Thursday, August 18, 2005

Swear Words and more Baseball

I took the What Curse Word Are You? Quiz which I found at TrueJerseyGirl's blog. It's a complete shocker than my word is not the well-known F one.

Your word is SHIT. You are laid back and relaxed,
and most people like you. You don't especially
want to stand out from the crowd, you are
pretty happy with your lot.


Which Swear (Curse) Word Are You?
brought to you by Quizilla

When I got to the gym yesterday and got my usual elliptical machine right in front of the TV that shows ESPN I noticed that they were showing the Boston/Detroit baseball game. Cool. Didn't need my book. As I'm watching though, I notice something quite intriguing. The Boston Red Sox were apparently playing the game against nobody. I finally commented to the guy next to me that ESPN was simply ignoring the Tigers' existence. He said, "Well, it's a national broadcast (DUH) and they're the World Series Champs." Uh huh. I understand that, but dear God. The shit they were saying. At the time I started watching the Red Sox were down 5-2. They got one run and then that same inning Chris Shelton (a great addition at first base) hit a homer with nobody on. At the end of that inning, "Boston came within 4 of tying the game." Or something like that. I just looked at the TV and couldn't believe it. They were spinning everything to be in Boston's favor. Now mind you, I like Boston. I was cheering for them last year when they beat the Yankees and then went on to take care of St. Louis for their first World Series in 40 million years or whatever the actual count was. But I don't root for them over my Boys and I just think a little balanced announcing would be nice. Literally, when the Tigers were up to bat they talked only about the Boston pitcher. Then when Boston was at bat, they only talked about the Boston batters. They wanted Boston to win that game so badly, they could taste it. By the end of the game I had moved onto the treadmill, so there was a different guy next to me. I turned to him and said, "ESPN Is going to be really pissed when the Tigers win this game." It was very close, but the Tiges held on in the top of the 9th to retire the side on a double play ball hit by David Ortiz who had killed us the night before and win 6-5. Good job to Placido and Brandon for that beautiful double play! And of course, a very nice catch by Chris Shelton. Woohoo!!! Now, please, dear Tigers, deliver me a birthday win tomorrow night against the Blue Jays!!!

3 Comments:

At Thursday, 18 August, 2005, Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

I knew before I even took that quiz that I was the F word. No doubt in my mind!

I was in Boston once and watching the Bruins/Devils game and it was the same thing with the commentators (local ones) - it was like the Devs weren't even there.

 
At Thursday, 18 August, 2005, Blogger John said...

It's almost acceptable on a local level, but on a national stage both teams should be treated with the same respect. Unfortunately, it seems like that's hardly ever the case, at least not when there's no heated rivalry involved.

Boston was on the other side of the snub last year during the ALCS and WS games on FOX. Maybe I'm just biased, but I swear I could almost hear Joe Buck choking back the bile when the Sox won it.

Oh, and my cuss word is "Bugger" I'm British, apperently. Cheerio.
"Your word is BUGGER. You are generally quite restrained, but sometimes your anger or frustration come to the surface and it all comes out. Yet you somehow can't stop sounding polite, despite it all."

 
At Friday, 19 August, 2005, Blogger Kathleen said...

John - The Tigers announcers do a better job of talking about both teams than ESPN, but I understand what you say. Of course, isn't Joe Buck a St. Louis guy? Even so, a little balance is a nice thing.

TJG - I thought I would be the F word, but the description doesn't really describe. The SHIT description was definitely more me, I think. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home