Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Joy Division & Control

This Friday evening I will be crying. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it. The Joy Division movie, Control opens here in Detroit and I'm going that night with BST. We're both planning on going again on Sunday because most of our friends can't go on Friday night, but we can't wait.

I know I'll be crying because every time I see the trailer, I cry. I can't even imagine making it through the whole movie, but I will because Joy Division is my favorite band of all time and I have read every book about them and even bought the reissued LPs recently even though I don't even own a record player. They were so incredibly beautiful and I'm such a JD geek that I had to have them. The CDs will be reissued next week and I'll be buying them as well. Each comes with a previously unreleased concert. MUST HAVE.



Here is actual footage from a Joy Division concert. The sound is kind of crap and it's not my favorite song, although it's been covered at least a couple of times. I know Grace Jones covered it years ago.



And this is their most well-known song, Love Will Tear Us Apart, which are the words on his gravestone. One of my biggest dreams is to get to Macclesfield, England and visit Ian's grave. I know a guy who has a picture of it in his wallet. Yup, it too makes me cry.



This is my absolutely favorite Joy Division song. The video was done after Ian had died and was directed by Anton Corbijn who directed the movie. The pictures of Ian used in the video were taken by Anton himself. He is a brilliant photographer, as well as video (and now movie) director and took many of the iconic pictures of Ian.



I now have no mascara left. I'm such a girl.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At Tuesday, 23 October, 2007, Blogger Jason said...

See you Sunday!

 
At Wednesday, 24 October, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Jason - Just bought my ticket.

 
At Wednesday, 24 October, 2007, Blogger Babs Gladhand said...

I consider myself to be pretty music savvy. At least I used to. How come I've never heard of Joy Division?

I think I've been living in Arkansas too long.

Have a great time tonight and may you blubber like there's no tomorrow.

 
At Wednesday, 24 October, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Babs - Lots of people have never heard of Joy Division, which is just sad, in my book. They were formed in late 1977 and Ian killed himself in May 1980 on the eve of their first American tour. They turned into New Order, of whom I'm sure you've heard. Their two albums were Unknown Pleasures and Closer (which was released after Ian's death). If the movie comes to Arkansas, you must check it out. It's appears to be absolutely beautifully done and the guy who plays Ian looks just freaking like him.

 
At Wednesday, 24 October, 2007, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

Your Joy Division post has me all sad as well, but that's because I'm at home tonight and can't watch the videos on this dial-up contraption...

Joy Division's career roughly coincided with my college radio career, otherwise I might not have heard of them myself. They were a little too fatalistic for my taste (you can't get much more fatalistic than suicide) but they were undoubtedly talented. "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is one great song.

 
At Wednesday, 24 October, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

I had never heard of Joy Division before reading about them on your blog.

 
At Thursday, 25 October, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Dr. - I now know that you're a few years older than me. Maybe one day I'll talk about Joe who introduced me to JD. The funny thing is that while their music is considered sad, I've found it cheers me up when I'm sad.

Fermi - I have made it my goal in life to introduce more people to the beauty that is Joy Division. Although I know they do not appeal to everybody. My Little Brother can't stand Ian's voice - which I just don't get.

 
At Thursday, 01 November, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got your email. I'll reply on your blog.

Love Will Tear Us Apart was played a lot in the Goth club I used to frequent in Houston. A lot of people there loved Joy Division, The Cure, the Smiths, etc. So yes, I've heard Joy Division, I just didn't know what band it was.

I like your favorite song by them. Very atmospheric and it builds up, sort of crescendos. That's cool.

Did you ever see the movie Marie Antionette? I actually like Sofia Coppola and thought that movie was pretty watchable. A lot of critics hated it because it was more art film than history, but I liked it. Anyways, Joy Division belonged on that soundtrack. They had Siouxie and the Banshees, New Order, Bow Wow Wow, Aphex Twin, etc.

 
At Thursday, 01 November, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Zombie - Nope, haven't seen Marie Antoinette. Do you recommend beyond the soundtrack? For the record, I hate New Order?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home