Thursday, February 15, 2007

Big Shot

For Valentine's Day Loopy listed the first 10 songs that her iPod played that had the word Love in them. Well, I've been listening to my iPod since 6:00 a.m. (except for the 2 hours and 45 minutes I had to go to another building for a meeting) and my iPod has only played four songs that even came close to having that particular word in them and one of them I'm pretty sure doesn't count because "the word" is only implied in the title and another doesn't count because it's in the band's name. The first two songs were played yesterday. Anyway, this is what I have so far:

Let Me Love You – Peter Murphy
A Lover Sings – Billy Bragg
We Care A Lot – Faith No More (I obviously took massive liberties on this one)
The Purest Blue – Love & Rockets
Unlovable – The Smiths (probably not in keeping with the overall feeling of the assignment, but as you can see, I'm desperate)
Being In Love – Tijuana Strip Club
Welcome Tomorrow – Love & Rockets
No Big Deal – Love & Rockets (Thank God for Love & Rockets)

After I posted this yesterday, I waited for one last song before shutting down and heading to the gym and got

Such Unlikely Lovers - Elvis Costello with Burt Bacharach


That's it. Perhaps my iPod says something about me??? ;-)

Update on the work cafeteria: They have not ruined their streak of chili con carne yet. And last night I dreamt about the cafeteria at my old building, something I wouldn't have bet money on ever happening. When I tell people at work about it, they all look askance and say, "That's really sad, because it wasn't good."

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At Thursday, 15 February, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

That's funny - you'd think you'd get a lot more "love" songs - every song seems to mention it one way or another!

And I agree with you - Thank God for Love & Rockets!! :)

 
At Thursday, 15 February, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

Here's a similar experiment, only I used iTunes to shuffle our latest playlists. Here are the first ten "love" titled songs that came up:

Time Loves a Hero - Little Feat
Love Struck Baby - Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jungle Love - Steve Miller Band
Say You Love Me - Fleetwood Mac
Thing Called Love - Bonnie Raitt
That's Why People Fall in Love - Thomas Dolby
Keep on Loving You - REO Speedwagon
Imaginary Lover - Atlanta Rhythm Section
Love To Be Loved - Peter Gabriel
Let Me Love You Baby - Buddy Guy

I had to go pretty far down the shuffle list (like several hundred songs) to get ten. I would have had more luck with the word "heart", I think. Most titles seem to refer to love without actually calling it that.

 
At Thursday, 15 February, 2007, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

Thanks to your and your mixing I fell in love with a coin operated boy! Due to being a closeted Diana Ross fan, I have more songs with "love" in the title than I thought.

 
At Friday, 16 February, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Heather - I think it might say something me that my music doesn't include the word love very often. Although the last song of the day was Such Unlikely Lovers by Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach. I tried to come back in and update, but my POS computer was too busy being a POS to do so.

Fermi - I'd have more luck with iTunes on my laptop - lot more songs.

Sal - I LOVE that song too!!!

 
At Friday, 16 February, 2007, Blogger Ben O. said...

That's an interesting list there Kathleen.

I love The Smiths. I should have done this on my blog.

Ben O.

 
At Tuesday, 20 February, 2007, Blogger Scott said...

I would have thought the word would be more prevalent. Perhaps you are avoiding it subconsciously?

 
At Tuesday, 20 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I hate mushy songs, so I wonder if my iPod has *any* songs with "love" in them. I love that! :)

 
At Wednesday, 21 February, 2007, Blogger mr. schprock said...

Are all the rest of the songs Marilyn Manson?

 
At Thursday, 22 February, 2007, Blogger Jason said...

Apparently I only have 12 "Love" songs on my i-Pod. Here they are...
"Crazy Love"- Marianne Faithfull
"Dance Me to the End of Love"- Madeleine Peyroux
"Do You Love Me?"- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
"Hounds of Love"- Kate Bush
"La La Love You"- Pixies
"Love My Way"- Psychedelic Firs
"Love Will Tear Us Apart"- Joy Division
"Lovely Creature"- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
"No Love Lost"- Joy Division
"Sweet & Lovely"- Thelonius Monk Quartet with John Coltraine
"This is Not a Love Song"- PIL
"Train of Love"- The Pogues

 
At Thursday, 22 February, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Scott - No, I just seem to prefer bands that don't go in for a lot of mushy stuff.

Schprockie - No Marilyn Manson in my collection, but a whole lot of Joy Division, Ministry, Sisters of Mercy, etc.

Suzy - I had more than I had imagined.

Jason - You're missing a few Nick Cave "love" songs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home