Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grandma thinks it is Sunday

I talked to Grandma yesterday and today. She didn't sound very good yesterday, but she did sound much better today. She was telling me how if you're in pain and want painkillers, they ask you your name and birthdate to make sure you're you and then they give it to you. I'm thinking she's pretty looped today as she wasn't sure what tehy were giving her and she thought it was Sunday. Normally when I call her from work, she's anxious to get me off the phone so I don't get fired, but today I had to say, "I have to go, Grandma, the bossman called me and I need to see what he needs." three times, before she let me go.

I told her that she needs to make our trip to CA in April her recovery goal and she said, "Believe me, Kathleen, it is." She also told me that I don't need to come visit her, calling on the phone is enough. *eyes rolling* Then she told me how my Mom is coming too much and too often and is just exhausted. I simply said that my mom is too Catholic sometimes. Grandma told her she didn't have to come today, but Mom said, "You used to tell me what to do. Now I'm telling you." That mother of mine is BOSSY!!!

Of course, this whole hospital/rehab facility/Grandma falling business has me wondering what the heck we're all doing for Easter. The original plan was that we were going to her house after church for brunch. I was to go over on Saturday and set up the dining room table and whatever else needed doing, but I have a feeling that won't need to be done. I didn't ask her because I didn't want her to get upset with herself for falling and inconveniencing others (her viewpoint, not mine).

All in all, I thought she sounded pretty good today, so let's keep our fingers crossed that she stays that way! As always, thanks for all thoughts and prayers!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At Thursday, 20 March, 2008, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

Sounds like Grandma is going to be fine. I know when I was in the hospital I hated visitors, they mostly just reminded me that I was in the hospital and not doing what I'd rather do. Maybe, Grandma feels the same. Try to have a good Easter anyway, damn I didn't even make a new bonnet this year.

 
At Thursday, 20 March, 2008, Blogger Jorge said...

Glad to hear she sounds better. If you go visit her it might be a good idea to talk with the Nurses and tell them to help Grandma stay oriented. It will help her recover.

The first thing that happens when a patient cones out of anesthesia is a nurse telling them where they are and what time and day it is. It lessens anxiety and helps them get their feet under themselves so to speak.

The pain killers are fun for a while, but they can be disorienting. Asking the patients name and birthday is really more about making sure they're not too out of it. It they suspect you're too loopy they'll probably withhold the meds, check to make sure you're not getting another dose ahead of schedule and ask to have a physician reevaluate to make sure you're not going to end up with an accidental OD.

As she comes down off the heavy stuff she'll be a lot sharper, but that kind of goes without saying.

My bet is that by next week she's on nothing more than an occasional ibuprofen.

Anyway, glad to hear she's making strides in her recovery.

 
At Thursday, 20 March, 2008, Blogger fermicat said...

I hope Grandma continues to do well and recovers quickly. I don't envy her the rehab she will have to do. I am pulling for her!

 
At Friday, 21 March, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Erm... it isn't Sunday? Ummm... I mean... yeah. You keep her straight. *whistles innocently*

;)

 
At Sunday, 23 March, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Well... if Granny still thinks it's Sunday... she's almost in the clear! ;)

 
At Tuesday, 25 March, 2008, Blogger Heather said...

I suppose thinking it's Sunday isn't all too bad. She's lucky to have a granddaughter like you who cares so much for her. Hope she's doing better!!

 
At Wednesday, 26 March, 2008, Blogger Dave said...

Just popping in to see how your grandmother's recovery is coming along. I always worry about people when they don't update. :o/

 
At Monday, 31 March, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

Thanks for the update, Kathleen. I'm always hoping for the best for my favorite knitter and my family.

 
At Tuesday, 01 April, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Sal - I wore cords and purple Chucks to church - and got asked to take up the gifts. I demurred. Ask someone who dressed nicely for Easter!!! ;-)

Jorge - She has started writing down everything that happens in a given day in a book someone gave her. Says things like "Kathleen called. Peggy brought clothes." She's doing better, thanks.

Fermi - She's taking it one day at a time. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

LL - It wasn't Sunday at the time. ;-)

Heather - She has more visitors and phone calls than you can imagine. Everybody cares about my Grandma, and she doesn't understand why. *eyes rolling* Thank you.

Dave - I know, I'm sorry.

Beth - Thank you very much. I appreciate people checking in on my grandma's progress and my whereabouts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home