Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Ramblings, Surveys and Dancing Stories

Go read and read this. It'll make your heart weep and make you wonder about all those people who voted for our present President into office for a second time because he made them feel safe.

I know I haven't updated in a while, but I've just been busy here at work and at home I have been moving all of my crap up the stairs. I have finally (mostly) finished getting all of my stuff out of the downstairs apartment, except for the stuff that I’m putting out for the garbage men to pick up Friday morning. They'll be in front of my apartment building for at least five minutes just throwing my crap into the big crushing truck.

I didn't get a chance to vacuum the entire apt before the power was turned off yesterday, but I am planning getting out the extension cords and plugging into the hallway outlets. Now to get all of my crap organised into the new apt. That should only take a year or so. *sigh* So much to do. I stopped doing anything at all last night around 7:30 and gave myself an hour of sitting on the couch before I decided to head to bed. I was just so tired that I was in bed before 9:00 p.m. And that's early, even for me! I even got a little knitting done. But that's it, no more slacking for me.

I took a couple of surveys that Jason took and I stole the idea from him.



Your Taste in Music:


80's Alternative: Highest Influence
80's Pop: High Influence
Punk: Medium Influence
Ska: Medium Influence
90's Hip Hop: Low Influence
90's Pop: Low Influence
Progressive Rock: Low Influence

They should have given me a few more options. And a chance to click a "I hate this person's 'music' more than life itself" button, if they're going to put hacks like Sheryl Crow on the list.

This survey (along with my lovely Left of the Dial CDs) have me reminiscing on my old dancing days. I used to go dancing four nights a week. And I would dance for HOURS with nary a break. It was all about dancing. I know people went to the bar (I never got into calling it a "club") to drink, but for me it was all about the chance to dance and express myself. And trust me I express myself!!! My little brother actually hates to see me dance, as he is embarrassed by it. The funny thing is that among other Goth/punk types, I always get tons of compliments on my dancing. My LB is definitely not a Goth/punk.

Anyway, back to my dancing days. In my heyday, I went four nights a week – Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. One of my favorite stories happened early in the evening on a Tuesday. Donna and I were both dancing. She was on her side of the stage (the stage was maybe six inches off the main dance floor), right side as you face out and I was on mine (left). We were both dancing oblivious to all around us, when this guy comes up and starts dirty dancing, or rather, trying to dirt dance with me. I just kept dancing and made a graceful turn and did what my friend Jen calls "dancing with fists and elbows," and I elbowed him hard in the stomach. I heard him make an oomph noise and then he was gone. As I turned back around, I noticed he was doing the same thing to Donna. As I watched, she just hauled off and punched in the stomach. Across the stage and with the loud music I could still hear him say Ouch. I had to turn away quickly so that he didn't see me burst out laughing. I mean, she wasn't even subtle about it! I could have pawned mine off as a dance move, but there was no mistaking the fact that Donna had just out and out punched him. Needless to say, he left us alone. A number of our friends had been standing there and watched the whole thing and they were on the floor laughing (thankfully not literally as the floor was just disgusting). Yo, frat boy, you think you're going to make fun of the Goth/punk chicks? I don't think so. Man, we were such hard asses, weren't we? Or not.

Another time, it was later in the evening and I don't remember what day it happened on, but the DJ was playing the Sisters of Mercy (This Corrosion, I think), and I was doing my thing on the stage and my friend Amir was doing his on the dance floor directly in front of me. Somehow our heads connected…or rather, more specifically, my orbital bone made contact with his bald head and I ended up with a black eye almost immediately. I got some ice from the bartenders and all us regulars teased Amir the rest of the night about my black eye. It hurt, but it was worth it seeing Amir get all embarrassed and blushing with people thinking he had hit me.






You Are 55% Normal

(Somewhat Normal)




While some of your behavior is quite normal...

Other things you do are downright strange

You've got a little of your freak going on

But you mostly keep your weirdness to yourself

I like not being normal.




Your Travel Profile:



You Are Well Traveled in the Southern United States (54%)

You Are Well Traveled in the Midwestern United States (50%)

You Are Somewhat Well Traveled in Canada (40%)

You Are Somewhat Well Traveled in the Western United States (37%)

You Are Somewhat Well Traveled in Africa (25%)

You Are Mostly Untraveled in the Northeastern United States (14%)

You Are Mostly Untraveled in Latin America (7%)

You Are Untraveled in Asia (0%)

You Are Untraveled in Australia (0%)

You Are Untraveled in Eastern Europe (0%)

You Are Untraveled in New Zealand (0%)

You Are Untraveled in Scandinavia (0%)

You Are Untraveled in Southern Europe (0%)

You Are Untraveled in Western Europe (0%)

You Are Untraveled in the Middle East (0%)

You Are Untraveled in the United Kingdom (0%)

The places that I really want to visit are: Spain (all of it), Sweden, Latin America, and Russia. Now if someone gave me a plane ticket to England, France, Italy, etc., I certainly wouldn't turn them down. I want to get to those places, but the others are first! Although just to be near the Guinness factory, I might have to move England/Ireland up.


I was just reading on-line that the Hubble space telescope is 15 years old!!! How is that possible? I remember when it went up and there was the big kafluffle about something being wrong and it being unable to send clear pictures back to earth and they had to wait for it come back around closer or something to get it fixed, and I don't even remember how they did it. I do know that it's sending back some pretty cool pictures (750,000 to date) these days though. I saw the Eagle Nebulae and the Whirlpool Galaxy pics the other day and they're pretty freaking cool. You can check them out at yahoo.

And that will be it for the day, kidlets! I hope y'all enjoyed my ramblings. Or not….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home