Wednesday, April 20, 2005

New Pope, New Apartment and a couple of Surveys

So, we got a new Pope yesterday and I have to say that I am less than thrilled with the choice made. When is the Church going to move out of the Middle Ages???? I mean, really. Pope Benedict XVI as Cardinal Ratzinger was known as God's Rottweiler. Now, I don't know about you, but that can't be a good thing. Rottweilers aren't exactly known as being sweet and adorable. Um, no, I think they're more known for ripping people's faces off – now I've met sweet Rottweilers, but I don't think that's what they're known for, so don't send me e-mails saying how Rottweilers are misunderstood, etc. I'm talking about their known reputation – not whether or not it's a valid reputation. Okay? Thanks.

And according to Darrell (one of these days I'll not be lazy and link to him), dear ol' Cardinal Ratzinger was prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the former Holy Office which was also formerly known as a little something called The Inquisition. Nice, eh? I spent the last 26 years ignoring the last Pope, so I guess I can spend the next however many ignoring this one. And I just read at the New York Times that he prefers a "Purer Church" to a larger one. Whatever! Good thing, because that's what he's going to get. I actually think he's going to be even more conservative than the last one. *sigh*

I have one completely empty clean room in the downstairs apartment – the bathroom. I took my first shower in the new apartment and let's just say it was a tad disappointing. The hot water pressure in the shower (but not the tub or the sinks) is damn near nil. I turned the hot tap all the way on, and then turned the cold on maybe a half of a centimeter. If it turn it on to the point where the water coming out of the shower head is at a decent pressure, it's a little too chilly for a shower. I shall be conversing with my Schneider about it, that's for damn sure. I know the pressure is there, it just needs to get to the shower.

The fridge is still not where I want it, so I am refusing to move my kitchen stuff up. If it isn't moved by the time I get home today I shall call and ask. I'm tired of having to run downstairs when I want to eat. Not really very convenient. I live in an apt., not a house!!!! I should not have to go downstairs to shower or eat!!!!

And I guess that's about it.

Survey Day!!!



Your Linguistic Profile:



70% General American English

15% Upper Midwestern

10% Yankee

5% Midwestern

0% Dixie

Julie answered this survey yesterday, and I figured that it was interesting, so I borrowed it.

01. What is the geekiest part of your music collection?

Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow

02. What do you eat when you raid the fridge late at night?

Nothing as I never have any food in my house for dinner, much less late night raiding.

03. What is your secret guaranteed weeping movie?

Just about any movie with a schmaltzy happy ending, and I'm not sure it's a big secret that I cry at movies. Mask will make me cry every time (not the stupid Jim Carrey one, but the Cher and Eric Stoltz movie).

04. If you could have plastic surgery, what would you have done?

Nothing. It's not that I think I’m perfect (far from it), I just don't believe in plastic surgery. Have you people seen Joan Rivers?????

05. Do you have a completely irrational fear?

Ladders and earwigs

06. What is the little physical habit that gives away your insecure moment?

When giving a speech my voice usually has a waver in it, and my hands shake. See me doing the first reading at best friend growing up's wedding. I had complete strangers coming up to me to comment on my nervousness – which didn't really help.

07. Are you a pyromaniac?

Heavens, NO!

08. Do you have too many love interests?

No. I have one, but he's not interested, so it just doesn't matter.

09. Do you know anyone famous?

Current lead singer for famous guitarist…I can picture him…give me a second. Ah, that's it. Carlos Santana.

10. Describe your bed:

Pillow top mattress on a lovely House of Denmark platform bed.

11. Spontaneous or plain?

I don't even understand this question. Spontaneous or plain what??? Those two words aren't opposites!

12. Who should play you in a movie about your life?

Calista Flockhart could play my skinny high school and college years. Somebody with a little meat on her bones would have to play me after that – but who? Hmmm. Actually, people used to tell me that I looked like Lori Petty when Tank Girl was out, but she'd have to dye her hair red. But please whatever you do, please, please please don't let Sandra Bullock anywhere near it.

13. Do you know how to play poker?

I know the objective and which hands beat which hands, but I never got the whole betting, raising, calling process. My family plays Mexican poker (taught to us by our Mexican family) and that's cool. The most you can lose is a quarter.

14. What do you carry with you at all times?

My purse containing my wallet, lipstick, lip moisturiser, and inhaler.

15. What do you miss most about being little?

Playing all day long, all summer long.

16. Are you happy with your given name?

I used to hate it, but I like it now.

17. How much money would it take to get you to give up the Internet for one year?

Enough to cover the cost of my phone bill which would go up considerably.

18. What colour is your bedroom?

White, although my duvet color is a lovely brick red.

19. What was the last song you were listening to?

Um, no clue. I took my headphones off ages ago…!

20. Have you ever been in a play?

Does some lame little skit in front of my English class in the 8th grade count? If so, I have no idea what it was called, but I remember that I played the uncool girl (it was a stretch – not) whose mother bought her dark blue jeans (which were apparently not cool) and some cool girls were helping me wash them in bleach. I think it took place at camp or some such right of grade school passage.

21. Have you ever been in love?

Excellent question. I thought I was 20 years ago, but now I don't know if I was.

