Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sorry, it's taken me so long...

Happy May, everybody. I'm finally back to the daily grind of earning my paycheck which is fun and exciting. The cats are happy as clams at high tide to see me. They will not leave me alone. I sat down on the couch Tuesday and thought I might write out a pattern for Beth only to have Boris in my lap in a millisecond. Now, I have to confess that if it had been Igor, I probably would have moved him to one side since he is ALWAYS in my lap. Boris, however, doesn't even attempt to sit on my lap that often, so I let him be. Of course, once Igor, who up to that moment was perfectly content sitting on the couch back behind my head, sees Boris on my lap, he decides he needs to be on my lap as well. Oy vey. I have to protect Boris then because Igor will push Boris completely off and just take over. I tell them all the time to share, but they are little brats when it comes to that. ;-) And Boris is usually the pushover, which is why I protect him.

I wrote out the pattern for Beth last night and sent it to her, so that's done! ;-)

As requested: A GRANDMA UPDATE

Grandma is doing really well. I can't remember what I last told you, but she decided to pay the $300 a day to stay at the rehab place, but then she wasn't having physical or occupational therapy, which I'm pretty sure was the reason she decided to stay there (as opposed to paying $170 for assisted living), but when I talked to her Tuesday she said that the doctor had given her another prescription for the therapy so she should have been back at it yesterday. The good news is that Tuesday she went all the way to the dining room (she's in the last room in the hallway, so it's a heckuva an accomplishment) using the walker. And I think she said she can get out of bed and use the walker all by herself, too! She has been sounding absolutely great for the last week or so. And she thinks she's going to be out of rehab in a couple of weeks. I'm assuming they're going to teach her in therapy how to negotiate stairs since her condo doesn't have a bedroom or full bathroom on the ground floor. I do know that my California/West Coast aunts (there are four of them) are planning on coming out in shifts to stay with her as they all have Family Leave once she gets out of rehab and is back home.

She's been making friends all over the place and is rarely in her room anymore as she's always off gallivanting somewhere (okay, usually the dining room, although last Monday the rehab place loaded up 10 wheelchair-bound oldsters and took them to the race track for some horse racing). From all accounts, everybody had fun. Grandma's a little bummed because her buddies Norma and Pat have gone home, and Norma was just a fun person. I quite liked her myself. She's the one who told us about Grandma refusing to bake in OT because she had seven kids and did her baking back in the day.

The vacations were mostly good. The first weekend away was hard. Even though I knew in my heart that it was my last race, it was harder saying good-bye to people than I had thought. All of us (C&C, Roadrunner, HRH and me) arrived Wednesday (C&C in the morning, the rest of around 8:30 p.m.). Thursday we headed up to LA to go to the Petersen Automotive Museum. I had been wanting to go there since it opened, but have only been to LA once since then and my brother wanted to go to Disneyland that time. Turns out that the Petersen is not nearly as extensive or fascinating as the National Automobile Museum in Reno, so we went through the whole thing in a matter of a couple of hours. I spent an entire at the car museum in Reno.

I did see some very cool cars, and if I would have downloaded my pics by now, you could see them, too. They have a Steve McQueen Jaguar in BRG – nice. They also have two Ford GTs – one of the original ones (technically a GT40) which had been owned by the classical conductor Herbert von Karajan and never driven in the rain – GORGEOUS. And one of the new ones, which is beautiful, but I'm a purist. The old one is just too sweet for words. And they also have a Bugatti Veyron. Holy cow! As HRH pointed out, it's really not a beautiful car, but hell, if you're a Top Gear fan, you know how cool and fast that sucker is. If you have no clue what I'm talking about, go to youtube and type in Top Gear and Bugatti. Bloody amazing!

C of C&C really wanted to get to the Hollywood sign so that was next on the agenda. I have been to LA a fair number of times and have never made the foray to the sign – although I did go to a concert at the Hollywood Bowl, so I did see it from there. This time, though, the goal was to get as close to the sign as we could. We got some cool pictures and then bailed, in an extremely unsuccessful effort to avoid LA rush hour traffic. I think it took us close to a year to get to the freaking freeway. And I have to say that the middle position of the back seat of a Magnum station wagon is not comfortable for HOURS at a time. My back was killing me!

We had to stop in Long Beach on our way back to Huntington Beach (as close as we could get to Long Beach, which wasn't bad considering we didn't even plan the trip until late February/early March) to pick copies of the Long Beach Press Telegram as they had coupons for free admission to the track on Friday. The ALMS guys were on track when we got there, so I got to flip the bird to the Penske Porsches, and the Andretti & Fernandez Acuras whenever they'd go past. It was mature and satisfying.

We ate at this restaurant called Island Burgers which was supposed to be fabulous. The burgers made from beef might have been, but their version of a veggie burger sucked. Why can't restaurants just have Boca burgers in the freezer and not waste their time (and my taste buds) creating their own veggie pattie? They almost always are horrible. HRH wanted a bite and I told her no, I didn't want that nastiness coloring her opinion of veggie burgers. Even sautéed mushrooms and swiss cheese couldn't hide how awful it was.

We wandered a bit around the race track, figuring out where we were and where our seats were. After that we just headed back to HB as we knew we had an early morning scheduled and a long day at the race track. When we got back to our hotel, though, C&C brought out a present for all of us. They had had t-shirts made expressing our feelings toward the "merger" and gave one to each of us and had a few left for some other racing friends we would see at the track. Pictures will be downloaded soon.

