Monday, April 30, 2007

Brian Bluhm - Tigers Fan - RIP

I know, I still owe you a Vegas entry but I want to upload my pictures to flickr.com first and I haven’t gotten that far. I read Mr Schprock tonight and he reminded me that I wanted to write about one of the VTA victims, not because he’s more deserving than the others, but because I’m hoping to, maybe, help people to name someone other than “Murderer #12” as Schprockie called him. I will refuse to call him by name in a completely worthless effort to keep his desired infamy from him.

The person I have chosen to tell you about is Brian Bluhm, mostly because he was a big Detroit Tigers fan, so I feel some connection to him, even though I never frequented the on-line chat sites on which he regularly posted. I read about him in the local papers where his on-line friends talked about how they frantically tried to reach him on Monday with exhortations to please post to let them know he was okay. That Tuesday night at the start of the Tigers game, they had a moment of silence for him and the other victims, as he had even befriended a number of Tigers players via the Internet.

He lived in the Detroit as a child, but never lost his love of the Tigers. He was to have graduated two weeks after his death with a graduate degree in water resources and had already accepted a job in a nice American League city – Baltimore - so he could have caught his beloved Tigers at least once a year.

Does it really matter that the Tigers did well last year in the greater scheme of things? Not really, probably, but at least he got to see them get to the World Series one last time before his life was taken from him so uselessly.

Now that I’ve written this, I realize it’s not the best effort and is probably even a little lame, but I hope all of you at least remember Brian Bluhm’s name for a little while longer…or even feel like remembering another victim who deserves/deserved more than they got.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, 01 May, 2007, Blogger Beth said...

I think it's a great idea to remember the students like this. I did this with 9-11 victims. It's so much better to concentrate on those who deserve it.

 
At Tuesday, 01 May, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Beth - I remembered that you did this for a 9/11 victim and decided to emulate you.

 
At Tuesday, 01 May, 2007, Blogger mr. schprock said...

Not the best effort? A little lame? Not so, Kathleen, that was perfect. Thank you for writing this.

 
At Wednesday, 02 May, 2007, Blogger Scott said...

I was thinking like my other esteemed colleagues, this was done well and in good taste. I remember that 9/11 thing that Beth did. Someday people may use this piece for research. You never know.

 
At Wednesday, 02 May, 2007, Blogger Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Very nice, Kats.

But you didn't really go to Vegas, did you!

mvsoob, mvsoob, mvsoob...

 
At Wednesday, 02 May, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

Schprockie - You're sweet. I wish I could have written more, but that was about all I could find.

Scott - Thanks, that means a lot to me coming from a real writer.

FWG - Wait until you see my pics of Vegas...that'll prove it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home