Monday, February 12, 2007

Tale of Two Cities (this is funny as this is the book I'm reading right now)

I've been tagged yet again by the Heather.

I'm supposed to list 6 weird things about me, and then tag 6 other people. I'm sure I'm plenty weird, but I'm not sure I want to broadcast my weirdness to the blogging world.

1) I don't do this as much as I used to, but I've been known to "air-type." I can hear something that just makes my fingers want to type and so I will "type" in the air. I don't play the air guitar or the air drums, so this is my version, I guess.

2) I don't think this is all that weird, but Heather listed it, so I'm going to go with it. I believe in Reincarnation. I don't have any kick-ass examples of fortune-tellers telling me I was an elephant in a former life or anything, but I have such an affinity/love for Mexico/Aztecs and Ancient Egyptians that I like to think I was one in former lives. I think it explains it as well as anything.

3) I do things for my cats that I wouldn't do for me. Example: My doctor back in SF recommended I get a Hepa filter because I'm allergic to the kids. I never bothered (she also suggested I lock the kids out of my bedroom, but that was never going to happen, not in a million years.) because I didn't care that much. But the second the vet told me that Tikal was allergic to something in the house and that a filter might be a good idea, I bought one.

4) Another one Heather listed was a love of office supplies. Again, I don't think it's weird, but since I'm having trouble coming up with stuff, I'm stealing it as well. Along with swooning in the pen aisle at Staples, and having trouble making a decision (mostly because the ones I want are medium point and I'm a fine point girl all the way), I also have a thing for blank books. I have more than I'll ever need, but I'm always tempted to buy more. I particularly love gel pens. I also have black, dark purple and dark blue post-it notes which I never use since I have nobody at home for whom to leave notes. The cats aren't very good readers.

5) I never give up books (unless I absolutely hated it – waving Hi to The Red Tent which I couldn't get rid of fast enough), which means I'm in desperate need right now for more bookshelves. I do re-read books and sometimes more than twice. I've read every Dick Francis at least three times. They're nice, quick easy reads when I feel like reading something but don't want to get involved in something too deep. Or if I just got done reading something really deep. I'm pretty sure after I finished Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose I read every Dick Francis book I had as that book almost killed me.

6) I hate the grocery store and will do everything I can to avoid going there. Sadly, I've reached the point where I'm pretty sure I'll be heading there this week. Again, I'll go w/o food, but if the kids are out, I'll be at PetSmart faster than Superman or Batgirl on her kick-ass motorcycle.

Whew, done! I'm not going to tag anyone, but if you want to do it, go for it!

8 Comments:

At Monday, 12 February, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

None of that stuff sounds overly weird to me. Well... except air typing. That's kind of strange. ;-)

 
At Monday, 12 February, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

That's funny - we're so alike! I air-write, I love office supplies...maybe we were palace dancers together in Egypt :) and I can't get rid of books either! Collin had to build me bookshelves to help out my overflow! And kitties are worth it! Glad you got to do this one!

 
At Tuesday, 13 February, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Fermi - I was really searching for weird. Yeah, air-typing is weird, but I find I don't do it as often as I used to.

Heather - Kitties are definitely worth it.

 
At Tuesday, 13 February, 2007, Blogger mr. schprock said...

I read half of The Red Tent while stuck writing really long PDFs of files in my office. I still have it here with the bookmark in place, but the last time I picked it up must have been over a year ago. It more than held my interest, but I guess not enough to bring it home and finish it. Boy, Jacob had it made, all those women.

I think there should be a special plaid tent for men.

 
At Tuesday, 13 February, 2007, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Okay - you are so non-weird it isn't funny. Although air-typing is a concept I've never heard in my life so kudos on that.

I'll give this a go. Top 6 weird things 'bout me:

1. Hm. I don't think I'm ready to talk about weirdness item #1 in public just yet. That'll have to stay secret for the moment.

2. I guess would be a rather mild 'intimate' fetish that I think unnecessary to describe in detail...

3. I have almost no desire to be loved in the most traditional intimate sense. I am and have always been - by lovers, friends and family but any romantic fulfillment comes from my loving another - nurturing, protecting, providing for. I feel no desire for reciprocation. I frankly don't believe in reciprocal love. A kind of fathering complex I suppose. I grew up estranged from my own dad. Freud? You listening?

4. I'm literally the happiest person I've ever met. I feel so good about my life I'm prone to random bouts of non-specific euphoria. This is new - only the last 5 years. Before that I was stuck in a terrible rut - in terms of relationship, career and spirituality.

5. I'm a book-aholic. I buy them at a rate roughly 8 times faster than I can read them. Furthermore I can never give up on one no matter how terribly it's written. Once cracked I'm compelled to finish it. Sometimes I'll groan and curse out loud at its incompetence. I'll even whack the book against a desk or chair arm in frustration and hurl it across the room - only to pick it up again the next day and plow forth again. Ridiculous, no?

6. I often feel that our society is so blanketed by layers and layers of lies and 'spin' and myth and denial and facades that our whole world is a fiction and that I am so rare in being able to see through it all that I'm no different than the characters in the Matrix movies who had to choose the red or blue pill - to tackle the seemingly bizarre truth of humanity or to return to the illusion. I'm not exaggurating.

Boy - I really am weird.

 
At Wednesday, 14 February, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Schprockie - Once they got to Egypt, I was okay, it was all that Red Tent crap.

FWG - We should compare libraries one day.

 
At Wednesday, 14 February, 2007, Blogger Beth said...

The cat thing is mucho-weird, but you didn't list it. LOL I used to treat my first cat (Mr. Mojo) like my child until I finally had a child. Then he was just a cat.

I love office supplies too. Is that weird?

 
At Wednesday, 14 February, 2007, Blogger GoingLoopy said...

Office supplies are awesome. Particularly pens in fun colors (and I am with you on the fine point thing too).

And yeah. I re-read books at least once, and my bookshelves are all triple-stacked and I don't even wanna know how many are under the bed. I do try to purge periodically, though, because I have absolutely not one spot to put an additional bookcase.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home