Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Not Really Entry Worthy

I almost started an entry on Monday and then got side-tracked – with God knows what. I finally got my pictures from the two trips to CA uploaded to my computer, but sadly, not to flickr. Soon…or not.

I really need to update more often, because I don't remember where I left off. Did I tell you that my friends and I were in the May 5, 2008 issue of AutoWeek? Sadly, you can't buy AutoWeek at a magazine stand, but I do have a pdf of the page (which I can't find right now). If I remember, I'll include it with this post.



I'm a little annoyed with AutoWeek right now. TWO WEEKS ago, I ordered ten more copies of that issue (various people who don't subscribe need their own copies, you know) and I was told that I would receive them within 7-10 days. Yeah, still nothing. I called on Monday and the woman wouldn't do anything about it because she said Tuesday was the official date I ordered them. Whatever, it was still two weeks! They charged my debit card that day, so they're at least efficient there. The problem with that particular issue is that it was the same week The Bitch "won" her race, so I've had to glue a number of pages together in order not to see her every time I open my magazine. They arrived Wednesday, finally.

So, I called. I decided that instead of just bitching about it, I would call again. The woman I talked to today was a tad more helpful. She sounded aghast that I didn't have them yet and that I definitely should have. She's putting them in the mail today, so I hope to have them VERY SOON. I have packages to mail around the country and have been waiting for the magazines, so I don't have to make two trips to the post office. I hate going to the post office. The old people in my town (and there are lots) like to go, not during the day when other people are at work, but when we get out of work. The number of people who don't know how to mail a package is mind-boggling! I think the USPS gets an unfair rap. I mail a lot of stuff, not as much as some eBayers, but I go there fairly often and they're cheaper and faster than UPS. I can put a Netflix DVD in the mail on Monday and they'll have it in Lansing on Tuesday. Only once have I had a problem with them and that was when I mailed a book to my friend Rick in CT and used the book rate. It never got there, so NEVER EVER use book rate, it's worth the extra few dollars to mail it Priority. Just a little tip there for ya.

Grandma comes home today. I just talked to her and she told my aunt to come and get here at 11:00. My Aunt arrived from CA yesterday and will be here for a week or so. Then another aunt shows up, then the currently in Michigan aunt comes back in early June – in time for my niece's (her grand-niece's) high school graduation party. I'm pretty sure that by July Grandma will be more than ready for the aunts to go home and leave her the hell alone! I know I would be, as you get used to living alone and doing your own thing. Having people around can be darn annoying. Especially when they're your grown-up daughters who like to tell you what to do. I told Grandma that I had her back if she needed it against who try to tell her what to do. They had a real estate agent come through the condo last year and tell Grandma what needed to be done to make the condo saleable. I told Grandma she didn't have to do anything the woman said (take down the wallpaper and paint white, change this to that, etc.), and apparently, my uncle told Grandma the same thing. For heaven's sake, it's her house, let her have it the way she wants. Grandma told my uncle and me that she appreciates our support as "the girls" can be quite persuasive, i.e., willing to run rough shod over Grandma's wishes.

This past Saturday I had a bridal shower to attend – it was during the Wings' playoff game. I was pleased. I, of course, had been planning on them winning the bloody thing, but as we know they didn't. So, I didn't get to see the hockey game and I had to suffer through a bridal shower. Honestly, they are horrific. You know what? You're getting married? Just ask for the damn gift, don't make me waste 3-4 hours of a precious weekend standing or sitting around with a bunch of women eating chicken salad just for the privilege of giving somebody a present. I'd much rather send the gift and enjoy my day in peace. I feel the same way about baby showers, just for the record. The saving grace for this past Saturday's shower was that there were NO GAMES! Dear God, who invented bridal/baby shower games? Can they be shot? Strung up by their toenails? Waterboarded? Honestly.

I've managed to catch myself a sore throat. Not sure how this has happened, but I really don't feel all that fabulously. I took a two hour nap yesterday after work since I had a ticket to see Eddie Izzard last night and there was no way I was missing that. I contemplated taking the day off today and sleeping, but knew that would just mean I wouldn't sleep tonight, so I went to work and felt icky all day. I'm contemplating taking tomorrow off or Friday and resting. I have tickets to the Tigers game on Friday night, so I want to be well enough to attend that. I'm going with a friend from the Univ and she's a riot, and someone I don't get to see that often. Somebody at work offered me to tix to the Wings game on Saturday, but they weren't his to offer and the supplier who mentioned them to him is a creepy, in a "I'm so sexy women want me kind of way," but the sad truth is that he's not and women don't, so I said no. I don't want to be beholden to this guy for anything, not even Stanley Cup Finals tickets.

I think I need to gargle with salt water…and I think it's naptime.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At Thursday, 22 May, 2008, Blogger MJW said...

Kathleen: Who invented bridal/baby shower games? Can they be shot? Strung up by their toenails? Waterboarded? Honestly.

MW: Darn it! I just spent far too long answering this question incorrectly because I didn't see the word "games" in it until I had finished writing. What a waste of my totally priceless time! As Yosemite Sam would say...

 
At Thursday, 22 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Actually, I agree with you, I'm sure, re: the Bridal/Baby Shower inventor, as well. Because as one friend of mine pointed out, I'll never be on the receiving end of a bridal shower, so I'm never reaping the rewards of my attending all these horrible events.

 
At Thursday, 22 May, 2008, Blogger MJW said...

I'm glad you said that because I couldn't bear to throw my original comment away after working on it for so long. Here is my answer.

