Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Handsome Devil

There is so much I wanted to write about today.

First off, the Detroit City Council really pissed me off. On Friday they had to vote on whether to transfer running of the Detroit Zoo to the Detroit Zoological Society. There was $4 million at stake. They transfer and the Zoo gets a badly needed $4 million. They don't transfer, they don't get the money and the Zoo closes. I mean, really, how fucking hard is that bloody decision? I'm beyond furious! I am a friggin' member of the Detroit Zoo and my membership expires April 12. I called them yesterday to see what I could do. They thanked me, took down my name and member # and said Yes, bombarding the Detroit City Council with phone calls would be great. I filed a complaint through their website, but I have a feeling it's not going to do me any good.

I'm positive it's a power play issue between the Council and the Mayor. To understand City of Detroit politics is to be insane – for the record. It's all about control and they're willing to destroy one of the top 10 zoos in the country for their fucking egos! I'm so angry I could spit nails. In today's paper, they defended themselves saying they didn't have time to read the proposal and that they were being forced into a decision w/o adequate information. The next paragraph debunks that and says that they had the proposal in front of them since November. I don't know about you, but I think I would have had time to read the damn thing.

I honestly hadn't been worried about the vote which took place on Friday because it was such a no-brainer! How could anybody in their right mind vote AGAINST the zoo!!!??? Do they have any idea how much money major corporations, including Ford and GM, have put into the Zoo just in the past couple of years??? There have been major projects going on as the Zoo works hard to be an educational tool and not just a place to look at animals. They have events and educational programs happening all the time there. The ones who will suffer from this aren't the stupid ass City Council, but the children of metro Detroit. And we just got rhinos!!!!!!!! I'm ready to take Friday off from work (it's supposed to be in the 50s) to go and visit the Zoo before short-sighted dumbasses who care more about power than anything else close one of places I love most in this city.

FUCKERS!

If you live in the Metro area or even if you just care about things like this, please call and pitch a fit! Here's the website for the Detroit City Council. Harass the shit out of them.

Sign this petition if you think the Detroit Zoo shouldn't close. A petition like this helped save Wanda & Winky last year. Let's see if we can do it again!

Oh yeah, I'm going to try to give up swearing for Lent as well. ;-)

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, 21 February, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm giving up sacrifice for Lent!

 
At Tuesday, 21 February, 2006, Blogger mr. schprock said...

"Oh yeah, I'm going to try to give up swearing for Lent as well."

Swear off swearing? Don't forget "Lent" is a four-letter-word.

Good luck with the zoo. I like how you're so involved and passionate about things that really matter. The only thing I'm passionate about is getting rid of the DH in the American League. Not quite the same…

 
At Tuesday, 21 February, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

I usually give up sex for Lent...mind you not voluntarily. I'm not even Catholic. Don't give up swearing. It's a great creative outlet and stress reliever. You want to go into that doctor's appointment as healthy as possible. ;)

 
At Thursday, 23 February, 2006, Blogger Kathleen said...

Smed - I swear my brother became Born Again so that he could eat candy those 40 days.

Mr. Schprock - I'm afraid I do not understand why people are so vehemently against the DH. I like the DH.

Jason - It just helps me tone it down. I can't actually give it up completely.

 
At Thursday, 23 February, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Okay, petition signed! I might be way down in Colorado but that's just crap that they would even consider closing the zoo!!

 
At Tuesday, 28 February, 2006, Blogger Glen said...

I'm giving up Sour Cream and Salsa Pork Rinds again. Last year I made it to day 4 and then there was a hockey game on CBC so my whole lent was shot to hell. I blame Ron McLean!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home