Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A Small Victory

Today is the last day of winter and may I say that it couldn't come soon enough for me? I hate winter with a passion for so many reasons, namely I hate being cold. I hate having to bundle up to leave the house, I hate having to put on shoes, I hate the big coats you have to wear and then try to arrange yourself behind the steering wheel. Life is so much easier in the summer. You just shove your feet into sandals and run out the door (assuming you're fully dressed to start with, of course). I want to open my windows and feel fresh air blowing through the house. And since it appears the Muslims kicked the partying Mexicans out of the house next door, my summer will be quiet once again. I hope.

I have discovered something about myself since I got my iPod. I have a thing for male voices which sound extraordinarily alike – which I didn't really realise before. I have a lot of Peter Murphy, Joy Division, Nick Cave, Iggy Pop, Bauhaus, Billy Idol, Love & Rockets, The Stooges, Tones on Tail, etc. on my Nano and if it's a song I don't know particularly well (i.e., I haven't heard it a thousand times before), I discovered that a lot of times I had to look to see who it was. And this weekend I added two CDs by Voltaire and three from The Cruxshadows, so I just added to my obsession, which is all I can think to describe it. I never noticed that Peter Murphy and Nick Cave and Iggy really sounded all that much alike. And they don't always, but every so often there will be a song that makes me think, "Who is this?" And then kick myself because I should have known.

Friday and Monday I was eating my breakfast sandwich and trying to read The Picture of Dorian Gray (which I finished last night). Now, I take about 3 minutes to eat my breakfast, so it's not like I'm taking an overabundant amount of time or anything, but I want those three minutes for Oscar Wilde. Well, on Friday one of the supervisors stopped by my desk and just started chatting. WTH is up with that? Can he not see I’m reading a book and eating my breakfast? He said something, I answered and went back to my book, but he kept going, wanting to tell me a story about a dog or something. I turned back to him, apparently not hiding the look on my face which said "Can't you tell I'm reading my book?" although I didn't realise it. He said, "Oh, do you want me to go away so you can read your book?" "Yes." I mean, really, is 3 minutes too much to ask for some peace? And today? The YS called. Now, granted (or as one of the stupid secretaries would say, Granite), she couldn't know that I was eating my breakfast, as she's in Virginia and I'm in Michigan, but it did mean that I got about two paragraphs read. I thought if I got my breakfast right at 7:00 when the cafeteria opened, I wouldn't have to worry about someone interrupting because there's nobody freaking here at this hour. *sigh* I'm not even PMSing, so I have no idea why things are annoying me so badly, except that it happens all the time at work. I'm eating my lunch at my desk with my book and people just stop by and don't go away when they see I'm eating my lunch. If it's a quick question, I don't mind too much, but people who just stand there chatting while my lunch gets cold really piss me off. How rude!!!

I called the guy who moved us over to Building C(rappy) yesterday to find out when we're moving back and he said he wasn't sure because he talked to the move coordinator on Monday and found out that the guy has to find 80 desks for some other people. I told him that I need to get out of this building and sooner rather than later as it's making me sick (literally). He didn't know anything essentially, but I told him that I would be harassing him every single day until we move back to Bldg. A. He understands as he knows how crapping this building is. Then this morning the supervisor who interrupted my breakfast on Friday told me that supposedly we're moving back at the end of April. We shall see. I’m tired of not feeling well. I couldn't even do my full hour on the elliptical yesterday because I just couldn't breathe, and then I went to bed at 7:00 p.m. I was positive someone (namely my mother since she was traveling yesterday and she likes to call to tell me she's home) would call, so I put the phone on silent. Nobody called, but I know if I hadn't that damn thing would have rung and that would have pissed me off.

I leave Friday for Baltimore/DC/VA for the weekend. My good friend Railroad lives in Baltimore and I haven't seen her since her wedding (which she tells me was five and a half years ago – ARGH – where does the time go?), so I'm flying into BWI and RR is picking me up and I'm meeting her little boy and we're going to spend the night hanging out and catching up. I'm really looking forward to seeing her. Then Saturday she'll drive me into DC to meet up with the YS whose friend from PT school is also coming into town, so we're going to check out monuments. Saturday night is the SuperDiamond concert which is always a fun time. I don't come home until Sunday evening, but have no idea what Sunday has in store, other than getting PT school friend to the airport and then driving me back to BWI. BWI isn't ultra convenient to Alexandria, VA, but it worked for RR, and I simply refuse to fly into National now that it's named for a certain now dead President who was most definitely not one of the greatest presidents ever, regardless of what some Republicans will tell you. I just hope I feel well enough to enjoy the weekend!

A month or so ago, I told you about BlueMeany's blog and to go read it because she's so damn funny, remember? Anyway, she leaves today for her second deployment to Iraq (even though she was supposed to get out of the army in April) which is supposed to last about a year, so go over to her site and wish her well and keep her in your thoughts and prayers (if you're so inclined). Thanks.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At Tuesday, 20 March, 2007, Blogger fakies said...

I'm ready for winter to be over as well. Of course, in Nebraska it doesn't matter what the calendar says. We've gotten blizzards in May.

 
At Tuesday, 20 March, 2007, Blogger Beth said...

I love Oscar Wilde. I read your latest and last night I finished "The Importance of Being Ernest" (one of his plays). I love it. It's so short, takes about an hour or two to read.

 
At Tuesday, 20 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you probably should move to San Diego or something. Well, if there was a job out there for ya...

 
At Tuesday, 20 March, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

I'm so happy I moved back home to Atlanta, where winters are mercifully mild and short.

I've had similar problems during air travel with people not getting the blatant "not open to conversation" hint -- headphones and an open book. How dense can people be? I've had to feign sleep to shut some people up. I guess that wouldn't work on the job.

 
At Tuesday, 20 March, 2007, Blogger Babs Gladhand said...

I hate winter, too. And the winters here are mild compared to yours. I belong somewhere where the temperature doesn't drop below 60.

I'm sending good thoughts your way that you'll feel better and have a fun weekend.

 
At Tuesday, 20 March, 2007, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

You always eat at your desk and you always have the same problem. Thanks for reminding me that the weather sucks 'cos I was going to suggest you take your book outside. An hour on the elliptical! You are my hero, I thought my 40 minutes was good. My favorite Oscar Wilde line: "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

 
At Wednesday, 21 March, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Trina - And you just mentioned why reason I wouldn't live in NE!

Beth - Importance is my favorite Oscar Wilde. I've seen it at least twice at Stratford (ONT). LOVE IT!!

Smed - Tucson. I've been to San Diego in September and it was not warm enough for me.

Fermi - Atlanta's traffic is enough to keep me away. I've had the same trouble on airplanes, now that I knit, I don't care because I can knit and talk at the same time.

Fluma - Thanks, I'm excited about getting away, although I'd rather be lying on a beach in Mexico. ;-)

Sal - I know, but you'd think people would see you're eating and reading and go away! Old Oscar has some great lines.

 
At Friday, 23 March, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

I hate it when I'm in the breakroom reading and the cleaning guy comes in and wants to talk. I'll even answer him and keep reading and it doesn't phase him. Drives me bananas!!!!

I started wearing my headphones while I read thinking this would discourage him. Nope. He just talks louder. Argh!

 
At Friday, 23 March, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Heather - The cleaning guy must not be a reader. I work with engineers, and we all know they're not readers. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home