Thursday, March 15, 2007

To Hell With Poverty!

Two days ago I was contemplating wearing shorts and sandals (except my toenails weren't painted), today I was cleaning my little car of about 2" of really heavy wet snow. As we like to say, "Welcome to Michigan, if you don't like the weather, stick around ten minutes, it'll change." Today's weather is courtesy of Canada, supposedly, so thanks, Canada. I preferred the jet stream from the south.

I know I've bitched extensively about the new building where I work (it's only new to me as I'm pretty sure it was built long before I was born, but not in a cool early 1900s kind of way), but new bitching needs to be done. We all know that in December I moved from what I shall call Building A to Building C (for Crappy) and that I'm all annoyed because I now have to drive to work which entails cleaning snow off the car. I know that's a well established whining point. Well, since moving to Building C (for Crappy), I've watched the people who were residents here before us moving out in droves to…you guessed it…Building A. Now all along the powers that be have been reassuring us that we will be moving back to Building A, but I'm beginning to wonder if there will be any room left. Of course, everybody but us and Mr. Snorty across from me has moved out. Last week Mr. Snorty took his annoyingness to a new level – he clipped his nails – for at least ten minutes. I mean, Dear God, how long does it take to clip your friggin' nails??? And don't you do it at home? I will confess that when I break a nail at work I will file it so that it's not catching on all and sundry (namely my clothes), but it takes me mere seconds to take care of the problem. I had to get up and walk away from my desk after five minutes. When I got back, he was still at it. I would have bet money he had taken his shoes off and was clipping his toenails. I stopped by a co-worker's cube kitty corner to mine in the opposite direction than Mr. I-Don't-Know-How-To-Blow-My-Nose-I-Prefer-To-Suck-It-Back-Up-And-Gross-Out-My-Neighbors is and asked him whisperingly if the nail clipping was driving him crazy. "Oh yeah." I then asked if the sucking noise annoyed him and he said he hadn't noticed that. I, of course, being the sharing person that I am e-mailed him the next time Mr. I-Don't-Know-How-To-Blow-My-Nose-I-Prefer-To-Suck-It-Back-Up-And-Gross-Out-My-Neighbors did it and asked "How can you not hear that?" "Hear what?" Then a few moments later, a second response "Thanks for bringing that to my attention." I think he might have been annoyed. ;-)

I have taken to listening to my iPod at a really high volume because I just can't handle the noises anymore, and this week it's extra special because he has a cold, so it's more often and more disgusting. I want to go over there and slap him and tell him to go the bloody hell home, if I get sick again, I'm going to blow a gasket. A friend of mine thinks I get sick so often because of my apt. I think it's these bloody climate controlled buildings where you can't open a window and get fresh air and germs stick around in the duct work. My apt.'s so old that there is always fresh air coming in some crack.

I was really looking forward to the symphony last Friday – a number of my favorite composers, my favorite conductor, a good friend going through a rough time – but I ended up with the headache from hell. You know the type where any light at all makes your head hurt that much worse? I thought I could take a hot shower, a 30 minute nap, a vicodin and all would be good. I was wrong. After 45 minutes I called BST and asked "What are you doing tonight?" "I don’t know, I'm on the phone with Perl right now." "Oh good, because I was supposed to go to the symphony with Perl tonight and I have a migraine type headache and there's just no way I can go." After a couple of phone calls, it was all set, they stopped by to get the tickets and I went back to bed where I remained for almost 20 hours (4:20 to 12:15). I did get up briefly to call Ursamajor who had sinus headache pain reliever type medication, so I made my way downstairs (I'm so going to miss her when she moves out and into her new 1900-built house) for the promised drugs and then went promptly back to bed. The rest of the weekend was spent at siblings' houses for nieces and nephew birthday parties. I did get to see The Libertarian on Saturday night, though, so that was nice. We watched Hitchcock's Notorious and he made me dinner, although not in that order. He had dinner waiting for me when I got there from the first birthday party where they were serving Stouffer's Mac & Cheese and Lasagna for dinner. I don't eat lasagna, obviously, and I *hate* Stouffer's Mac & Cheese, so he held dinner for me. He even knew I would want a Guinness when I got there, so he had put a glass in the freezer. Too sweet.

This weekend the Formula 1 season starts in Australia and has been my custom for the past five years, I go over to my friend Dan's house and watch the race with him, so that's where I'll be Saturday night. Now that Der Chin has retired I can, I hope, properly enjoy the F1 season and even though my beloved Kimi Raikkonen has left McLaren (my favorite F1 team) to go to Ferrari, I hope he does well and that it's a good battle between him and Fernando Alonso for the entire season.

I'd talk hockey but I'm so disgusted that my beloved Red Wings picked up The Goon of All Goons, Todd Bertuzzi, at the trade deadline that I might not even watch the playoffs. Everybody tells me I should get over Bertuzzi's incredibly vicious, dirty, vile hit on Steve Moore three years ago, but I firmly believe that if you injure somebody to that degree you don't play until they can play again. And I'm sorry, but his "14-month" penalty doesn't count in my book when NOBODY played hockey for those 14 months. It was the lockout season. It's complete bullshit that Bettman let him back in the league at all, but he should have at least not been allowed to play the season after the lockout. He wasn't punished at all in my opinion.

Okay, I'm done with all that sports talk for now. Have a great weekend as I probably won't be updating before that!

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Thursday, 15 March, 2007, Blogger fakies said...

Thankfully, no one in our office does that kind of stuff. I would have to kill them.

 
At Thursday, 15 March, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Trina - I'm halfway there.

 
At Thursday, 15 March, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

I will never understand some business decisions. Why shuffle people around so much, especially if they were sincere about the move being temporary? This costs money and time, not to mention lower productivity.

Sorry to hear about your headache. I sympathize - I get migraines and had them three days in a row last week.

 
At Thursday, 15 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, vicodin.

And I am eternally thankful that my Mr. Snorty is at the other end of the hall...

 
At Thursday, 15 March, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Fermi - Oh, it was all about our window seats and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. I normally don't get headaches like that.

Loopy - Sadly, Vicodin does NOTHING for me. Dammit. I'd like my Mr. Snorty to be anywhere freaking else.

 
At Friday, 16 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicodin does nothing for me, either.

And I couldn't agree with you more about Todd Bertuzzi!

 
At Friday, 16 March, 2007, Blogger mr. schprock said...

The Bruins had a defensemen who took an unbelievably cheap shot at an opposing player puttng him in the hospital, and the whole city wanted to lynch the guy. Why is it that "playing fair" and "gamesmanship" don't mean the same thing?

 
At Monday, 19 March, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Suzy - I'm in a minority here in this City now that he's a Red Wing.

Schprockie - You talking McSorley?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home