Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Future Ex-Girlfriend

I got tagged by Fermi to list my ten favorite things that start with "K" about two weeks ago and I'm finally getting around to it. It's even worse when you realise I volunteered for the tagging. I did this same game last year with the letter "L."

My excuses are myriad: 1) Justin's No Hitter begged me to blog about it. 2) I was busy on Thursday getting ready for my weekend trip to Austin. 3) I was gone Friday - Sunday in Austin. 4) Yesterday was just busy, besides me being very tired from the 12 hour ordeal that getting home was on Sunday.

Austin was cool (actually, it was hot and extremely humid). I went for a wedding along with a number of other Michigan friends, so it was one big party weekend, except for the airport on Sunday and even then, it would have been worse if there hadn't been a good nine of us affected by the Dallas-Fort Worth airport power outage.

Friday was a pizza party at the bride & groom's house where I ate so much pizza it wasn't even funny. Saturday we could have gone to help set up for the wedding, but the alternate plan was going to Waterloo Records. A trip to an ultra cool record store beats out cleaning a bar and decorating it for a wedding.

When I walked in the door I felt the same way I did the first time I walked into The World's Greatest Yarn Store - completely overwhelmed. I immediately found DIY: Do It Yourself about the Rise of Independent Music After Punk. I found this fascinating as I had just finished reading about it in this book: Rip It Up and Start Again. There was also a CD of American Hardcore, but saw there was a DVD of it, so I decided I would rent the DVD from Netflix to see if I need the album. Due to the same book mentioned earlier and the Ian Curtis book from last month, I was on a mission to find The Idiot by Iggy Pop and Low by David Bowie. Although the Sex Pistols are normally given all the credit for a good number of the postpunk bands, these two albums are listed as the ones that most inspired people to want to make music. The Pistols just gave them the wherewithal to try. I also picked up Chairs Missing by Wire, which was one of the original postpunk bands about which I had read in the book.

I started out in the New section and the only Low they had was a Japanese import for $27. Uh no! They did have The Idiot new as well. Then I found found the Used section. Oy vey. Luckily, Low & The Idiot were available used, so that was very exciting. I found a bunch of other Iggy which I didn't have so I grabbed those. Then Rick said, "Did you see the boxsets?" ARGH!!! I behaved myself, but only because I stopped before I got too far into it. Then Rick said, "Did you see this?" NO!!!! "This" was this 70s punk boxset. Yeah, you know it. I had to get it. I put the extra Iggy Pop CDs back, keeping only The Idiot. I put back the Talk Talk, as well.

Then when I'm standing in line to pay for my booty, GtG handed me Chutes Too Narrow by The Shins saying I had to have it. And then in a fit of generosity I picked up TWO postcards for Blue Meany.

Okay, now on to the actual post of the day:

Kaleidoscope – I absolutely love kaleidoscopes, but they have to be the real ones, not those icky fake stupid fly eyes ones. They have to have the little bits of colored glass (or plastic) that move as you turn the tube. I found one at FAO Schwartz in Vegas two years in their old-fashioned tin toy department. It wasn't expensive and it sits on my nightstand. I found out that my BIL makes them, but he hasn't made me one yet. I think I'll need to nag him.

Kabob - When I lived in San Francisco there was a vegan restaurant near the apartment which had these incredible Zen Kabobs made from seitan. They were so fabulous that when the restaurant closed to focus on their bakery (you might have eaten their cookies if you flew United a few years back) TAS and I went a couple of times the last week to indulge.

Kahlo - I never had an overarching interest in Frida Kahlo until I saw the movie and then went to her house in Coyoacan in Mexico City. Art is so much more interesting to me when I know what the artist was thinking or feeling. My mom was so interested after the trip that she's taken to buying books about Frida.

K - The symbol for strikes in baseball. After last week's no-hitter and Justin's 8 strikeouts, I decided to add it to the list. I do not like the "K" when it's my guys striking out.

Kamehameha - I learned about King Kamehameha way back in grade school and for some reason his name stuck with me my whole life. I couldn't tell you anything about him now without doing a google search, but I know I found him fascinating when I was young.

Karnak - I've never been to Karnak but I have grand dreams of getting back to Egypt and seeing everything I didn't see the first time around.

Keaton (Buster) - I never really knew anything about Buster Keaton until I saw Benny & Joon. Johnny Depp's portrayal of Sam intrigued me, so I ended up renting a bunch of Buster Keaton movies which I quite enjoyed.

Khufu (Cheops) - More ancient Egypt, but I actually not only saw his pyramid, but went inside it. He was apparently quite the bastard, I just like his pyramid.

knit - Duh! It's all I do. Remember, if you need a scarf, let me know. I have you covered. I'm already working on scarves for the Christmas craft show season.

kohlrabi - This is a very popular vegetable when my family (extended) has a veggie tray for get togethers. It goes quickly. I've never had any way but raw. I need to buy some for myself.

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At Tuesday, 19 June, 2007, Blogger fermicat said...

What a successful shopping excursion!

Kamehamawho? ;-)

I also love Kaleidoscopes, and agree they have to be real or don't bother.

Good list!

 
At Tuesday, 19 June, 2007, Blogger Kelly said...

Great list of "k's". You forgot me, "K"elly : )

 
At Tuesday, 19 June, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Fermi - Too successful!!! And I forgot to tell you about my Iggy Pop t-shirt.

MyUtopia - Oh, how silly of me! ;-)

 
At Tuesday, 19 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need - NEED - to copy that box set!

 
At Tuesday, 19 June, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Urs - That's illegal! ;-)

 
At Wednesday, 20 June, 2007, Blogger fakies said...

I love kaleidoscopes, but I haven't had one since I was little. I have a screensaver that's close, though.

 
At Wednesday, 20 June, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Trina - We aren't allowed to have fun screensavers. Our screen goes blank after 15 minutes - can't even adjust the time. But I use the Rotating Particles skin on Windows Media Player when I forget my stupid iPod and have to listen to CDs at work.

 
At Wednesday, 20 June, 2007, Blogger Nob Hill Omnivore said...

I love Frida Kahlo, have a post card of Personda en la Muerte at my desk and the owner of Frida's Bar in Puerto Vallarta keeps offering to sell his bar to Coy and I, we have 2 years to decide he told me while handing me a birthday shot.

I had to look up kholrabi, does it really taste like broccoli? Wikipedia notes Hamburg Township, Michigan, is the "Kohlrabi Capital of the World"

 
At Wednesday, 20 June, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Sal - I don't think Kohlrabi tastes like broccoli at all. It tastes like kohlrabi. ;-) Hamburg, MI? Probably why it's popular here.

 
At Monday, 25 June, 2007, Blogger mr. schprock said...

Didn't Ralph Kramden say "kamehameha" over and over again whenever he got nervous?

 
At Monday, 25 June, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Schprockie - Never watched the Honeymooners.

 
At Monday, 25 June, 2007, Blogger Glen said...

Did you spend any time with that Shins record yet??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home