Friday, March 30, 2007

The Mercy Seat

Posh Spice taken to task for going braless.

Another stolen survey from Kelly. Hey, it was about books! I can't resist books.

Bold the ones you've read, italicise the ones you might read, cross out the ones you won't, and underline the ones on your book shelf! (The strikethrough function didn't carry over for me, so the ones that are normal text should be crossed out.)

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger - although it is lent out at the moment
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J. K. Rowling
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Animal Farm: A Fairy Story - George Orwell
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen - I realise that this is a classic and I should read it, but I'm not sure 19thC Victorian novels are my thing.
1984 - George Orwell
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J. K. Rowling
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel García Márquez
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden - I have zero interest in this book.
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold - My friend Suzy recommended this book to me years ago, but I just never got that far. I just read a review at amazon.com and I have to say that I wish I had read it before this.
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut - I was supposed to read this in tenth grade, but some parents pitched a fit and it got taken off the list. The funny thing is that the year before my sister had the same class and read the book no problem. I think I'd like to know whose parents were the troublemakers.
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson – It's 1200 pages?????!!!!
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte – I remember trying to read this in high school for fun and just not getting past five pages. I probably should try it again, but we shall see.
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C. S. Lewis
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell A reviewer said this was essentially short stories and since I can't stand short stories…)
The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë - Even though I know this is from that era of English literature which I normally avoid, after reading The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, I've been tempted to read this.
Good Omens - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman
Atonement - Ian McEwan
The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
Dune - Frank Herbert

Labels:

10 Comments:

At Friday, 30 March, 2007, Blogger Kelly said...

Cool! I am hoping to read some of those this year especially Lovely Bones.

 
At Friday, 30 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely Bones was good...I liked. 100 Years of Solitude - I tried but holy shit that was boring. Should I post this list (which, being the book dork I am, I may have to)...that would would be both underlined and crossed through. The only other strikethroughs would have to be the Tolkien. Lynch me all you like, LOTR fans, but I just couldn't get into them.

 
At Friday, 30 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FWIW, books you haven't read that I'd make a point to read [sadly, I think you're striking these out]

The Hitchhiker's Guide... solidly funny stuff. 42, indeed.

Neuromancer: okay, since you aren't in sci-fi, this might be a tough one, but this is worth your time.

Cryptonomicon: Pages irrelevant, only story relevant. For something smaller and totally different, read "The Big U". Supposedly the Baroque Cycle books are good, but I haven't read those.

And no LOTR books? for shame. ;-)

FWIW, what did you think of the Gabriel Garcia Marquez book?

 
At Friday, 30 March, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Myutopia - Yeah, Lovely Bones intrigues me.

Loopy - I'm so with you on the LOTR and anything even remotely related!

Woof - Hey!!! Where have you been? You coming to Cleveland? My brother loved Hitchhiker's, but I just don't know. If you noticed I essentially crossed off the Sci-Fi books. I might have started watching select sci-fi shows, but I'm not going to read it!!! It was hard to get through, but I'm glad I read it. I've read a bunch of his other stuff which was much easier to read.

 
At Friday, 30 March, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

You have some good books in your "won't read" list...

Hitchhiker's Guide is hilarious, wacky fun.

Hobbit and LOTR are very enjoyable reads.

I couldn't stop reading Dune once I started, and

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and the entire Narnia series was a childhood favorite, which I re-read a couple of years ago. I can't praise these books enough. Loved em. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my favorite.

As for your "might reads", Lovely Bones and Time Traveler's Wife are both great choices.

 
At Saturday, 31 March, 2007, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

What!

You haven't and won't read the Hobbit or LOTR! I'm shocked and horrified anhd have only one thing to say to you: Shame shame shame shame shame!

Oh - and one more thing - Shame!
;)
A toast to Hobbits and ibtuos...

 
At Monday, 02 April, 2007, Blogger Scott said...

I'm listening to Angels and Demons on audio CD. I'm liking it a lot.

I think you should try Hitchhikers Guide though. Minimum investment and funny as hell. The Hobbit is easy and enjoyable as well. You never know.

 
At Monday, 02 April, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Dear friends - there is absolutely not a snowball's chance in hell of me reading LOTR or The Hobbit. You'll all have to learn to deal with it. It's just not going to happen.

Hitchhiker's *might* get read, if someone gives me a copy and nothing else interests me at the time (whatever time that may be). But I don't see me going out of my way to read it.

 
At Monday, 02 April, 2007, Blogger LL said...

Hitchhiker's Guide is like cotton candy for the brain.

 
At Tuesday, 03 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathleen, read the Hitchhikers Guide. That's all there is to it. And "don't panic".

I'm not 100% sure on Cleveland right now. If P was planning to still drive up, I might consider that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home