Friday, April 21, 2006

Original Sin

Hockey playoffs start tonight!!! I'm hoping that these playoffs will help me get back into hockey (damn lockout). Two years ago I barely missed a single game of the Wings, but this year? I can count on my two hands how many games I watched and three of those I was at the game! Here in Detroit the only thing that matters is the Stanley Cup. Stevie Y (our most beloved captain, he's been a Red Wing for 23 years and Captain for 20) taught this city that the trophy for winning the Western Conference means nothing. He never picks it up when the team wins it. He cares only for one trophy and that's the Stanley Cup. What this city wants more than anything is for the Wings to bring Stanley back to Detroit so that Stevie can retire on top. It hasn't been announced that he's retiring, but I can't believe there's anybody in this city or who follows hockey who doesn't think it's going to happen. Next year the Wings will have to pick a new captain and trust me, it's a big question as to who it will be, who deserves it, who would be the best, etc.

Here is an assessment of the first round match-ups from Scotty Bowman. Scotty was the coach of the Red Wings for the Stanley Cup winning years and he's a helluva hockey mind. After our last ignominious exit from the playoffs in round 2, I'm a little nervous about the playoffs. I'm loving our new coach, Mike Babcock. He's no Scotty, but he's infinitely better than Dave Lewis (who is a great assistant/associate coach), and somehow Mike Babcock figured out a way to get that slacker Shanahan to start skating again and digging for pucks in the corner. I was ticked over the summer that we let Darren McCarty go but kept Shanahan even though he floated the previous two seasons. As one of my friends described him, "He finally put down his purse to play." I'm still no fan of Shanny's, but if he continues to go into the corners and play as if he cared, I'll kiss Mike Babcock. ;-)

So, everybody, let me know who you think will make it out of the first rounds and if you're so inclined who you think will win or, if you'd rather, want to win or both!

8 Comments:

At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Clarity25 said...

Hey Kathleen, I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that nothing you wrote offended me in any way. You were honest and to the point. Plus we are good friends and you can put it to me straight. My sentiments are very similar and I'm frustrated with my brother. Believe me.

I just wanted to clear that up:). I hope you're having a good weekend. Thanks for your Happy Anniversary greetings!

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was all geared up for Friday's game, yelling and screaming at the TV, and then they have two overtimes? The stress involved with it!
I also heard on the radio that some twit said "piston fans are more relaxed during playoffs, and red wings fans are more stressed at the game." The guy is definently NOT a wings fan. He doesn't understand.

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from Nepean, Steve Yzerman's hometown. In fact, I actually played road hockey against him once when we were both... well, let's say a "little younger." This was while he was playing with the Nepean Raiders, long before his NHL career. I didn't know him at all, he showed up to our pickup game as a friend-of-a-friend addition. By the end of the game I knew him well, though: He was the guy who glued the tennis ball to his stick and never, ever lost it. I wish he'd been on my team!

As a result, I've always been a closet Detroit fan. But Nepean is now part of Ottawa, so I've got to cheer for the Senators in the playoffs. Go Sens Go!

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

I can't be of much help here. Although I would love to play hockey, I never watch it. Football is emotionally draining enough to last thoughout the year. Good luck to your team. I'm behind wings now.

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Clarity - I thought as much but got paranoid. ;-)

Sandie - I hate the stress of sudden death OT but prefer that to losing in friggin' regulation!

Scott - Thanks! The Wings need all the help they can get since the Oilers are playing the dreaded neutral zone trap.

Dreadmouse - You can root for both teams - I have for years. Of course, this year it's hard to root for Ottawa since you have Hasek on your team - after he screwed the Wings he lost all goodwill in this town. Still, if it can't be the Wings, I'm rooting for the Sens. Everybody who has ever met Stevie Y has only good things to say about him.

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ottawa and Calgary in the finals!

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, since I happen to be close to Raleigh, I have to root for Carolina, if I'm forced to root for anyone.

That being said, I didn't like the NHL playoffs since everyone practically made it into them, but I think the actual games during the playoffs are better, a lot better than say, the NBA postseason, until the end.

 
At Monday, 24 April, 2006, Blogger Glen said...

As we discussed at dinner the other night:

NJ over NYR
Buff over Phil.
Sens over Bolts

But, I never thought the Habs would steal 2 in Raleigh, shocking since they sleepwalked through the season. I had the Canes winning, we shall see.

Wings over Oilers
Flames over Ducks
I called Colorado as having a good chance for an upset, we'll see!
I still think the Sharks will take the Preds in a mild upset.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home