22. Do you talk a lot?

I can talk your ear off, but I like to think I know how to listen too.

23. Do you like yourself and believe in yourself?

It depends on my self-confidence level on any given day. I wasn't liking myself or believing in myself this past weekend.

24. Do transient, homeless, or starving people sometimes annoy you?

Only when they get in your face, but that's a rarity.

25. Do you consider yourself to be a nice person?

I think I'm a nice person.

26. Do you spend more time with your girlfriend/boyfriend or your friends?

As I don't have a boyfriend/girlfriend, I'll say I spend more time with my cats.

27. What is your ideal marriage location?

My church.

28. Which musical instrument do you wish you could play?

Violin

29. Favourite fabric?

Silk

30. Something you love and hate?

Corn on the cob straight from the stalk – so sweet and delicious, but then you have to go and find the damn dental floss.

31. What kind of bedding do you use?

I have the t-shirt like sheets on my bed right now. In the winter I have these ultra fluffy, faux cashmere sheets.

32. Do you tell your friends about your sex life?

What sex life?

33. What's the one language you want to learn?

Not just one: Russian, Swedish and Portuguese.

34. How do you eat an apple?

I take a nice big bite out of it and then the juice dribbles down my chin and I have to find a napkin…rinse, repeat until it's gone!

35. What do you order at a bar?

Guinness, generally. Occasionally, a margarita.

36. Have you ever pierced your body parts?

Just my ears.

37. Do you have tattoos?

Nope.

38. Would you ever admit to having done plastic surgery any kind if confronted?

I wouldn't have it done, so there is nothing to admit.

39. What's one of the "funniest" things you've ever done?

I'm not a jokester, so there's nothing there. I'm trying to think of a pratfall….Last summer I had my YS and LB (Little Brother because what else do you call your 6-foot younger brother?) in tears from my throwing ability or lack thereof. Apparently I'm quite amusing as I throw like a girl. They would tell you that I was laughing too, but literally I was crying and laughing at the same time – laughing to hide the fact that even after all these years I hear my father ridiculing me because I "throw like a girl." And it still hurts…not a very funny entry, eh?

40. Do you drive stick?

No, I'm a complete klutz with no sense of timing or grace or athletic ability. It is simply beyond me.

41. What's one trait you hate in a person?

Complete self-absorption which usually goes hand-in-hand with people who don't a clue that they have an annoying personality.

42. What kind of watch(es) do you wear?

Ones that tell me the time when I need them to. I'm wearing a Fossil at the moment, but also have a Guess (I think) and then a denim blue one. I'm not really a name-dropper, but very few watches come with the watchband that goes behind the watch itself and since I'm allergic to metal, I have to buy what I can find.

43. Most frivolous purchase?

The two dresses I bought at Trashy Diva in New Orleans.

44. Do you consider yourself materialistic?

When it comes to books, CDs, DVDs, and yarn, yes.

45. What do you cook the best?

Ramen? I can cook, but I don't cook any one thing often enough for something to be considered my Best.

46. Favourite writing instrument?

Any pen with a fine point. I *hate* medium point pens!!!!!

47. Do you prefer to stand out or blend in?

I'd say blend in, but I'm sure somebody out there would remind me of my dancing days – and I don't mean strip joint dancing, but club dancing when I'd be the only one on the stage dancing, because everybody else in the freaking bar had to be drunk before they could get out and dance.

48. Would you ever go out dressed like the opposite sex?

Oh yeah, I was there for the 80s and wore ties.

49. What's one car you will never buy?

A Hummer.

50. What kind of books do you like to read?

Mysteries, Spy novels, suspense, good fiction, but not chick lit, generally.

51. If you won the lottery, what would you do?

Go to every single race on the Champ Car schedule.

52. Burial or cremation?

Cremation after they've harvested any and all donatable organs and then I want to be scattered from the top of the Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacan.

53. How many online journals do you read regularly?

Seventeen

54. What's one thing you're a sore loser at?

Anything. I hate not being good at something.

55. If you don't like a person, how do you show it?

I generally don't speak to people I don't like. I can't be bothered to waste my precious time speaking to people who annoy the ever-living hell out of me.

56. Do you cry in front of friends?

I try not to, but sometimes I just can't stop it.

57. What kind of first impression do you think you give to people?

That I'm a true Leo, which I'm not.

58. What's one thing you like to do alone?

Read, knit, watch TV/movies.

59. Are you a giver or a taker?

I like to think I'm a giver.

60. When's the last time you cried?

Saturday.

61. Favourite communication method?

E-mail as I can think about what I want to say. I'm not good on the front line.

62. How many drinks before you're tipsy?

Three, I'm a lightweight.

63. Do you think you're cute?

I have my moments.

64. Do you have problems changing clothes in front of friends?

Not as long as they're female friends.

65. What's the most painful experience you've ever had?

Even though it was high school and therefore oh so many years ago, the day in my senior year when I went to my locker that I shared with my "friend" and found she had moved out w/o saying a word. When I asked her what was up, she said, "Well, it’s not like we've been hanging around or anything." Blah Blah Blah. The reason we weren't hanging around? I actually had to work and the group had stopped inviting me to join them because one of the guys didn't like me. It's amazing how high school sucks so incredibly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home