Thursday, February 16, 2006

And now I'm leaving...

I wrote this Tuesday night but never got around to typing it up and posting it yesterday. I'm lame, what can I say?

Am I the last person in the world to know that Isaac Mizrahi is gay? I was flipping channels after watching Hotel Rwanda and needing something to cheer my ass up. I had thought about watching Shrek 2 but not even five seconds in I realised that I was not in the mood for that. So, there I am flipping channels and hoping to find something fun on Style. And there is Isaac interviewing John Waters. He's not as big a freak as his movies would make you think – or at least he wasn't being too freaky. They were busily comparing gay bars between New York and Baltimore. It make me long a little bit for San Francisco. I really miss hanging out with gay men.

Has everyone seen Hotel Rwanda? Just so you know, those are two different links. The first one is a synopsis. The second is the Review page from rottentomatoes.com. There's only one green splat on the whole page. Although someone used "mawkish" in their good review and I think its use trivialises the movie and its message.

I was so tired on Tuesday night after watching it because I cried during half the movie. It's hard to watch and know that we did nothing to help those poor people. I'm getting the documentary on the Rwandan genocide from Netflix (thanks for the "throttling," Netflix) sometime this week, I hope, and I'm interested to learn more about it. It broke my heart to know that the Hutus killed babies and children because they were literally trying to wipe out the next generation of Tutsis. I was completely drained after this movie. The little blurb on the Netflix Tyvek envelope called it "Africa's Schindler's List." If you haven't seen it, please rent it. It's worth the half of a box of tissues and the tears to learn about countries we normally pay no attention to. I dragged out the atlas to see exactly where Rwanda is and was surprised to see how incredibly small it is.

As I'm being "throttled" by Netflix I had no movies from them to watch last night, so I put in one of my new Hitchcock DVDs (I ordered a bunch from DVDempire last week). I watched Saboteur which I had seen once. I remembered liking the ending where the title character is hanging off the Statue of Liberty's torch. And then I watched Rope which I bought in my first round of Hitchcock Movie Buying last year sometime. I now have to re-watch Strangers on a Train since I read that at the end when the carousel goes out of control that there was no stunt guy and that the little old man crawling under it would have been killed if he had lifted his head an inch. That freaks me out!

The 2006-2007 DSO schedule came out this week and I read this article which frightened me. A Tap Concerto? With a Tap Dancer? I'm just so scared that's going to suck like a Hoover. And apparently this piece of music was co-commissioned by the DSO. I'm sorry, but someone asked for that???? The last world premiere I attended at the DSO was so godawful it wasn't funny. It was a Concerto for Saxophones and Orchestra. Sixth paragraph down on that page is where you'll find the description. If he had left the saxophones parts out, it would have been beautiful. The really annoying thing is all the jazz types in the city showed up for that piece and left immediately. I sat through their craptacular piece of music, the least they could have done was stay and listen to some music where all the notes actually fit together and don't jar the nerve endings. The fact that I'm not really a fan of the various saxophones (James Carter played two different ones that night) certainly didn't help this piece's case. ;-)

7 Comments:

At Thursday, 16 February, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But how long could you stand to be in the same room as Johnny Weir. For me, it'd be about 30 seconds before I'd flee in panic and terror.

 
At Thursday, 16 February, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

Yes...I think you ARE the last person to know that Isaac Mizrahi is gay. Might want to have your gaydar checked. You know about Richard Simmons and Christopher Lowell don't you??? If you missing hanging out with gay men you could hang out with my roommate... ;)

 
At Thursday, 16 February, 2006, Blogger GoingLoopy said...

Um, Kathleen? He's like, a fashion designer. :)

 
At Friday, 17 February, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear God Kathleen, you are the last person on earth to realize he is gay.

 
At Friday, 17 February, 2006, Blogger Scott said...

I've been meaning to check out Hotel Rwanda, but my wife is an uber-wimp when it comes to atrocities. Maybe I'll get it and watch when she goes to bed one night.

 
At Friday, 17 February, 2006, Blogger fakies said...

I haven't seen Hotel Rwanda yet, but I've been wondering if I have the stomach for it.

Ever since I found out about the throttling, I've been consistently pissed off. I don't see why I should get penalized, just because I actually return my movies in a timely fashion. Grr...

 
At Friday, 17 February, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

Wow, that throttling thing is a major piss-off.
But oh my GOD, Kathleen!!!!! Helen Keller knew Isaac Mizrahi is gay. He is as gay as New Year's Eve! He makes Liberace look absolutely butch.
Let me know if you suspect anyone else of being gay. My gaydar is in prime condition. I'll set you...er...straight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home