Monday, October 03, 2005

Weekend Stuff (Movies, Nephew b-day party) and Pics!

I watched the Alfie remake sometime over the weekend and actually liked it. I think that having seen the original helped because I then knew it wasn't a comedy and I didn't expect comedy. I really think the powers that be did both movies an injustice by advertising the movie in such a way that you go in thinking it's going to be uproariously funny and it ends up being very serious. Of course, I don't think Jude Law learned anything from his portrayal of Alfie the womaniser since he hasn't changed his own womanising ways, but I guess life doesn't necessarily follow art.

I also watched two other movies that you probably haven't heard of (except for You*Name*It) Amen and Amateur. I liked both of them a lot, actually. Amen is about the man who invented the Zyklon B gas which the Nazis used to kill the Jews, although he had invented it to purify water, and his efforts to contact the Vatican and the Swedes to get the word out. I thought it was quite compelling and sad and worth the two hours. Amateur was a recommendation from You*Name*It and for once he wasn't wrong. ;-)

I have a question for my readers. You*Name*It also recommends Dumb & Dumber (which I've already agreed to watch under duress) and The Bridges of Madison County. I have NOT agreed to watch Bridges, because the thought makes me break out into hives. What do you all say? Have you see it? Did you like it? If so, what did you like about it? If not, why not? Should I watch it, hives and all?

Today is my nephew's sixth birthday which means that we celebrated yesterday with SIL's sister, BIL and mother and my two sisters and Mom and Grandma. Oh yeah, Grandma's husband was there too. Amazingly enough, he did not ask how work was…or did he? I'm so used to the question that I think I block it out. Every single solitary time he sees me he asks how work is because he used to work for the same company. And he asks how the founder of the company is doing, although the founder has been dead a good many years. *sigh* I know I should cut him some slack since he is old. I just don't think he makes Grandma happy and Grandma should only be happy.

And here are the pics of Oriol and his biggest fan!



3 Comments:

At Monday, 03 October, 2005, Blogger Jason said...

As far as "The Bridges of Madison County" I'd say nay. It was well done, but I'm not big on "affair" movies. As far as "Dumb and Dumber", I'm truly sorry you agreed to that. Great pics!

 
At Monday, 03 October, 2005, Blogger MJW said...

You*Name*It here: First off, "Dumb and Dumber" is a guilty pleasure! I want everyone to know that! It's not high art, and it's not even medium art. But, when it is at its best, it is a perfectly accurate parody of a certain class of lovable "losers" that we all know and avoid. I usually steer completely clear of this particular comedy genre. In fact, I usually cannot stand this sort of comedy. "Dumb and Dumber" is the outstanding exception to the rule.

That being said, I just watched the first fifteen minutes of "Dumb and Dumber" again yesterday on TBS, and I tried to do so with Kathleen's "world view" on my mind. Although the beginning is the weakest part of the movie, I must say that I am withdrawing my request for her to watch it. I don't think she will like it after all. If I had not had her movie preferences on my mind while I was watching it, I would not have viewed it so critically. The hilarious parts begin about a quarter of the way into the movie, but I gave up just before they started and worried that it might be too late to stop Kathleen from watching it. I still say that it is laugh-out-loud hilarious (in many places), but I just don't see Kathleen as being able to get past the first part of the movie, and I don't want her never to trust me again with regard to movies. :-)

As for "The Bridges of Madison County," I stand my by recommendation wholeheartedly. There are cheap, tawdry, illicit affairs, and there are once-in-a-lifetime, beyond-ones- control, "made-in-heaven" affairs. Just as with anything else in life, the two types cannot be lumped into one category and condemned without distinction. "Bridges" is about the latter sort of affair.

 
At Tuesday, 04 October, 2005, Blogger Kathleen said...

MW - LOL! Holy crap! I didn't mean to make you defensive - guilty pleasure or not. And I said I would watch it, so I will. And I shall try to keep an open mind now that you qualified the first fifteen minutes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home