Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mannequin by Wire

I remembered yesterday that the very ultra cool Flumadiddle tagged me God only knows how long ago (ha ha ha) to list 8 facts about myself. I know that I did this not too long ago when Fermi tagged me, but I figured what the heck!

Now to come up with 8 new facts about me.

1) Although I went to 12 years of Catholic school and still go to church (although not every Sunday of late like I have been since returning from SF in 2000), I have great respect for other religions, specifically the religious beliefs of Tibet & Nepal (I have prayer flags hanging at my desk and in my apt.). I've studied many aspects of the beliefs of Aztecs, Mayas, Toltecs, and a number of other ancient Mesoamerican peoples and find them utterly fascinating and as worthy as my own (which is being led by a man who wants to take us back to the Dark Ages). I think the ancient Egyptians had the coolest of all gods and wear my Eye of Horus earrings regularly to ward of evil. When friends of mine are going through a particularly rough time and they ask me to pray for them, I will ask my Buddhist and Hindu friends to pray as well, and my agnostic/atheist friends to think good thoughts. I prefer the religions that are tolerant of others.

2) I'm a big ol' wuss when it comes to feats of accomplishments and cry like a baby. And I'm not talking about my own accomplishments because they are a rarity. I'm talking about the Colombian who went out on his own during Sunday's stage of Le Tour de France and made it! I had never heard of Mauricio Soler before last week and here I was crying because he had kicked serious butt in the Alps. I also cried the day before when My (yes, I’m very possessive of my favorite athletes/authors/etc.) Michael Rasmussen kicked some butt of his own and put himself in to the Yellow Jersey for the first time. I was over at Building A yesterday and ran into a guy I know who is also into the Tour and his first words to me were, "Well, I know you're happy with Michael in the yellow jersey." Just to show I'm not rooting for Michael just because he happens to be in the yellow jersey right now. I've a fan of his since he came into the Tour. The funny thing is that I can't really explain why I like some riders over others because for the longest time the only person they ever flippin' interviewed was Lance Armstrong, and occasionally, George Hincapie. I also cried when the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in 1997, 1998 & 2002. I cried when Katherine Legge walked out of the medical center after her horrifying accident last year at Road America. I cry at movies, even happy ones.

3) Although I can't stand NASCAR, I will confess to loving Mark Martin and it breaks my heart that he never won the Championship. He's NASCAR's version of Stirling Moss, although I don't think Mark will ever crash multi-million dollars worth of cars at historic events when he's not supposed to be racing.

4) I suffer from road rage – really bad road rage. The funny thing is that generally once I've reached my destination, I've forgotten it all and I'm my usual sunny self. People who drive under the speed limit make me see red. I do not understand this phenomenon as I have trouble driving the speed limit itself. Driving during the day (as I had to do this morning) is enough to make me want to shoot people. I despise people who drive slower than the speed limit and then as we approach the intersection and subsequent traffic light, the light turns yellow and the fucker in front of me sails through and I have to stop. Or people who brake at green lights *just in case* it turns yellow. The problem is that when the light does turn yellow, they still ALWAYS sail on through and I’m stuck sitting at a light I shouldn't be. I can see the appeal of a cow catcher on the front of the ol' Focus.

5) The older I get the more homebody-ish I get. I like staying home and I even like it when my phone doesn't ring. But then I'll hear that friends went out to a movie and I didn't get invited and I feel hurt. I'm not good at spontaneous either. If you call me at 7:00 to go out to dinner at 7:30, the answer will probably be no. One reason is that I have already eaten dinner. With getting up at 4:30, eating lunch at 11:00 and going to the gym for an hour, I usually eat by 5:00 unless I know I have plans. The thing is that I don’t think I really want to be a homebody. I want people to call me up and say, Hey, we're doing this. Do you want to go?

6) I have never ever wanted children. I knew when I was 12 that I didn't want kids. A friend of the family was staying in a local motel (they had sold their house, but their new house wasn't ready to move into yet) and they invited us up to the motel to go swimming. I couldn't go for the usual girl reason and I remember the lady saying, "Oh, I never have to worry about that anymore." I boggled at her and asked "Why?" "Oh, because I've had a hysterectomy." Now, I didn't have a clue what that was, but I turned to my mom and said, "Mom, I want a hysterectomy." My mom said, "Kathleen, you can't have a hysterectomy. If you have one, you can't have kids." "I don't want kids. I want a hysterectomy." 30 years later I have yet to change my mind about that one.

