Thursday, August 16, 2007

Medical Updates

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts, good vibes, prayers, etc. for my beloved Grandma. She went home yesterday and has admitted that perhaps she can't take care of her husband all by herself. She and his daughter were supposed to call hospice today to see what can be done. Grandma is 88 and has enough to do taking care of herself.

My Little Brother (LB) had surgery yesterday and I talked to him last night. He sounded rough, but after his girlfriend sent me a picture of him in his hospital bed, it made sense. He had some sort of bandage across his nose (he had surgery for his sleep apnea, dear God, could that boy snore). The doctors were going to evaluate him today to see when he could go home. He has a good support group out in CA, with his girlfriend, friends from work, my aunts, etc., so I think he should be okay.

I have decided to try Physical Therapy (PT) for my knee to start. The orthopedic surgeon thought that most of my pain was from an inflamed tendon - the big huge honkin' one that holds the kneecap (patella) in place, but I have to see him again in a month. The appt. took three hours this morning and they had that place air conditioned within an inch of my life. Bloody hell I was chilled to the bone!!! I had to turn my heater on when I got back to the office.

Thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for all your thoughts, prayers, etc. this week for my Grandma. I love her to pieces and won't know what to do with myself when she dies. I've told her that she's not allowed to die for at least another 20 years. She just laughs at me, "Oh Kathleen." Please continue to keep her in your prayers. I told her that my friends (I didn't go into the Internet part of it) were praying for her or sending her good vibes and she thought that was very nice. Although I think the part about people not believing in God threw her for a loop. ;-) She thinks she's a fallen away Catholic because she missed Mass on Sunday and yesterday (the Assumption, I believe) because she wasn't feeling well. She's just so darn cute, my Shortstuff.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At Thursday, 16 August, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

Glad to hear that things are OK. I understand how you feel about your grandma sticking around. We just had my grandfather's ("Big Daddy") 90th birthday party. I'd dearly love to give him a big hug at his 100th birthday party. I hope that will be possible.

 
At Thursday, 16 August, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Fermi - I hope you get to hug Big Daddy on his 100th.

 
At Thursday, 16 August, 2007, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

I'm glad your grandma's doing better. Now take care of your knee!

As for religion: I'm Methodist, but I don't push my religion on anybody online. I'm kinda hesitant to offer prayers online because a couple of times in earlier days when I did so that my prayers were neither wanted nor appreciated.

Down South, everybody believes, and everybody prays. To me, that's the biggest difference between living up North and down here. Back where I'm from, you could question various beliefs, you would encounter various faiths - even being an atheist was no big deal, as long as you weren't running for political office. But down here, if you don't believe that Christ died for your sins, you're an outcast. Religion here is as much a part of social identity as it is spirituality.

 
At Friday, 17 August, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with teh Doctor: don't neglect yourself because you're so busy worrying about everyone else. ~hugs~ Starting w/PT sounds like a good idea.

Will keep you & your family in my thoughts. This may sound crazy, but I honestly think that my mother kept recovering from her near-death experiences because of the many, many thoughts and prayers she received.

Love you!

 
At Friday, 17 August, 2007, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

Glad to hear everyone is doing better. It's gotta be tough to have to admit that you can't take care of your husband, I'll keep sending good thoughts and put her on my regular candle lighting list (yes, I have a list of people I light candles for). I really hope PT works for you. I know you're a strong person, but take sometime to pamper yourself.

 
At Friday, 17 August, 2007, Blogger Beth said...

I feel so bad to have miss the prayer round-up the first time around. Now I'm going to double up for you, woman. I will do my best!

 
At Tuesday, 21 August, 2007, Blogger mr. schprock said...

I've been out of the loop, so please accept my belated congratulations that your grandmother appears to be on the mend. She is exactly one year older than my dad, who totes along okay (knock on wood).

Good luck on the knee. I've had knee trouble in the past and it's not fun.

 
At Tuesday, 21 August, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Doc - I have atheist friends, and they don't offend me and I don't seem to offend them. I kind of believe in accepting people as they are.

Suzy - Yeah, I'll call for PT tomorrow. I've been busy celebrating the ol' b-day! ;-)

Sal - Grandma appreciates it. I told her that you were lighting candles for her. She's still weak, but at least the husband has moved to his daughter's so she only has to take care of herself.

Beth & Schprockie - I truly appreciate all prayers for Grandma and for my stupid knee. ;-)

 
At Tuesday, 21 August, 2007, Blogger Beth said...

I came back for updates, but have been keeping you and Grandma in my thoughts, Kathleen. Just wanted you to feel the love vibe.

 
At Tuesday, 21 August, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

I'm so glad to hear your Grandma's okay! I know what you mean about not wanting to lose them...my Grandma insists she's living to 100 (she's got 20 years to go) and I tell her that I'm holding her to that!!! Hope your LB is doing well, too!

 
At Wednesday, 22 August, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered acupuncture for your knee? I had both my knees torn in a bad football tackle and 9 months of acupuncture, they're 100% again. Definitely better than surgery in my case, but a really good surgeon can be miraculous as well. It depends on your situation.

I'll pray for your Grandma tonight. I got one Grandma left and love her to death. Speaking of which, I should write her a letter. :)

 
At Thursday, 23 August, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Beth - That's so sweet of you. I will update soon.

Heather - I tell my Grandma she's not allowed to die for at least 20 years. She just laughs at me. She's tired this week and not happy at all about not being allowed to drive.

Zombie - Thanks for the reminder. I need to call mine. I went to do it earlier but it was too early to call.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home