Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Home Makeover, Graduations and Organ Donation

I have a question for you all this morning. Is it possible to watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition without crying???? Bloody hell!!! But that show just wrings me dry emotionally. And the thing is that I've never once caught an entire show! I can turn it on the last fifteen minutes and I still cry.

This past weekend my YS graduated with her masters in physical therapy and I got to go to the graduation ceremony. The guy actually had an interesting message (not that I remember it now) and the whole shebang only took two hours which I didn't think was too bad, although we were all FREEZING to death. The graduates were all down on the floor fanning themselves and all of us up in the bleachers were huddled into our lightweight jackets fighting to stay warm with cold air blowing directly on us for the entire time. Even Grandma was chilly and she's never cold!!!

If any of you find yourselves in Mt. Pleasant for any reason and need a place to eat, the Sweet Onion is highly recommended, at least for its desserts. The peanut butter pie was YUMMY!!!!!

Church on Sunday was emotionally draining, to say the least. And it had nothing to do with possible church closings or the results of meetings downtown. One of our members had been on the kidney transplant list for five years and it was getting serious. Then two weeks a 36-year-old woman suffered from a stroke and something else and was down to 25% brain function. Her family decided to take her off life support but before they did that, they made the ever important decision to donate her organs. The woman's sister works at the school and knew our parishioner needed a kidney, so they called him in and amazingly enough, she was a match for him. They donated all of her organs, so through one selfless act they saved a number of lives and improved the lives of others.

The woman's entire family was at church taking up 5-6 pews, and during the announcements at the end of Mass, the mother of the kidney recipient got up and thanked the family for their donation and gave them flowers and stuff and cried and everybody in the church was crying. I guess the man in need of the kidney had reached the point where dialysis wasn't helping him as efficiently and he was getting tired, so this was perfect timing. It made Mother's Day a bit more special, I think, even for the woman who lost a daughter, but gained much love in return.

After Mass I got out my driver license and saw that I hadn't filled out my organ donor information on the back, so I filled it out and my sister witnessed it and I did the same for her. So, please everybody, fill out the organ donor card and make sure your family knows that you want to do that. It's not like those organs are going to do you any good once you're dead and buried or dead and cremated.

On to surveys I got from mercyseat:


The Keys to Your Heart



You are attracted to good manners and elegance.

In love, you feel the most alive when your partner is patient and never willing to give up on you.

You'd like to your lover to think you are stylish and alluring.

You would be forced to break up with someone who was ruthless, cold-blooded, and sarcastic.

Your ideal relationship is open. Both of you can talk about everything... no secrets.

Your risk of cheating is zero. You care about society and morality. You would never break a commitment.

You think of marriage as something that will confine you. You are afraid of marriage.

In this moment, you think of love as something you can get or discard anytime. You're feeling self centered.

Interesting….I chose cat for the last answer and apparently the people who created this survey view cats as being self-centered. I just didn't really much care for the other animals.


Here's a shocker:


Your Political Profile



Overall: 10% Conservative, 90% Liberal

Social Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Personal Responsibility: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

Fiscal Issues: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

Ethics: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

Defense and Crime: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal

I do object to the Personal Responsibility thing though as I do believe in personal responsibility, but I also think that we should help those less fortunate than ourselves, as opposed to making them pull themselves up by their bootstraps with one hand while holding on to the edge of the cliff with the other.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 11 May, 2005, Blogger Jason said...

Welcome to the blogspot community!
Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home