Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My Take on the Weekend, More San Jose, Twister

The good doctor has asked my opinion of what happened this past weekend. Now I wasn't actually going to say anything since I didn't watch any of that particular event. I sat outside and finished reading Into the Wild (a little preview of what's to come in a week or so) and got some vitamin D. However, I've heard enough about it that I can declare Ryan Briscoe my new hero.

I'm a little giddy with the excitement of it all, as from everything I've heard has described *her* as "stomping down pitlane," "mean face," "whining." I'M LOVING THIS! I'm hoping that people are finally figuring out she isn't all sweetness and light. I've had a couple of the guys at work tell me that they're noticing her true personality coming out.

And really, what race car driver complains to their pits over the radio "this car sucks?" Most real race car drivers say things like "it's understeering as I go into turn 4" or for those less technically articulate "it's loose in turn 3." Saying the car sucks doesn't really tell the crew anything helpful, you know, in case they like their driver and might want the car to suck less. They need to know if they need to add wing to the car or take it out or adjust the tire pressure, etc. Dumbass b*tch.

One good thing about this past Sunday's event is that it's the ONE and ONLY event on their schedule which attracts media outside the usual people and they might have more journalistic integrity than those usual people who are worried about losing their hard cards, and therefore, willing to tow the party line and not report what a complete wench she is. That's my hope at any rate.

I really hope that there are more articles like this one, as well, showing how things at that series are all geared to help her win and do well, regardless of talent level and ability. Honestly, even NASCAR left the dark ages a good 5-10 years ago and weigh the entire car and driver together. It's the only truly fair way to run things. Rules should be transparent to everybody interested, not vaguely and unclearly explained, so that nobody, even those heavily involved in the series, understands how things are determined. Of course, I say that they get what they deserve considering, except for the Champ Car teams, they all went willingly into the quagmire of TFG's "vision."

On a happier note (because the whole mess still depresses me if I think too much about it), the Wings are up 2 games to none against the Penguins (Sorry, LL). Whew! I hope my boys continue to play brilliantly and bring the Stanley Cup back to Detroit. No offense, Pittsburgh, but I prefer red and white to gold and black.

Hmm, I was going to tell you something about my trip to San Jose. Let me think. Oh yeah!!! I played Twister. And kicked some serious butt, which just goes to show that old age and determination can take on youthful exuberance and still win. The first day I got there was the LB's actual birthday and his girlfriend's whole family was there, along with all members of our family in Northern California. The kids from the girlfriend's family broke out the Twister game and after watching the kids for a couple of games (and being the official spinner), I got into the game. There were either 2 or 3 kids to start, but pretty soon it was down to the LB's GF's 13 (or 14) year old niece and me. It was a tightly fought game, but I prevailed in the end. Woohoo! On Saturday at the big party, I played again (and after a couple of beers), this time against the GF's 9 (or 10) year old son. He had declared himself unbeatable or some such crap, but once again the out-of-shape, half-drunken old lady took no prisoners and kicked butt. There might be some pics on-line of the first game… ;-)

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At Tuesday, 27 May, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Dash it all!!! We'll tie it up at home... ;)

So... I'm sensing a little bit of discontent toward the lovely Danica here... Shouldn't she get all the breaks? After all... she is better looking than most of they guys... especially when she pouts. :P

 
At Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

Well, I dunno. Tempermental race car drivers are nothing new; neither are tempermental women. Perhaps the problem you have isn't with Danica so much as with the image that was created for her. A hot-looking gal who can drive a bit was a godsend to the open-wheelers - finally something to talk about after years of losing fans. Heaven forbid that their Barbie doll would turn out to have a personality, and one with a bit of a nasty streak at that. I don't know how much control Danica had over the image that got presented to us, but we all know how afraid the media is of women who actually have a bit of fighting spirit in them. Ask Hillary Clinton.

Sarah Fisher, meanwhile, can't seem to catch a break.

You may not have Danica to kick around much longer, though. The rumors down here are that she's getting ready to follow the money, and that she'll be in NASCAR in another year or two.

 
At Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - Keep dreaming...just don't start whining like your team.

Dr. - There's difference between temperamental and a bitch. She's a bitch. I've seen her diss Downs syndrome 4-year-olds. A nurse told me how she dissed two quadraplegics and gave them the hand. A friend's son works at teh Target where she shops and every single employee has complained to him about what a bitch she is to them. There's a difference to having a nasty streak on the track and being a bitch to everybody you come across in life.

And she has everything to do with how she's been marketed. Before she got her "big" break in the IRL, she CHOSE to pose in Maxim.

If you think she can handle a full-sized Cup car you are sadly mistaken. Sarah Fisher can't catch a break because she's not cute or willing to sell her soul by being a pin-up.