7) I am an inveterate people-watcher and a firm believer that if you leave the house thinking you look good, you are fair game for ridicule. Now, I don't ridicule people to their faces or anything so rude, but I will point you out to my companions. I do have rules. You can't make fun of things people can't change or over which they have no control, like harelips or other such things. Short fat people in horizontal stripes at a fashion show? Oh yeah, which I saw. If I think you looked in the mirror before you left the house and thought to yourself, "I look good." Then I reserve the right to say, "Uh, no you don't." Just, again, not to your face. If you wear this outfit in public, you totally deserve to be made fun of. If you wear white pants, heels and no underwear to the Cleveland Grand Prix, I will point you out to all of my friends and we will all roll our eyes at the sheer ridiculousness and inappropriateness of your outfit. I do draw the line at people who have obviously just run out of the house for a quick trip to the grocery store in their curlers or sweats, because they didn't look in the mirror (theoretically) and admire themselves. They probably made sure that nothing was hanging out that shouldn't and ran.

8) I love summer. I love warmth. I love sitting outside my house in the sun reading my book, knitting or even just napping. I love sitting outside at Cheli's having a beer with Martha whenever we can in the summer, because soon enough it's going to be winter and I'm going to be cranky and miserable and thinking about moving to Arizona where my knees won't hurt. I like driving with my windows down and my stereo cranked.

So, there you are. Eight new facts about me. I don’t feel like tagging anybody, but if you feel the need, go for it!!

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At Thursday, 19 July, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

I don't know what is worse: going commando with white pants on, or wearing the white pants with colored or patterned undies. I guess it depends on how thin the pants material is and on the person's natural hair color.

 
At Thursday, 19 July, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Fermi - White pants should never be worn to sporting events either sans or with undies. Of course, I never wear white pants...for heaven's sake, white is not a slimming color.

 
At Thursday, 19 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Protestant, but I like Viking Gods and the Greek Gods. Yeah, Egyptian Gods are pretty cool too. I like the Greek Gods because if they like you, you can throw a spear and completely miss the guy you threw the spear at, and they'll curve it for you and hit the guy. That might come in handy when the zombie plague starts (if they like you, that is).

Kids are a lot of work. We have one son and he's either a blast, or he drives me up the wall - one or another. People who say their kids are angels are liars.

That picture of that fashion victim was wrong, just wrong. She should have never left the house. Doesn't she have friends? Doesn't she have someone who cares about her? If I cared about her, I wouldn't have let her leave the house.

and I like Autumn best.

Oh, as for H.I.M, this is what I replied on my blog, just in case you didn't see it:

My favorite H.I.M album is Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights. It has four 10 dead zombie songs - In Joy and Sorrow, Pretending, Close to the Flame, and Love You Like I Do.

 
At Friday, 20 July, 2007, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Whats wrong with cow shpants? I kinda like them.

apedf if you do, apedf if you don't.

 
At Friday, 20 July, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Zombie - Yeah, I forgot include the Greeks. I adore Greek mythology - that was my first love. Thanks for the tips on H.I.M.

FWIG - Those are actually flowered pants. Sorry it was blurry, but I was trying to be surreptitious.

 
At Friday, 20 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soler's run was quite impressive - and his team, a wildcard, also won the stage yesterday. Very impressive for them.

Rasmussen has some problems with the Danish national team though (the first story here)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/jul07/jul20news2

Woof

 
At Friday, 20 July, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Woof - Yeah, just found out about the Rasmussen problem. What the bloody hell is wrong with the Danish cycling federation? I'm ready to slap them.

Robbi Hunter's win yesterday was most impressive.

 
At Saturday, 21 July, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

That was very fun to read. I, too, find that I like staying at home more than I like going out (unless it's to the movies)...and I don't follow the Tour de France...now I wish I did...:)

 
At Saturday, 21 July, 2007, Blogger Beth said...

You know, I don't think there's anything worse than people who don't want kids to have them. I've seen the aftermath of that and it's not pretty. I have great respect for those who know they don't want kids and just don't do it. I wanted to be a mother up until my daughter became a pre-teen. JK.

 
At Monday, 23 July, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree w/you on the kid thing (and can't wait for menopause)!

 
At Monday, 23 July, 2007, Blogger mr. schprock said...

But you do have kids, don't you? Boris and Igor (or something like that)?

The road rage one hits home with me. Good thing my car doesn't come equipped with photon torpedoes.

 
At Monday, 23 July, 2007, Blogger Kelly said...

Great post!

 
At Tuesday, 24 July, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Heather - You should check it out. I can even tell you who to like and root for. ;-)

Beth - I think there are way too many people out there who have kids w/o even thinking what it will entail and then realise they didn't actually want them, it was just society telling them they should want to have kids.

Schprockie - Boris & Igor are the only kind of kids I want - the four-legged furry feline variety. Fairly self-sufficient.

Kelly - Thanks.

 
At Tuesday, 24 July, 2007, Blogger Babs Gladhand said...

After reading your list, I think we might be cousins or something.

Of course, I'm playing the role of the bad apple cousin.

Thanks for playing along. Fabulous list!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home