Tuesday, October 16, 2007

2007-08 Hockey Pool Draft & Rollins

I'm back from Maine where I had an absolutely fabulously brilliant time! It was gorgeous (pics, I swear, once I get that infernal external hard drive and can download them) and fun and just so lovely.

We had some weather issues coming home and ended up barely making our connection to Detroit in DC. I was a tad stressed, but we made it and for that I was thankful. I did not wish to spend the night in DC.

Saturday was Hockey Pool Draft Day or as GtG likes to call it "The Best Day of the Year." I drafted 2nd which is sad when I tell you that I'm in 6th place (two up from yesterday, but still). For the few hockey fans who read my stuff, here is my team until halfway through the season when we get to drop the non-performers - of whom I hope have none on my team.

1. Joe Thornton (San Jose Sharks)
2. Martin St. Louis (Tampa Bay)
3. Rod Brind'amour (Carolina Hurricanes)
4. J.P. Dumont (Nashville Predators)
5. Mikael Samuelsson (Detroit Red Wings)
6. Kimmo Timonen (Philadelphia Flyers)
7. Bill Guerin (New York Islanders)
8. Brad Boyes (St. Louis Blues) (Petr Cajanek, my original pick got sent to the AHL or something, so my hockey pool let me pick a replacement)
9. Zach Parise (New Jersey Devils)
10. Miko Koivu (Minnesota Wild - stupid name so I went with Twins)
11. Mark Parrish (Minnesota Wild)
12. Glen Metropolit (Boston Bruins)
13. John-Michael Liles (Colorado Avalanche)

I have a tendency to pick with my heart, because I've found that if I don't like my team then I just don't enjoy hockey pool. If someone is on my team and I don't like them - for whatever reason - I get upset if they don't do well. Whereas if I like a person and they don't do as well as I'd like, I forgive them, because I like them. As I told someone yesterday, I'm a girl and it's just the way I am.

After hockey pool, it was straight out to Ann Arbor for Rollins Spoken Word: Provoked concert. I had never seen him before although I've always wanted to go. We had Row H and GtG made sure I had the center seat so I could see. I lucked out completely by having absolutely no one sitting directly in front of me, so I had an unobstructed view the entire night. He went on right at 8:03 and didn't stop even to take a drink of water until 11:00 p.m. when he said Good Night and walked off the stage. He was so utterly brilliant and I'm bummed that I have missed his previous shows.

I've been tagged by FWG to do a book survey, but I haven't had time to get to do it quite yet. Soon, though. I'll work on it, since it seems to be one that's going to take some thought.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

At Tuesday, 16 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're kidding me! I was at the Rollins show Saturday night!

 
At Tuesday, 16 October, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

Hmmm, I noticed that you don't have any Atlanta Thrashers on your team. Which is probably a good thing if you actually want to win, unlike the Thrashers (who are losing again tonight as I type this). The Atlanta sports scene is definitely "meh" this fall.

Rollins is intense. I am not surprised to hear it was a great show.

 
At Tuesday, 16 October, 2007, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

TWINS! That may be fine in baseball circles but hockey's a little more on the wild side if you're catching my drift!

Beleive me, guys pick with their heart a little bit too. They just don't admit it as easily.

I hereby grant you an extension on the book report. No points shall be docked for lateness!

mmmmmmm... bgzcsdij with cheese...

 
At Wednesday, 17 October, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Urs - Where were you sitting???

Fermi - Just didn't fall that way, when we only get 13 players and there are 30+ teams in the league (too many teams, if you ask me). I'm sure I like at least one Atlanta player.

FWG - HUH? TWINS? What about Twins? Do you like to confuse me??? I should have taken Dany Heatly, dang it! But then I wouldn't have gotten Thornton. And if Davo hadn't screwed me and taken Datsyuk first, I would have taken him.

 
At Wednesday, 17 October, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

FWG - Gotcha - I actually had to think for the stupid name of the Minnesota hockey team. I should have said North Stars.

 
At Wednesday, 17 October, 2007, Blogger LL said...

But on the bright side...

HOCKEY'S ON!!!

Even if I can't see it on TV *grumblegrumblegrumble*

 
At Wednesday, 17 October, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

LL - we are wishing we couldn't get the games on TV. 0-6 and the coach just got canned. Great way to start the season, no?

kat - stick with the Bruins guys.

 
At Thursday, 18 October, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - No Versus for you - it's crap coverage, if that makes you feel better.

Fermi - Trust me, you're better off w/o Bob Hartley. I can't stand him. I hope Don can turn them around. He's a good guy.

 
At Thursday, 18 October, 2007, Blogger LL said...

No... not much consolation. But thanks anyway.

If the damn thing wasn't $160, I'd pony up for NHL Center Ice.

 
At Thursday, 18 October, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

Hey! Atlanta finally won a game tonight. Woohoo.

 
At Friday, 19 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Rollins. Unfortunately, I've only seen him once, back all the way in '96. Saw him in Chico, California. He started off the show asking "where the f*** is Chico?"

The whole show, he got so many laughs.

Couldn't name 1 current hockey player, now that Wayne and Mario are both retired. I love watching the game live, don't get me wrong. I've even watched amateur hockey games. And even they fight.

 
At Friday, 19 October, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

LL - I think starting in January, there will be some games on Saturdays on NBC.

Fermi - See!? Told you it was Bob Hartley.

Zombie - I think I'm officially in love (lust?) with Rollins. I would hope after reading my post you could now name 13 hockey players! Going to an OHL (Ontario Hockey League) game on Saturday night. Should be fun.

 
At Friday, 19 October, 2007, Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hey my favourite season is summer too
I love all year round summer, guess that's why we have two hemispheres. If I had my way I'd spend my time going back and forth

Ecuador & Australia for the 'winter' and USA Europe for the 'summer'

Anyways, here's wishing you a grand weekend, whatever it is you do.

 
At Saturday, 20 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rollins is cool. I could see how a gal can be in love with him. He's fit and very smart, and funny. And he's passionate about his beliefs.

 
At Sunday, 21 October, 2007, Blogger Heather said...

You have Thornton & Liles! I love them for purely girly reasons! Well...Liles cuz he's an Av and the fact that he's pretty yummy. Anyways, I tried to do fantasy hockey last year and forgot all about my team...I finished last of course. Good luck with yours!

 
At Monday, 22 October, 2007, Blogger Beth said...

I've never seen Rollins. Sounds very heavy. I don't know much about hockey or baseball. Hubby says we should take in a live hockey game and I'm thinking he's right.

 
At Monday, 22 October, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Heather - I had trouble choosing Liles since he is an Av, but he wasn't part of the hated Avs team, so I went with it. I'm trying to get over my hatred of the Avs, thanks to you. ;-) I love Scott Thornton, too.

Beth - Henry Rollins was the 2nd lead singer of the legendary punk band, Black Flag. He had his own band in the 90s called The Rollins Band. He's intense, angry and simply brilliant. Hockey is excellent in person, try an AHL game. NHL arenas are too large to get the full affect in person. And it's a lot more expensive.

 
At Wednesday, 24 October, 2007, Blogger dr sardonicus said...

Plenty of available seats at Nashville Predators games. Come on down!

Sadly, I have a feeling the Preds won't be in Nashville for more than another season or two.

 
At Thursday, 25 October, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Dr - These days there are plenty of seats at Wings games, too. The Michigan economy is wreaking havoc on such frivolities. I've been to Columbus for a game and I love the Preds (and Barry Trotz), so that would be cool to get to a game down there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home