Did you ever hear of Katherine Legge? She started in Atlantics after Danica left (after spending three years there and winning NOTHING). Katherine was in Atlantics for one year and won THREE races. She wanted to maintain her dignity, so she didn't pose half-naked in men's magazines.

 
At Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, come now. I've seen a lot worse jerks in race driving in my 30+ years of enjoying the sport. I also know that NECKAR is the WORST at rigging a sport so the result is what they want or 'getting the fans an exciting finish'.

I think there are worse things than posing in Maxim. Such as, sleeping with your car owner (as one of the female drivers in NASCAR did, just to get ahead on the game) or willingly take money from cigarette companies that lied and deceived the public, or being a spoiled brat racing on daddy's money and having little talent (too many to count, but the first one I remember was Salt Walther, and in F-1 Pedro Diniz comes to mind).

Heck, AJ Foyt has done WORSE things than Danica, and he's an American hero. But he's a total jerk, and complained about 'ferign' drivers yet kept hiring no talents like Marco Greco because they brought the $$.

I think the silly slap fight that Montoya and Harvick got into a Watkins Glen last year was more embarrassing than what Danica was doing.

Ryan Briscoe was totally at fault. Just like Marco Andretti. And Kimi Raikkonen. That's the breaks.

 
At Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Smed - I've been watching for 35 years, just for the record. I don't argue that there are prima donnas in racing. There are probably more prima donnas than not, and I don't like a good number of them. I actually don't think AJ Foyt is a friggin' American hero. He's a complete jerk. In fact, I've made those exact same observations about him. I hate him almost as much as I hate Danica.

And yes, NASCAR is the largest fixed sport in the world, but how is that an argument for the IRL becoming one as well? I prefer my sports unadulterated from outside influences (even bad refereeing in hockey). Sadly, the majority of Americans are easily duped into thinking what they see is real. Puhleeze, Jeff Gordon from Indiana wins the first Brickyard 400? Give me a break.

Of course, I have paid no attention to NASCAR since Dale died (and I hated him), so I missed the bitch-slap fest last year. I'm not sure how that's an argument for The Bitch, however.

I don't give a damn if Ryan was at fault. The Bitch was at fault when she hit a crew member, but she was absolved of that almost immediately, because you can't have your biggest "star" looking like a complete schmuck. Of course, nobody cares about the crew member because he was only a Champ Car guy...just like the Newman/Haas crewman who was killed in a bar fight early in the month.

But I guess what you're saying is that it's okay to ignore children, quadraplegics, people with Downs syndrome and others less fortunate because you're Danica Patrick - and treat Target employees like shit...as much as I hate Paul Tracy (and as big a star he is), I watched him go out of his way to give autographs to two different quads at Long Beach. To me that speaks of character and class, something you will not convince SHE possesses.

 
At Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not, it's not OK. And I'm not saying that NO ONE cares about the crewmember. Geez. (Are you channeling Michelle Malkin or something...)

And I never said she had CLASS. In every sport, every profession, people act like total jerkwads in private. In racing, it seems more often than not the jerkwads (like Earnhardt, in reality) seem to also rise to the top.

But don't denigrate her for posing in Maxim. At least she didn't drive on heroin, like someone in NECKCAR did.

 
At Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

My problem isn't that she posed in Maxim, it's that people seem to think she can drive a race car and she's been given all sorts of breaks that other people (Sarah Fisher) haven't gotten, just because she's "cute." Well, to me, cute is as cute does and she will never be cute to me. But some people can't see beyond the cute and the hype, and judge the talent level fairly.

The Michelle Malkin comment was patently unfair.

 
At Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

And as much as I hated Dale Earnhardt, I don't see him blowing off two quads looking for an autograph, because he at least understood the value of good publicity. And while he probably loved his Intimidator nickname on the track, I'd bet he'd not gamble on the bad publicity doing something like that would bring.

 
At Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As it was, I didn't watch the 500, since I had gotten up late, I merely watched the DVR'd copy of the F1 Monaco race.

I was not happy with Kimi at all. Gah.

I think the Danica/marketing issue has been hashed enough here - to add my thoughts, well, I'm too sick (battling a sinus infection) and too tired right now.

Hope you (and the other commenters) are doing well out there.

Woof

 
At Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Ooooooo! You're in trouble now Kath... NBC's broadcasting the rest of the Stanley Cup so I'll get to watch.

You'd better prepare yourself for the Dead Wings losing right now. :P

 
At Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Wow... what a great game.

In all reality, if the Pens are going to win, they're going to need a lot of help from Detroit. This is the first game I've watched with both of them and I think Detroit simply has the Pens outclassed. I'll happily be proved wrong though... :P

 
At Thursday, 29 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - It was the first game my brother could watch...I haven't had the heart to tell him he can't watch anymore. ;-) I was planning on them losing one game in Pittsburgh...so they're still on schedule. I hope Saturday's game goes my way and not yours. ;-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home