Monday, October 09, 2006

Beat It

Can I get a GO TIGERS!!! from my dear readers? How freaking awesome were my Tigers this weekend taking care of the hated, despised, much vaunted, but in the end pathetic New York Yankees? You're welcome, Boston! ;-) I watched Thursday's game out of the corner of my eye at the gym since all the dipshits who didn't give a damn about My Tigers three months ago had their butts planted on the elliptical machines in front of ESPN. DAMMIT. Friday I was out with Martha for her birthday and thankfully the restaurant had the game on the TV (although during the innings of Ernie Harwell in the booth I was stuck listening to crap jazz from two guys – one of whom played a keyboard guitar thing) and I was able to watch Kenny Rogers teach the Yankees a lesson. He definitely had his game face on. I got to see Pudge Rodriguez pound the ground after his safe slide into 3rd. Oh, they were pumped for this game! I got to see Joel Zumaya's fastball scaring the big bad Yankee hitters. Ha ha! And then Todd Jones came in for the save. Oh, it was a sweet sweet night for the Tigers faithful (and bandwagoners).

The fact that we got to relive it the next afternoon just totally kicked butt. Jeremy Bonderman was channeling Kenny Rogers from the night before and even had a perfect game going into the sixth inning. He struck out Gary Sheffield twice on the same freaking pitch! It was so cool. I thought they were showing a replay of the first strikeout, the ball positioning was so perfect. My Brandon finally got a hit (thank God we rely on him for his fielding and not his bat). I watched Sean Casey score from 2nd and he looked like he was going to have a heart attack, but he was bound and determined to score, you could tell from the look on his face. What a lovely trade deadline addition he was to the team!

All season long, on TV and at the ballpark, "they" have been asking "Who's Your Tiger?" By the end of the season I realised that They're All My Tigers. Just watch a game with me, and you'll hear the following words come out of my mouth, "Ah, Maggs, I love Maggs." "Ah, Pudge. I love Pudge." "Kenny? I love Kenny." Etc. Name a Tiger and I pretty much love him. Well, I haven't exactly warmed up to Omar Infante yet, but it would help if he got rid of his Merengue "walk-up" music. He's had it for two years now and I'm pretty much over it. Hell, I was over it last year. The last game I went to (two weeks ago – and the last regular season game they won), Omar wasn't in the line-up, but I heard his music and said, "Oh no, what's Omar doing batting?" I knew without an announcement or looking up that he was coming into the game. I lived through it, but it was painful.

Now it's on to Oakland and the A's. Normally I like the A's (from having lived in SF and hating the Giants), but I shall not be rooting for them. In fact, I need a four-game sweep because I leave Friday for Vegas and on Sunday (i.e., Game 5) I'll be driving to the Grand Canyon with HRH and my Little Brother. And being that it's a bit of the middle of nowhere, I'm thinking we might not get ESPN radio. Therefore, a little note to My Detroit Tigers – SWEEP, BOYS!!!

9 Comments:

At Monday, 09 October, 2006, Blogger LL said...

You're welcome Kathleen. "For what?" you may be asking... well... I only watched one game of the series and that was the first when Detwah lost. Then I missed the second, and they won, so I purposely didn't watch the other two...

 
At Tuesday, 10 October, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

Go Tigers! Go away Lions!

 
At Tuesday, 10 October, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Thank you most sincerely, Lord Loser! I appreciate your sacrifice.

Jason - Poor Lions.

 
At Tuesday, 10 October, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

I don't have any secure teams in baseball -- meaning favorites. I'm from NY so could say I'm a Yankees fan, but I'd just be lying. I don't even know who's on the team. I'd like to see a live game though!

 
At Tuesday, 10 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see the Yankees lose, and the Tigers step up.

Now if I can get my blasted TiVo situated (I shouldn't complain, I have two, but what else would I have to rant about).

Oh yeah, I'm sorta blogging a bit now. My name should be a link to the Windows Live area. Not very much yet, but well, small steps.

 
At Tuesday, 10 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I watched all the games & was so happy!

GO TIGERS!

And yay for REAL fans like Kathleen!

 
At Wednesday, 11 October, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Go Tigers!! I don't really watch baseball (don't hit me!) but I know I'm tired of hearing about the Yankees! So, I'll root for your team for you! :)

 
At Wednesday, 11 October, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

Go Tigers! Thanks for knocking off those pampered, overpayed babies. I love it that money can't buy everything.

As for that book you were talking about on my blog, that would be cool to know what the book was, but right now I'm not even thinking about publishing it, other than dreaming about its eventual future. I still have to write it. When I have the rough draft in hand, then I'll take it serious. I just know I have a winner in mind.

 
At Wednesday, 11 October, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Beth - You are not obligated to root for the Yankees just because you're in New York. The Mets are perfectly acceptable as an alternative. ;-)

Woof - I'll have to check your blog out.

Suzy - Woohoo! They pulled off Game 1!

Heather - I'd never hit anybody for not watching baseball. Heck, Suzy (see above) used to hate sports, then she went to a game and now she's a sports crazy woman! ;-)

Scott - Exactly! I hear the networks want the Yankees in it, but I know that I don't watch when they're in it because I hate them so badly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home