Thursday, August 23, 2007

Medical Update, Building C (for Crappy) & Weekend Plans

Quick medical update: I'm going to the PT route, at least, until Sept. 14 when I go back to the orthopedic surgeon. Zombieslayer suggested acupuncture which definitely sounds like an idea. I'll talk to Soyon, as she's the only person I know who has gone to an acupuncturist. I had contemplated acupuncture back in 2000 when I had the pinched nerve (before I knew it was a pinched nerve) and painkillers weren't working for me. Instead I went the surgery route and have never regretted it (except for the whole no roller coasters ever again advice from my neurosurgeon – I love Cedar Point *pout*), as I woke up in Recovery in zero pain. Brilliant!

I just talked to Grandma and she's frustrated that at 88 it's taking her longer to get back to full strength after losing however much blood she lost. She had been up for quite a while and had been busy doing stuff (don't ask me what as while I talked to her the cleaning ladies were arriving, but I'll bet she was cleaning before they got there), but she admitted that she gets shaky. She's really ticked off that she's not allowed to drive for two weeks. She's a tiny little independent woman and hates not being able to go where she wants to go and to rely on other people. I told her that I was going to stop by on Sunday after church and if she were up to it we'd go out for sushi. If she's not, we'll just hang at the house. She was amenable to that and really does appreciate all the prayers and thoughts you all are sending her way.

I talked to the LB (Little Brother) yesterday also. A week after his surgery he's still in a lot of pain and the Tylenol 3s aren't working sufficiently, so they'll be putting him on Vicodin. We talked Hitchcock movies which is always fun. I recommended a couple he hasn't seen yet (Shadow of a Doubt & I Confess). He was going to watch Strangers on a Train last night with my aunt who flew up to the Bay Area to take care of him while my other aunt is off at her son's graduation from basic training.

Building C (for Crappy) update: We are moving out! Woohoo!!! My official move date is Sept. 12, so I'm happy. This morning I noticed all the drinking fountains in the building now carry signs that say "Do not drink the water." with no explanation of why. I had decided quite some time ago that the water was suspect when the one drinking fountain I used had a big masking tape X blocking off the little nook it was in. Then the one I had started to use after that got pulled away from the wall (and is still sitting there about a foot from its normal location) about a month ago, and the one outside the ladies room I use (the other one has this highly disgusting smelly couch in it and I refuse to go in there) has never worked. I'm now upset with myself for giving in and getting water earlier this week. I have some water in the car from the Road America trip. I think I'll be bringing that in.

I was at Move meeting the other day and I heard that people were being moved into Building C (for Crappy) after we move out and I said, "I'll pray for them." The woman in charge of the building looked at me and asked, "Why?" I didn't answer. I'm pretty sure the only thing that should happen to this building is Implosion!

I had a lovely time in Baltimore and when I get my butt in gear I'll take a picture of my fabulous new purse to show you. Railroad bought it for me for my birthday, while we were out shopping in Hampden.

My plans for this weekend are fairly low-key. Margarita Party tonight at Marianne's. Sleeping in until noon tomorrow (okay, it'll probably only be 10:00, but I'd prefer noon), then a massage at 1:00 p.m. and a party with new people tomorrow night. And hopefully, sushi on Sunday with Grandma and Mom. I'm a party animal, or so you would think. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At Friday, 24 August, 2007, Blogger Beth said...

Let me know how the holistic stuff works for you. Both hubby and I have some back troubles.

Your grandmother sounds terrific, imo.

Still keeping everyone in my thoughts.

Enjoy those margaritas.

 
At Friday, 24 August, 2007, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

My experience with acupuncture was really good, had it to help my energy levels after my appendectomy. Stupidly I was surprised that being poked with needles was actually uncomfortable, didn't hurt but was a little uncomfortable. Good thing is you feel better when it's done and the discomfort goes away when the needles are removed.

 
At Friday, 24 August, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Beth - My Grandma is absolutely fabulous! Love that little woman more than just about everybody else in this world. Thanks. We still need it. I'm limiting myself to one margarita as I'm driving.

Sal - I need to talk to Soyon as acupuncturists aren't as common in Detroit as they are in SF. I've heard the same thing re: discomfort.

 
At Friday, 24 August, 2007, Blogger Scott said...

That's a low key weekend? You should try out a few of my weekends for size!

 
At Saturday, 25 August, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Shadow of a Doubt - one of my faves!

My Mom had good results w/acupuncture for arthritis. Hope it helps you, too!

It's got to be a good sign that your grandma is fussing about not driving and cleaning for the cleaners. What a woman! I hope I'm half as vital if I'm lucky enough to get to her age.

I'm keeping you all in my thoughts, too.

PS Can't wait to see the new purse!

 
At Saturday, 25 August, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

Your grandma is so cool.

Don't worry about those poor suckers who are moving into the Crappy Building after you leave. I'm just glad you're finally getting out. Hooray!

Enjoy your weekend downtime. I enjoyed a little too much last night and had a big hangover headache to nurse this morning. Slept 'til ten, and now I feel fine.

 
At Saturday, 25 August, 2007, Blogger LL said...

One Margarita? Shoot... what kind'a party is that? ;)

 
At Sunday, 26 August, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, hope the acupuncturist is good if you decide to go that route. It would suck to waste money for nothing. I'm just saying it worked for me, and I had a significant injury.

Post the purse and I'll show Mrs. Z. She likes purses.

 
At Sunday, 26 August, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

I can't wait to see the purse! I'm a purse addict. A couple years ago my parents bought me 6 purses for Christmas...it was wonderful.

Your Grandma sounds like my Dad - independent and ticked off that he's not allowed to walk at all and he can't go anywhere! He's so tired of sitting in the recliner watching Food Network!

 
At Monday, 27 August, 2007, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

How nice to have a grandma who will go for sushi. With mine it's pretty much just Swiss Chalet. Yeah. Swiss... Chalet...

Yum...

Wishing you both many more sushi outings.

 
At Monday, 27 August, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

Hey! I just got your comments about Stargate: Atlantis. I have to start watching that to see my Firefly alumni! :) Thanks for the heads up!!

 
At Monday, 27 August, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ms. Kat! It was so nice to meet you the other day! ;)

 
At Monday, 27 August, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Scott - It was pretty low key for me. For years now I've been saying that I'm getting too old for my lifestyle.

Suzy - Yup, me too. I love that movie, although I always call it Uncle Charlie. It takes me a few seconds to come up with the actual title. I love love love Joseph Cotten.

Fermi - She really is.

LL - Turned into a one-beer party. Margaritas never got made.

Zombie - Turns out Grandma saw an acupuncturist years ago. I might check him out if Soyon doesn't have a name for me.

Heather - I need to get that purse posted.

FWG - I doubt I could get Grandma into a Swiss Chalet, even if I wanted to go there. Grandma's very high class.

Barbara - Lovely to meet you as well. I asked Urs for your URL but she hasn't sent it yet. ;-(

 
At Tuesday, 28 August, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya,

WW do have a maintenance programme, it’s just that I can’t imagine not being on a diet any more, and staying the same is not about the same desire to keep on loosing weight that I’ve had for the last 4 and a half. It sounds really stupid. I reckon I’ll still keep on going, as I think if I don’t then I will put it back on slowly as I’m not being watched…

Thank you for the best wishes for the plans and stuff. I know it’s all very early and it’s gone on a huge back burner with having many house guests. It’s not like we’ve not got time to plan. Think we’ll probably look a bit more seriously when we get back from our holiday.

Hurrah for your building move though! Yeay!

xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home