P.S. I'm also sort of glad that I misread your statement because I would never have thought to let Yosemite Sam speak for me in my first comment. ;-D

 
At Thursday, 22 May, 2008, Blogger Scott said...

I've also managed to get myself a cold, which if you were to observe me when I get one of these, totally turns back my clock by forty years. In other words, I'm such a baby. I can't stand it, and I feel angered to be so inconvenienced.

 
At Thursday, 22 May, 2008, Blogger Jorge said...

So many things to say...


I'm looking forward to seeing the .PDF. And hopefully the full story behind your appearance.

I know you don't care for the big winner that week, and I do find her personality off-putting, but she is the most attractive race car driver I can think of. Some of the Force girls are fairly cute, but they only race for 10 seconds at a time.

I think that one of the reasons that postage keeps going up is because UPS and FedEx both use USPS bulk rates for shipping. It's a money loser for everyone involved, but the USPS can't decline any package or letter on the basis of cost. So they lose money on a service their competitors mark up and I'm paying $.042 for a single stamp. They need to up the bulk rate.

My guess is that you're going to the post office next to the Kroger formerly known as Crowley’s. Mona was in there a little while ago and just about lost it. Super slow. The one on Ford near Telegraph is usually pretty good for me.

Am I the only person who likes the way post offices smell?

Glad to hear Grandma's home. In this real estate market I doubt there’s much that she can do to her condo to make it sell other than manipulating the price. I vote for no changes.

Bridal and baby showers- two of the best reasons for being a guy. I love not having to go. Mona hates them too, and skips as many as she can, but there's a few she can't get out of this year. Ha ha.

It's wrong for me to gloat, and I feel guilty about it, but it's fun too.

Feel better.

 
At Thursday, 22 May, 2008, Blogger fermicat said...

Hooray for Grandma!

I hate showers -- especially baby showers. After having a few miscarriages, the last thing I want to do is to sit around all afternoon watching a pregnant person open baby gifts. And at baby and bridal showers, why is it necessary to play those stupid "games" like we are stuck in the 1950s?!? I do like "stock the bar" showers, but only if the couple shares.

 
At Thursday, 22 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

MW - Commented at your blog. ;-)

Scott - I wish it were a cold, then I'd have a clue what was wrong with me. I have a sore throat and am tired. Stayed home today to get through this. Ah, you're a typical man, eh? ;-) I think they all turn into babies when they're sick.

Jorge - Yup, the post office near the old Crowley's. I can walk there, so driving to Ford Rd just isn't going to happen. I simply take a book with me. I might have to pdf it again. She's less attractive when I tell you all the stories I've collected over the years about her being a complete b*tch to a variety of less advantages people in this world. I'm pretty sure the Force girls have more talent in their little fingers than The B*tch has in her entire pre-pubescent body. Another reason to use the USPS... Mona's a smart woman...of course, all women hate the bloody things, but you have to go, or you're talked about and looked down upon, so we go and bitch.

 
At Thursday, 22 May, 2008, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

The Tigers are sick this year, so attending the game with a sore throat would be appropriate.

The Blog Police will be by any minute to pick you up for saying bad things about The Great Danica. And how 'bout them Wings?

 
At Friday, 23 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Fermi - I can't even imagine having to attend a baby shower after miscarrying. You poor thing.

Dr. - I never mentioned her name...I think I'll tell all the stories I've heard about her...I hope the 3 game sweep of Seattle was a sign of the times...and that the Wings kick serious Penguin butt!

 
At Friday, 23 May, 2008, Blogger LL said...

GO PENS!!! WIPE THE ICE WITH THE DEAD WINGS!!!

Did I ever mention I'm a Penguin fan from waaaaay back? Now if I was just able to actually watch the frelling games...

 
At Sunday, 25 May, 2008, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Grandma needs a stick for whacking aunts when they step out of line.

 
At Monday, 26 May, 2008, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

You know what really sucks about gender equality? Now men are expected to go to bridal showers too. Dammit! It's bad enough your gender has to suffer through them. Why us?

Heh. That should be a blog post in itself.

I've always given the USPS credit. It's excellent. As much as I'm against government, they do a great job at delivering mail. Seriously, screw UPS and Fed Ex. They're overpriced. I just do everything through USPS.

And speaking of old people, why do they have to shop on weekends? Come on, people, you don't work! So shop when non-old people are working, instead of the one time we have time to shop.

Drink a lot of water and OJ. And good luck with AutoWeek. Hopefully you'll get them soon.

 
At Monday, 26 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - Go Pens???? Oy vey! GO WINGS!!!

FWG - She has two walkers and a cane...she's just too nice to hit her daughters with the cane. ;-)

ZS - I think it's totally fair that men have to suffer nowadays through the bridal shower. I have two twenty-something guys at work getting married this summer and I'm insisting they go to the shower and they're bound and determined that they won't be going. I'm trying to get their fiancees' phone #s, so I can call them and tell them to make the boys attend the hell that we have to suffer more than freaking once!!! The AutoWeeks finally showed up, time to get to the post office.

 
At Tuesday, 27 May, 2008, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

I'll be looking forward to your report on the antics of The Great Danica at Indy this past weekend.

 
At Tuesday, 27 May, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Crap... not lookin' good for the flightless birds...

 
At Tuesday, 27 May, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

I didn't have a bridal shower or baby showers. It just seems like a lame ass way to get gifts.

Glad your grandma is doing well, but sorry to hear you're not.

Oh, I always use Media Mail. I save a ton with a good friend. (we trade books and movies)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home