And I'll finish telling you all about my two trips to CA soon...I promise!!

Labels: , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

At Thursday, 01 May, 2008, Blogger fermicat said...

Very glad to hear that grandma is doing better. Hope that continues.

Looking forward to seeing those vacation pictures on Flickr.

Pet Boris for me. I also have a cat that I protect from the others. But she is 12 years older than the oldest other cat, and deserves a good "retirement". I won't let them walk all over her, even though they try (especially the young hellion, Silvio).

 
At Friday, 02 May, 2008, Blogger LL said...

Blogger ate my comment so...

Glad you're back.

Glad Grandma is doing well...

Still don't like blogger...

 
At Friday, 02 May, 2008, Blogger MJW said...

Katm6: Grandma's a little bummed because her buddies Norma and Pat have gone home, and Norma was just a fun person. I quite liked her myself.

MW: This might give you and Grandma an excuse to go on a few road trips together to visit Norma.

Katm6: Thursday we headed up to LA to go to the Petersen Automotive Museum... Turns out that the Petersen is not nearly as extensive or fascinating as the National Automobile Museum in Reno...

MW: Nor as extensive or as fascinating as the Pioneer Auto Show in Murdo, SD (ha). That's quite an impressive inventory for a tiny town in "the middle of nowhere."

Katm6: ...Their version of a veggie burger sucked. Why can't restaurants just have Boca burgers in the freezer and not waste their time (and my taste buds) creating their own veggie pattie? They almost always are horrible.

MW: That's because, contrary to political correctness, veggies were NEVER meant to be made to resemble a meat product! That's like "enlightened" cannibals forming their veggie dishes into the shape of the human body. What would be the point of doing that if they have supposedly become so enlightened? ;-)

 
At Saturday, 03 May, 2008, Blogger Heather said...

Glad that you're back and had a good time. Also glad to hear Grandma is doing well!!

I miss having kitties...although the dog is always happy to see me. :D

 
At Saturday, 03 May, 2008, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

Glad to hear you had a good time, and that Grandma is doing well. Rest in peace, Champ Car.

 
At Monday, 05 May, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

I can't believe how much seniors have to pay for care and extras. IT really is disgraceful, but I'm glad to hear your grandma is doing better though.

Kathleen, thank you so much for the pattern, but I never received it. lol I would have thanked you right away if I had. Yahoo is wonky a lot, so I just checked and your re-write was in my spam box. Ugh. Even though you're in my list of contacts, Yahoo put you in spam. I'm sorry about that, but so happy to have this pattern. Thank you!

Oh, and cheeseburgers are my favorite food ... even crappy ones. They're my crack. I haven't eaten veggie burgers in the past with all my own toppings, which were fine, but I need the meat. lol

 
At Monday, 05 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Fermi - Soon, I promise. I had to clean this weekend. The house was a mess! Boris appreciated the petting. Thanks.

LL - Thanks. It's good to be back. Grandma appreciates your glad tidings.

MW - Not sure a roadtrip to Norma is actually necessary. I don't think she lives far from Grandma. And that's why I like Boca burgers...soy all the way!

Heather - Sorry about the Avs...only for your sake, however. ;-)

Dr. - Thanks. I shall miss it terribly.

Beth - I'm so glad you found the pattern. I figured you couldn't have been on-line, because I know you would have thanked me. ;-) I hope it makes sense to you.

 
At Monday, 05 May, 2008, Blogger Scott said...

I love cheeseburgers too. In fact, my son and I are reading a book about that very subject right now, about the creation of the perfect cheeseburger.

I haven't been around in a while, but it sounds like your grandma has been going through some bad health issues. Thank goodness she is doing ok.

 
At Monday, 05 May, 2008, Blogger MJW said...

Katm6: And that's why I like Boca burgers...soy all the way!

MW: You are a master at the art of answering questions/statements without really answering them, Kathleen. You would make a wonderful 21st-century politician! LOL! ;-p

 
At Tuesday, 06 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

Scott - Never understood burgers w/o the cheese.

MW - I find it's the best way to answer your questions.

 
At Wednesday, 07 May, 2008, Blogger MJW said...

Kathleen: MW - I find it's the best way to answer your questions.

MW: Kathleen, that's what every politician who is backed into a proverbial corner says. ;-) HA!

 
At Wednesday, 07 May, 2008, Blogger Beth said...

I just thought you were busy ... and then it was sitting in Spam the whole time. lol I'm glad you know me well enough to know I would have thanked you right away.

 
At Thursday, 08 May, 2008, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Kathleen - I wrote this post for you. You asked me to tell the future.

Good thing Grandma's doing ok. My Grandma's almost 90 and still is doing great.

It's funny, you're talking about cars (of which I have no interest other than getting me from point A to point B) but you mentioned van Karajan. Dad had all 9 Beethoven symphonies conducted by him on record and I loved hearing him. I had Brahms' 4th conducted by him on record and loved it. Probably my favorite rendition of Brahms' 4th (one of my top 5 symphonies of all time).

 
At Friday, 09 May, 2008, Blogger Kathleen said...

MW - I'm hardly a politician...just a middle child who learned how to get along...mostly.

Beth - I hope it works out for you!

ZS - Hmmm, I have all of Beethoven's 9 symphonies done by somebody...now I wonder who. Nope, it was Josef Krips, not van Karajan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home