched my tape of the Tour and since I didn't take notes, I don't remember it very well. So, no recapping of Friday's stage (yeah, yeah, I know you're all heart-broken). I ended up going out for drinks with my friend from work. He had mentioned it to another guy at work and he showed up with his wife and we had a lovely time sitting outside drinking beer and just talking. I had four Guinnesses and they were just lovely.

Saturday I got up before 8:30 so that I could start the laundry before the Tour started. Like I've said many times before I LOVE LOVE LOVE the individual time trials of the Tour. And this stage was no exception, although I want to say right off the bat, Poor Ol' Michael Rasmussen, as Phil Ligget said roughly 3,824 times on Saturday. Michael had the worst time trial I have ever seen. The poor thing fell off his bike twice, changed bikes four times (according to Phil and Paul) after having a puncture and then just not getting comfortable (I guess) with the replacement bike. My heart just broke when Lance who had started six minutes behind him passed him. Good for Lance, really really sucky for Michael. I'm sure he felt like giving up, but he persevered and yesterday (I'm assuming that things didn't change and that Michael didn't abandon yesterday which would have been silly and ridiculous) he got the polka dot jersey as King of the Mountain, but I so wanted him to keep the podium position. Lance kicked complete butt, once again, in his time trial and took the stage win and cemented without doubt his seven Tour win. The guy on the radio yesterday said, "Lance Armstrong will win his seventh Tour de France today, as long as he doesn't fall off the bike." Uh, no, dipshit, even if Lance had fallen off the bike, the peloton would have waited for him and he still would have won the yellow jersey. There are rules and etiquette involved in the Tour and if the leader falls, you wait for him. Lance did it in 1999 or 2000 when Jan Ulrich went off the side of the mountain. Lance waited for Jan to climb back up the hill carrying his bike and then they took off once more. I realise that in this day and age of reality TV shows where it's all about being as dickish as possible that this is a foreign concept to many people, but it's nice to know that there is etiquette left somewhere in the world.

I got my three loads of laundry done while watching the Tour, then quickly showered and ran out of the house because my cousin's Graduation party was starting at 1:00. I got there at 1:17 p.m. to find she wasn't even there, so I could have stopped at Target to look for blank video tapes and a certain DVD of a certain fabulous Audrey Hepburn movie, but I hate being late, so I didn't stop. *sigh* I thought I would have time after the party, but the party didn't really end. It just moved from Grandma's clubhouse to Grandma's condo. I got home after 10:30 p.m., and still had to put clean sheets on the bed. I knew I would regret not making the bed before I left, but I so hate being late, as I've stated before.


Post a Comment

<< Home