Wednesday, May 03, 2006

No Name No Slogan

I have been wanting to wear a skirt to work for quite some time now (ever since it stopped being freezing butt cold), but where I work is chock full of men who act like they've never seen a woman before. It drives me crazy. I'm tired of my wardrobe. I look in my closet every morning and just think "Blech. I've worn all this stuff a million time." That's why I've been wanting to wear a skirt – just something different – but then men here can't let it go. I've worn skirts in the past (it's probably been two years) and it was just a bit uncomfortable. First, things are said and then there's the leering. And I think that going to HR is the equivalent of making a mountain of a molehill. No reason to get anyone in trouble when they're not really being threatening or anything. They just didn't get the fratboyness out in college. That's what I get for working with a bunch of engineers.

As soon as my co-worker remembers to pass along the pics she took when we went to the Zoo, I'll post all about my visit to the Detroit Zoo back on Easter Monday.

I've been culling (1st or 2nd definition) my CD collection for the past month or so trying to pick the perfect songs for a mixed CD. Smed had sent me three mixed CDs a few months back and I want to return the favor, as best I can, considering his CD collection seems to rival your local Virgin record store. I also received two from Loopy, so she's going to get one too. It's just taking me a lifetime to figure out which songs to include, although I've decided that there's going to be two CDs – one with ANGRY songs and the other with Mellow or at least not ANGRY songs. Once I figure out the songs GtG has said he'll help me burn them to CDs, as I'm absolutely positive that my POS computer is completely incapable of something so high tech. The good thing is that this is making me go through my CDs and give a listen to some I have ignored in recent memory.

This afternoon I'm going shoe shopping with the YS. She has a wedding this weekend and needs shoes. Besides dress shoes, we're going to find the New Balance store so I can get some new workout shoes. The additional 1/8" or ΒΌ" inch of height added to my right orthotic has made it feel like I'm walking out of all my shoes, except my High-Top Chucks, of course. Even I know, however, that Chucks aren't exactly the best shoes for exercising, so I give in and wear regular tennis shoes when I work out. I was checking out the New Balance website and it reminded me that I can't stand WHITE tennis shoes which makes buying new ones really hard because 95% of tennis shoes are white. (For the record, yes, I'm old, I still call them tennis shoes.) After shoe shopping, we might do a little clothes shopping, if we have time, because we're going for sushi!!! Yummy!

I'm copying Mr. Schprock in trying to write shorter, more frequent posts. He's trying three paragraphs and he's done. I think that's a good idea, so I'm going to attempt it myself.

Oh yeah, and to answer my buddy, Dave from the comments from yesterday. A few months ago I got tired of trying to come up with descriptive titles for my posts, so I decided I would just use the title of whatever song I'm listening to at the moment. Yesterday I happened to be listening to my Gangster Fun CD. GF was a Detroit ska band back in the 90s and I loved them! The last song on their CD was called Fat Lady Skank and that's just what happened to be on when I posted. The song that was playing as I was about to post this entry was called Hey Asshole, so I thought I'd take a little longer, explain the entry titles and get to use something else, as that might be a tad offensive to some people. Actually, now that I look at the title of the song presently playing I'm not sure it's any better (Rubber Glove Seduction). Yikers. That's what I get for listening to Ministry's Side Trax

8 Comments:

At Wednesday, 03 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three paragraphs??? That's just my warmup! Hah. Anyway, WOOOT! on the CDs! Can't wait, can't wait! Ok, so I'm a greedy music guy....

 
At Wednesday, 03 May, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

LOLOLOLOL!!!!

That's me laughing my head off at your decision to wait for the next song on the CD before starting your diary post. :-D

If you hadn't waited, the title certainly would have sent a message that none of us would have been able to decipher. Some of us would probably have been thinking, "Which one of us is up [expletive] creek now?" LOL again.

As for your POS computer at home, what on earth are you waiting for? Life is miserable enough without waiting for retirement before making life a bit easier. Trash that thing and replace it with you know what. You will quickly realize that you have been frustrating yourself all this time for no good reason.

 
At Wednesday, 03 May, 2006, Blogger Beth said...

I'm all in favor for three paragraphs. I always feel like some of mine are way too long and then I look and they're about a quarter of the size of other blogs so I go, "Hmmm, am I not being wordy enough?" LOL

Oh, the skirt thing vs. the men. That's just whack!

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I love making mix cd's - I have so many burned cd's I had to buy a giant tower for them!!

And I love the idea of whatever song you're listening to be the title. So cool! I may have to do that but it would be whatever song is stuck in my head - I usually post from work where I have no music. If I had to take the song in my head right now, it would be The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. ???

That dream you commented about on my site was crazy!!! :)

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Smed - Usually mine too, but you post every day and I've been a serious slacker.

MW - I'm close...but I also want a digital camera so I can bore people with pictures of my cats and an iPod/MP3 player.

Beth - Depending on my mood I like short & long posts. I'm always appalled at how long some of mine turn out to be.

Heather - Just another reason to get a new computer so I can make compilation CDs for myself like I used to make tapes. You could also pick the song you last heard on the radio on your way into work.

 
At Thursday, 04 May, 2006, Blogger MJW said...

I have had the best luck with Nikon digital cameras, both when I worked at the school and on my own. Canon digitals are also equally as goood, and some might even say better than Nikon. I cannot say because I've only see photos taken with a Canon on Flickr (gorgeous, I might add) and have never taken any myself. You have seen how well my own Nikon CoolPix 4300 works -- via my Flickr account (which I need to update).

Just be sure to avoid Sony digital cameras. My experience with two of them has been less than positive. Colors and quality both suffer.

Here are a couple of comparison reviews:

MacWorld Digital Cameras

PC Mag Recent Product Reviews

 
At Friday, 05 May, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

OK, this title I got! Acid Horse. Very cool. I have that on vinyl and now that I've copied all of my CDs to my iPod, I'm going to start re-recording my vinyl onto my computer so I can put all of them on the iPod too. That means digging out my cases of vinyl, locating my turntable in the basement (somewhere) and hooking everything up again. Polderbits software is amazing for ripping vinyl or tapes or anything with sound!

Of course, if that asshat computer shop hadn't wiped out all of my music files I wouldn't have to go through all this work again, but whatchamagunnado?

I love the fact that I never need to make mixed CDs again. I have my little FM transmitter on the iPod so I can play my whole collection anywhere I go...in the car, at work, in The Squeeze's truck. It's amazing stuff. Just set it to shuffle the songs and it does its thing. The 60GB model holds up to 15,000 songs, and you can even store video and photos on it. It's amazing...have I said that already?(Kathleen, have I sold you on it yet???)

(Note: I am not an employee of Apple, nor do I stand to benefit from any sales of iPods) ;o)

 
At Saturday, 06 May, 2006, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

First, I had to tell you I still have the skirt you gave me before you left San Francisco. You've always had a fabulous sense of style. Second, what else do you call tennis shoes? Please clue me in I must be old too. And Third, I love all the links, I'm a link fanatic myself. Oh yeah, hey at TechTV I was an engineer, oh, now that I think about it, I see your point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home