Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Grandma's out of surgery

Update #5 (I think or is it #4?):

Grandma's surgery apparently went well. They had trouble finding enough bone to work with as they put in a plate and a bunch of screws. Mom called at 6:00 to say that Grandma had been out of surgery for two hours, but she was still in recovery.

Grandma didn't get out of recovery until after 10:00 because the hospital didn't have a bed for her. She was in major pain - had two doses of morphine in Recovery and another two overnight. Her blood pressure was 190 over something. She finally settled down after the fourth dose of morphine. Nurse said the blood pressure came down today, but not by how much.

That's all I know for now, except that the hospital is supposedly releasing her tomorrow (we need to find a rehab facility that will take her), but I'm hoping the doctor keeps her a bit longer. She is 89 years old, for heaven's sake. I can see discharging a relatively healthy 35-year-old, but I think it would be nice if decisions were made on individual bases and not a template.

Thanks again to all who are praying for my cute little Grandma. She appreciates it. I told her on Saturday that my friends were praying for her.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, 19 March, 2008, Blogger Jason said...

Glad the surgery went well. Thank goodness for morphine!

 
At Wednesday, 19 March, 2008, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

I think I like morphine more than your Grandma does, lol. Glad to hear surgery went well and good luck with the rehab facility. It's great that she has all of you there to support her.

 
At Wednesday, 19 March, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

Gosh, I missed all this. I'm so sorry! I will pray for a nice speedy recovery.

 
At Wednesday, 19 March, 2008, Blogger Jorge said...

Don't worry too much about the blood pressure. It's only a response to pain, and as the pain diminishes so too will her BP.

If they couldn't find much bone that means it was a small fracture, so more good news there.

I agree that Doctors should manage recovery rather than insurance companies. Frankly, if it weren't for insurance company’s health care costs would not be so out of control. But that's a topic for another day.

There are lots of good rehab facilities out there. I'm willing to bet that once she settles in Grandma tells you it's like being at a spa most of the time.

Overall it sounds like pretty good news all around.

Glad to hear it.

And as always, all the best-

 
At Thursday, 20 March, 2008, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Quite the ride, isn't it? Worrying about those we love. Life is brief and health fragile for all of us.

I have one grandparent remaining of the six. Thanks for reminding me she's due a visit.

Best wishes to all that you love.

R

 
At Thursday, 20 March, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think knowing you are in the prayers/thoughts of people really helps. I honestly think that's part of what helped my mother rally again & again during her long battle with cancer. The doctors couldn't explain it. So here's wishing your grandmother the very best. I have faith.

 
At Thursday, 20 March, 2008, Blogger LL said...

At least you have some good news to report. Here's to a speedy recovery.

 
At Thursday, 20 March, 2008, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother's fall - I haven't been getting around much. I'm glad the surgery went well.

 
At Thursday, 20 March, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Jason & Sal - She's loving the painkillers.

Beth - Thank you! It is greatly appreciated. I hope all is well with you.

Jorge - Grandma does have some blood pressure issues, but I kept saying it was the pain. Good to know I wasn't talking out of my butt. I'm with you completely on the health care issue.

FWG - Grandma is the last of my six, as well. You're welcome for the reminder. Anytime!

LL - From your fingertips to the powers that be. She's made our trip to CA in April her recovery goal. She wants to be on that plane!

Doc - Besides, who is used to me updating so often? Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home